Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

so sad to be disappointed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
once found out about the model 3 in july 2016..i went on line placed my deposit and waited..it was a while but i didn't mind..my main purpose for getting an EV was to help reduce emissions.the plus came when it came to configuring mine i could get the dual motor ..sweet..it will be quick too.well finally i got it last friday..and i noticed right away the inconsistency in the gaps..i said something to the delivery guy but he said' well that is to be expected'..im no expert an know nothing about making a car but if i notice the large and small spaces chances are its very obvious..i took the car to be tinted and the tinting guy said wow these gaps are all over the place.i said i know..i showed him where on one side it is what visibly to my naked eye looks like a 1/4 inch off..i called tesla and made an appointment to bring it in.they didn't have an opening for 2 weeks..i had planned to get the car wrapped in a ppf.i took it in to get that done and the guy said he wasn't comfortable doing it because my car was so off.i live in san diego this is one of the best way places here an he has been doing tesla wraps for over 5 years..he said it is the worst tesla he has seen.my heart sunk. i could over hear him talking to another guy and the guy said there is no way that car should have been sold..is there no quality control ?
I am a waitress,Ive been a waitress since i was 14 every single thing i have ive tried my best and worked for . my money no more important than the next person . i do not expect any special treatment however i do expect when i pay 72k for a vehicle that the company that produces and sells it to me has tried and done their best.I hope this is not the best this company has to offer. I have been a huge fan because i believe in what is being done here..0 emissions is the most important thing we can do in our generation.its been too long we have been destroying the earth.
when i look at my car (with my untrained eye)i can't find one place where an entire panel has a consistent gap or is flush.it seems like maybe a mistake was made on the first panel and they spent the rest of the time trying to over compensate for this.my car looks horrible..I'm so disappointed ..

• Disagree
Reactions: untilcomplete
Yes, understand your disappointment about the panel gaps. Our 9/2018 Model 3 has a few that are being adjusted as we are also next step planning on Xpel. In fact car being picked up today after being at their body pop up center. Our Model S from last year was fine, and I've seen a lot of other Teslas that were at the delivery center that looked good. Unfortunate luck of the draw I guess. Will say that other than that I've been in love with the car, how it handles and looks in general and anxious to have it back. I'll chock the gaps up to the huge, important 3rd quarter rush. Definite inconvenience to have it adjusted and have to delay our PPF appointment and driving enjoyment; but once it's been corrected will be easy enough to put behind me. Hopefully you'll feel the same way. I don't doubt that Tesla has learned a lot from this past quarter and is working on fixing the issues and providing a better customer experience.

Where exactly are the panel gaps guys? Idk if I don't notice mine or simply don't have any lol

One thing that does annoy the hell out of me is that the car isn't sealed well around the windows.. it looks like something is missing from outside.

The picture I have is of a Mercedes CLA. Look how perfect it is.

Attachments

• 20181014_182246.jpg
    20181014_182246.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 205
Where exactly are the panel gaps guys? Idk if I don't notice mine or simply don't have any lol

One thing that does annoy the hell out of me is that the car isn't sealed well around the windows.. it looks like something is missing from outside.

The picture I have is of a Mercedes CLA. Look how perfect it is.

It varies and is inconsistent, some people have great cars and others have mediocre ones. A quick google shows examples such as these :
MgB6P73.png
DKq7XlQVoAAmXgq.jpg
model-3-1.jpg
closest-look-yet-at-tesla-model-3-exposes-panel-gaps-manual-charge-port-door_25.jpg

It varies and is inconsistent, some people have great cars and others have mediocre ones. A quick google shows examples such as these :
MgB6P73.png
DKq7XlQVoAAmXgq.jpg
model-3-1.jpg
closest-look-yet-at-tesla-model-3-exposes-panel-gaps-manual-charge-port-door_25.jpg

Notably at least three of these pics are of preproduction cars. Top silver has MFR plates, bottom white has the silver alloys underneath the Aeros that preproduction cars had, and bottom silver has the tarp covering the center screen as was common before the public reveal of the car. These are prototypes.

Why did you accept delivery?

If it’s that bad, take Elon up on the 3 day return guarantee. Do not expect service will make everything okay.

It is ridiculous for Tesla to claim that is “normal”. These cars are not cheap and the manufacturing process should reflect that.

i had planned to get the car wrapped in a ppf.i took it in to get that done and the guy said he wasn't comfortable doing it because my car was so off
That is...implausible. If the gaps aren’t perfect, even if they are way off, the body panels can still be wrapped.

You say every gap on your car is off. I have seen many 3’s, up close, and I’ve never seen one anything like what you describe.

Your post is not credible without you producing proof.

MgB6P73.png
This isn't a valid case. The bottom circled item isn't panel to panel. It's a panel to a plastic bumper cover. You would NOT want a large gap there. Bumper covers are usually clipped on coupled with some fasteners and bolts.

Go look at any car or truck in the US w/plastic bumper covers since maybe model year 1984 or so on forward by the time bumper standards became 2.5 mph. You'll also see very little gap between a body panel and a plastic bumper cover.

