Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So Tired of Curb Rash!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
How is it any easier in the Model 3 the curb your rims than in ANY other car exactly?

It is NOT the car's fault for people getting too close to the curbs. This isn't bowling with the kiddie bumpers down to block the gutters... Just stop driving your damn cars into the curbs and your fine.

The Model 3 is no more prone to survive bad driving than any other vehicle. If people truly have an issue staying between the lines, then buy a different set of rims and tires that get the sidewall to protrude outward further (which can be done with ANY vehicle). Or, buy the rim guard kits off of amazon.

Stop pretending that it is anything BUT the driver's fault.

Re-read what you quoted. Carefully.

I never said it was the cars fault. I’ve been saying that it is the drivers fault through this entire thread. It’s right there in what you quoted.

If you really want to believe that there are that many people that “don’t know how to drive”, and the amount that rims extend away from the car is not a factor in curb rash, that’s fine. You’re free to make up whatever reality you wish.

Again, I’ve already admitted the time I curbed my wheel was my fault. I learned, adjusted and became better at driving the M3. Maybe you’ll become better at reading comprehension after this post and we’ll all come out ahead.

• Disagree
Reactions: Slate and McFlurri
I think the trend towards ever bigger wheels and lower profile tires are a factor. I never had a problem with 15" and 16" wheels. But between my wife and myself curbed three 17" wheels on our Volt. And I've curbed two 18" wheels on my TM3.

Nope. Irrelevant.

This thread has spoken. If your rims extend out a whole foot beyond the tires, it doesn’t matter. If you curb the rim you simply don’t know how to drive.

• Funny
Reactions: Slate and ladysbff
I work for an insurance company and have decades of data showing that there are THAT many people who don’t know how to drive.:D

Well, in fairness, I think it depends on how you classify people.

Does your company insure drivers who don’t know how to drive, or does it insure imperfect humans who occasionally make mistakes?

I don’t know about you, but when I’m driving, I don’t see cars constantly smacking into each other or surrounding objects. It’s actually pretty rare, considering the miles the typical person drives. But if you drive long enough, the odds that you make a mistake and hit something are pretty good.

Doesn’t make you a bad driver. It just means you’re human.

Reactions: RedModel3
Well having watched NASCAR, F1 and so on, well I see a lot
of crashes, hitting curbs and the pit guy getting run over. The depth
perception on the front of the car is very different. I would go so far to
say a blind spot. It not a Tesla problem or a driver issue. Its the way
the car was made for low areo specs. Now in lockdown its jack
and coke day, Please be nice and have a good day.

After review the OP could be a witch, we know what to do
with them.

Last edited:
I'm surprised nobody mentions a few factors that make curb rash more likely on the Tesla Model 3 and probably other Tesla models.
  • Compared to the cars I have driven before, the Model 3 is a tad wider. Have to get used to that. It is, of course, my problem, not the car's, but still …
  • Front and back wheels a farther apart than on other cars. The rear wheels are particularly far aft. This means that in a turn the rear wheels come closer to the curb than in many other cars.
  • Unlike many other cars, the rim and particularly the hub cap almost protrudes over the tire. My current solution to that is a tire that has a rim protector, an extra piece of reinforced rubber around the contact area. It protects against a slight touch, but if you drive against the curb harder, you will still get curb rash.
I have learned to keep the car further away from the curb than I was used to, and I tend to turn the steering wheel later when turning. But my car is occasionally driven by other family members, some of them quite inexperienced drivers. Under these conditions curb rash cannot be avoided. Fortunately it is not a big issue. As I had mentioned, if you get enough curb rash on the hub caps, they look OK again. :cool:

