Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So the COVID-19 is causing delays?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Congrats to those who got theirs early in March
Basically expect up to 2~3 additional week delay due to the virus
This is what my SA told me this morning, my delivery date was originally this week but not end of March if not April...

Washington state has been hit particularly hard with COVID-19, so that's not surprising. Not sure of the impact on deliveries in other locations. I suspect that other pockets of outbreak such as here in the Bay Area may see some delays as well. Of greater concern is whether or not the Fremont factory's workforce (also in Bay Area) will be asked to stay home, thus impacting worldwide deliveries other than China.

The whole Bay Area is now Shelter in Place until at least April 9th. Can't see how the factory and delivery centers can function when the only places people are allowed to go as of midnight tonight are Food, Medicine, and emergency services.

Yes, bad news on all fronts. I just heard from a friend - ironically in Napa county - that there were long lines at gas stations. I guess people are freaking out.

see Bay Area orders 'shelter in place,' only essential businesses open in 6 counties

When I took the factory tour I did not see a lot of people working very close to each other. It was highly automated with a relatively small number of people for such a large factory.

But if the complete lockdown of the Bay Area requires Tesla to shut down the factory, that is going to have a major impact on deliveries. And that is only going to make them more difficult to get, which will drive up prices on used Teslas. The Tesla marketplace could become as scarce as a roll of toilet paper if it really comes down to this. I hope it does not.

I was waiting for a late March delivery. If it's pushed back to early/mid April, then I can get by and wait until then (family of 4 down to just 1 car now, waiting on the Tesla).

However, if Tesla decides to not fill the remaining pending orders in the beginning of Q2, and instead starts to build non-US models like they normally do at the beginning of each quarter (which would push back my delivery to the end of June), then I'll be forced to buy another car brand if there's no Tesla cars available.

Makes me both :( and :mad: if it comes to that.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
I was waiting for a late March delivery. If it's pushed back to early/mid April, then I can get by and wait until then (family of 4 down to just 1 car now, waiting on the Tesla).

However, if Tesla decides to not fill the remaining pending orders in the beginning of Q2, and instead starts to build non-US models like they normally do at the beginning of each quarter (which would push back my delivery to the end of June), then I'll be forced to buy another car brand if there's no Tesla cars available.

Makes me both :( and :mad: if it comes to that.

Fremont is in Alameda county and all "non-essential" tasks have been suspended in Alameda county (as well as many others). I can't imagine how anyone could get Tesla to be exempt for those regulations. No work can be done in Alameda county until at least April 7th.

Sorry for those people this would impact - workers and buyers.

I ordered 2/29 and my delivery was set for this Saturday the 21st, in Cherry Hill NJ.

Last communication I had with the delivery liaison said we were still on for 3/21 and that they'd keep me updated if that changes. However, a lot has changed since then and I haven't heard back from the delivery person since Friday or the SA I've been working with for weeks since 3/6.

So many companies have sent mass emails about how they are either closing or continuing BAU through this pandemic, but I've received nothing from Tesla. If the service centers are closed or deliveries are delayed, that's fine. I'd just like to know. ‍

I ordered on Jan 25 and at that time delivery was anticipated in 7-9 weeks. About a week ago, I got a TXT saying that my 3 Performance was in transit and to schedule delivery. I went online and scheduled it for 3/25. I'm assuming (maybe I shouldn't) that the car will actually be ready for pick-up on that date. :)

Best,

Reactions: lUtriaNt
I'm having trouble understanding why it would be necessary to shutdown a largely robotic assembly line to foster "social distancing". I don't think the rules were made to consider industries that are largely automated. Best,

It’s not just the factory itself. Just 1 example: They have a separate building filled with people who build seats all day. And they aren’t stockpiled...they go right to the factory. Outside of fabricating the frames, the process is hands on.

Also, factory workers have children who are all out of school for the foreseeable future and there are no babysitters... and daycare is shutdown. Who watches them if they have to go to work? What about break rooms? Where do they eat lunch? Etc.

Fun times!

I ordered 2/29 and my delivery was set for this Saturday the 21st, in Cherry Hill NJ.

Last communication I had with the delivery liaison said we were still on for 3/21 and that they'd keep me updated if that changes. However, a lot has changed since then and I haven't heard back from the delivery person since Friday or the SA I've been working with for weeks since 3/6.

So many companies have sent mass emails about how they are either closing or continuing BAU through this pandemic, but I've received nothing from Tesla. If the service centers are closed or deliveries are delayed, that's fine. I'd just like to know. ‍

So far, it's pretty much BAU. I dropped my Model 3 off this morning at the Springfield center for its HW3 upgrade. Turn around time is hopefully by COB tomorrow, but we shall see. Thankfully they had a loaner for me, so even if they shut down, I'm covered .... But this is going to get worse before it gets better ...

Reactions: ellienovember
At least one will already have the virus. It doesn’t care if people want their cars asap, it will just spread if unchecked.

Although I’d love to have my vehicle, I don’t mind waiting if it means less suppliers, factory workers, delivery truck drivers etc all are safer.

We can’t have it all, all of the time.

Agreed. Health of employees comes first, I can wait for the car.

Reactions: jonquiljo