I've removed the front bumper cover of my Prius because when trying to change a headlight, the clip fell off and I couldn't see to get it back on. You can see a partial removal at
(same generation as my Prius). You can see some fasteners then bolts being removed at the top starting around 1:00. There are bolts on each side behind the wheel liner (2:00)

Reactions: brkaus
every panel on mine looks like the ones in the pictures.i have an untrained eye ..im a waitress, its the first thing i noticed and said something to the delivery guy and he said this is to be expected.he was in and out in no time, plus after selling my car some how my delivery date got changed and i had to wait for another week. i am guilty of being very dependent on a car and felt i was relying heavily on friends for rides so i guess i was desperate.i love how the car drives and i feel very good about not contributing to the green house gases (at least in my transportation)i really dont now very much about tesla this is the first forum ive ever been in. i just feel so let down.this is by far the biggest investment i have made .it took so much 'doing ' to do,,ive probably poured a ocean of coffee to get this car.ive got an appointment to take car in.infact before i got the car i called ahead and asked to have it checked over and i listed the top 8 complaints , so i wouldn't have to waste the depreciating asset of time going in to have anything fixed.i simply am having a difficult time accepting that thesis their best.you are only as strong as your weakest link and unfortunately i have a 72k weak link.i have some pictures i will post if i can figure out how to do it

You joined yesterday just to complain? Hmm. Something doesn't seem right here.
what doesnt seem right? this is the first forum ive ever been on.well i have looked at old posts on other forums to find out the answer to a question ..im on here cuz i feel very frustrated .i dont know who else on earth would want to hear my poor little expensive car owner story..what doesnt seem right? you think i made it up? im confused what you mean?

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
Pics or it didn't happen.
ok you win ..i have nothing to do but find a expensive car forum and try find some type comfort from other owners..unnecessarily mean, this stuff is a time robber. i serve ppl like you all day long.i bet i know what every other server that deals with you says behind your back.your are absolutely right(all the time) of course..try being kind maybe a little positive too..

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
once found out about the model 3 in july 2016..i went on line placed my deposit and waited..it was a while but i didn't mind..my main purpose for getting an EV was to help reduce emissions.the plus came when it came to configuring mine i could get the dual motor ..sweet..it will be quick too.well finally i got it last friday..and i noticed right away the inconsistency in the gaps..i said something to the delivery guy but he said' well that is to be expected'..im no expert an know nothing about making a car but if i notice the large and small spaces chances are its very obvious..i took the car to be tinted and the tinting guy said wow these gaps are all over the place.i said i know..i showed him where on one side it is what visibly to my naked eye looks like a 1/4 inch off..i called tesla and made an appointment to bring it in.they didn't have an opening for 2 weeks..i had planned to get the car wrapped in a ppf.i took it in to get that done and the guy said he wasn't comfortable doing it because my car was so off.i live in san diego this is one of the best way places here an he has been doing tesla wraps for over 5 years..he said it is the worst tesla he has seen.my heart sunk. i could over hear him talking to another guy and the guy said there is no way that car should have been sold..is there no quality control ?
I am a waitress,Ive been a waitress since i was 14 every single thing i have ive tried my best and worked for . my money no more important than the next person . i do not expect any special treatment however i do expect when i pay 72k for a vehicle that the company that produces and sells it to me has tried and done their best.I hope this is not the best this company has to offer. I have been a huge fan because i believe in what is being done here..0 emissions is the most important thing we can do in our generation.its been too long we have been destroying the earth.
when i look at my car (with my untrained eye)i can't find one place where an entire panel has a consistent gap or is flush.it seems like maybe a mistake was made on the first panel and they spent the rest of the time trying to over compensate for this.my car looks horrible..I'm so disappointed ..
My 3 had gaps on the hood and the driver side fender wasn't flush like the passenger side. They had to replace my console and took care of the gaps at that time. They should have better QC.

Barba,

You are probably one of the sweetest, nicest hardest working waitresses in San Diego. if so, this form is a great place for support and advice and your cosmetic problems if missed or ignored by QC can be addressed by Tesla.

On the other hand, there are many people and forces wanting to bash Tesla, short their stock and make money in the process by falsely disparaging the brand. So until you provide some proof it is difficult to determine if you are a hard-working waitress or a hard-working, have-no-shame short.

You joined yesterday just to complain? Hmm. Something doesn't seem right here.

Your comment is arrogant beyond belief. If you read all of the woman's posts she cleary came to this forum looking for some helpful advice. And all you do is question her motivation?

@barbadoskelly, I've been a Tesla owner since 2013. My experience with service over those five year has bee quite good. Don't accept the argument that the gaps are "standard." If the gaps are as you described that's a result of poor assembly and hardly standard. Stand up for your rights as a customer and insist that they be fixed. If your service center resists, take the problem to the executive level in Palo Alto.

Your comment is arrogant beyond belief. If you read all of the woman's posts she cleary came to this forum looking for some helpful advice. And all you do is question her motivation?

@barbadoskelly, I've been a Tesla owner since 2013. My experience with service over those five year has bee quite good. Don't accept the argument that the gaps are "standard." If the gaps are as you described that's a result of poor assembly and hardly standard. Stand up for your rights as a customer and insist that they be fixed. If your service center resists, take the problem to the executive level in Palo Alto.
See SDRick's post. There have been too many of these kinds of posts here, and quite a few have turned out to be trolls.

Reactions: P85_DA and SDRick