I'm surprised nobody mentions a few factors that make curb rash more likely on the Tesla Model 3 and probably other Tesla models.
  • Compared to the cars I have driven before, the Model 3 is a tad wider. Have to get used to that. It is, of course, my problem, not the car's, but still …
  • Front and back wheels a farther apart than on other cars. The rear wheels are particularly far aft. This means that in a turn the rear wheels come closer to the curb than in many other cars.
  • Unlike many other cars, the rim and particularly the hub cap almost protrudes over the tire. My current solution to that is a tire that has a rim protector, an extra piece of reinforced rubber around the contact area. It protects against a slight touch, but if you drive against the curb harder, you will still get curb rash.
I have learned to keep the car further away from the curb than I was used to, and I tend to turn the steering wheel later when turning. But my car is occasionally driven by other family members, some of them quite inexperienced drivers. Under these conditions curb rash cannot be avoided. Fortunately it is not a big issue. As I had mentioned, if you get enough curb rash on the hub caps, they look OK again. :cool:
You guys just never had big cars in Germany like we had here. My first car* was 48.5 inches (1,231.9 mm) longer, 7.1 inches (180.3 mm) wider and had a wheelbase 13.8 inches (350.5 mm) longer than a Model 3.

*also known as a land yacht. Yep, more than 4 feet longer.

Re-read what you quoted. Carefully.

I never said it was the cars fault. I’ve been saying that it is the drivers fault through this entire thread. It’s right there in what you quoted.

If you really want to believe that there are that many people that “don’t know how to drive”, and the amount that rims extend away from the car is not a factor in curb rash, that’s fine. You’re free to make up whatever reality you wish.

Again, I’ve already admitted the time I curbed my wheel was my fault. I learned, adjusted and became better at driving the M3. Maybe you’ll become better at reading comprehension after this post and we’ll all come out ahead.

OK, how about YOU re-read what YOU wrote... "Carefully"

"It is also true that it’s easier to do this in an M3. Can you not see how both those things can be true?"

Perhaps it is YOU who needs to become better at reading comprehension.

Let me be very clear for YOU to understand... you ready?

IT IS NOT TRUE THAT IT IS ANY EASIER TO CURB YOUR RIMS IN A TESLA VERSUS ANY OTHER VEHICLE.

Both cannot be true. It is solely the fault of any driver to drive their own vehicle INTO THE CURB. Regardless of the make or model.

If you want to avoid the damage from your own inability to stay between the lines then buy a different set of rims and tires, OR buy the rim guard kits.

• Disagree
Reactions: Slate and kilpatds
Some of these posts calling people bad drivers for having curb rash are a joke. You must be those people who do everything you do perfectly, 100% of the time.

I'm still new on the forum. Is this the Tesla forum for teens with wealthy parents?

I've been driving for almost thirty years now and have taken several race driving classes and LOVE driving. Parking next to curbs is something I have rarely ever had to do, so that's where mine came from.

It is what it is. Either I pay to have the wheel repaired or I don't, it's on me.

Some of these posts calling people bad drivers for having curb rash are a joke. You must be those people who do everything you do perfectly, 100% of the time.

I'm still new on the forum. Is this the Tesla forum for teens with wealthy parents?

I've been driving for almost thirty years now and have taken several race driving classes and LOVE driving. Parking next to curbs is something I have rarely ever had to do, so that's where mine came from.

It is what it is. Either I pay to have the wheel repaired or I don't, it's on me.
Has nothing to do with "You must be those people who do everything you do perfectly, 100% of the time."

It has to do with the fact that people are trying to blame the vehicle itself for being more prone to curb rash than in ANY other vehicle. THAT is the crux of the disagreement. Not, who is a perfect driver or not, but who is trying to blame the vehicle vs themselves.

Maybe instead of race driving classes, you should take some basic drivers' ed courses and learn about something call self-accountability.

LMAO true. I didnt realize we had so many champion drivers here who feel superior to people who have curbed a wheel. A model 3 is a daily driver damnit, people won’t park it with care like its a Ferrari or something.

Is hitting the curb the drivers fault? Yes. Could they have designed the car to be more friendly to hitting the curb? To me, also yes.

• Helpful
Reactions: Slate
Has nothing to do with "You must be those people who do everything you do perfectly, 100% of the time."

It has to do with the fact that people are trying to blame the vehicle itself for being more prone to curb rash than in ANY other vehicle. THAT is the crux of the disagreement. Not, who is a perfect driver or not, but who is trying to blame the vehicle vs themselves.

Got it. I haven't actually read every post. Definitely not the cars problem.

Also, having curb rash does not inherently make one a bad driver though.

Reactions: Slate
Status
Not open for further replies.