Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So we don't need to service our cars annually anymore?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find bits and pieces on this but nothing that really goes straight to it. So. . . We don't need to bring the car in to service it every year? I don't even know how to top off fluids, rotate the tires, or check the 12v battery. . . So I guess I do those activities as part of some other maintenance regimen on my own time?

Don't get me wrong! Best car ever and it's amazing that it doesn't need to be in a shop for 1-2 days and cost me $700 to do basically nothing. But I'd just like to be sure I'm doing everything I'm supposed to in order to have the car be perfect all the time and always road-trip ready.

Sorry if this has completely been discussed elsewhere!

Tesla engineers continuously review maintenance recommendations to optimize the performance, reliability, durability, safety and resell value of your Tesla.

Unlike gasoline cars, Tesla cars require no traditional oil changes, fuel filters, spark plug replacements or emission checks. As electric cars, even brake pad replacements are rare because regenerative braking returns energy to the battery, significantly reducing wear on brakes.

Please check your Owner’s Manual for latest maintenance recommendations for your Tesla.

Recommended Maintenance Service
Cabin Air Filter
Your Tesla is equipped with an air filter that prevents pollen, industrial fallout, road dust and other particles from entering through the vents. Tesla recommends replacing your cabin air filter every 2 years.

High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filter
If your Tesla is equipped with a HEPA filter, Tesla recommends replacing it every 3 years.

Tesla app.

Frequently Asked Questions
Does my car require an annual maintenance service?
Your Tesla does not require annual maintenance and regular fluid changes. Please check your Owner’s Manual for latest maintenance recommendations for your Tesla.

Do I have to take my car to a Tesla Service Center?
With over-the-air software updates, remote diagnostics and the support of our Mobile Service technicians, the need to visit a Service Center is reduced. If your car does require service, you can schedule a service appointment in the Tesla app. If you choose to take your car to a non-Tesla shop for maintenance or repairs, coverage under your warranty could be affected if any problems occur.

If I choose not to service my Tesla car, will this void my warranty?
Your New Vehicle Limited Warranty or Used Vehicle Limited Warranty will not be affected if recommended service is not performed. However, coverage under your Extended Service Agreement may be affected if the recommended service is not performed. See the Tesla Extended Service Plan Terms and Conditions for further details.

Can I transfer my Tesla Maintenance Plan to the new owner if I sell my Tesla vehicle?
You can transfer the unused portion of your Tesla Maintenance Plan when you sell your car. The plan will transfer to the new owner when the car ownership transfer is processed through Tesla. Refer to your Maintenance Plan Terms and Conditions for more information.

Can I cancel my Tesla Maintenance Plan?
You can request to cancel your Maintenance Plan at any time to receive a refund for the remaining annual service inspection intervals. Refer to your Maintenance Plan Terms and Conditions for more information.

They backed off the tire rotation language also. That's good, but still not as good as BMW and volvo.

Now Tesla just says check your tires for "rotation and alignment needs".

My first year I had requested to get the DU fluid replaced (much like how one would get an early oil change on a new car). They canceled and indicated that replacement of the DU fluid is no longer necessary. Went on to say Tesla has collected enough data indicate that its no necessary to change.

I find bits and pieces on this but nothing that really goes straight to it. So. . . We don't need to bring the car in to service it every year? I don't even know how to top off fluids, rotate the tires, or check the 12v battery. . . So I guess I do those activities as part of some other maintenance regimen on my own time?

Don't get me wrong! Best car ever and it's amazing that it doesn't need to be in a shop for 1-2 days and cost me $700 to do basically nothing. But I'd just like to be sure I'm doing everything I'm supposed to in order to have the car be perfect all the time and always road-trip ready.

Here is the condensed version of what @shrink linked above.

1. Cabin Air Filter - Every 2 years
  2. High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filter- Every 3 years
  3. Brake Fluid Test - Test for contamination every 2 years
  4. Air Conditioning Service - Replace dessicant every 2 years
  5. Winter Care - Clean and lubricate all brake calipers every 12 months (more important in cold regions where salt and sand is dumped on the roads in winter)

• Helpful
Reactions: PhilDavid and Grant

you need to learn how to top off the wiper fluid; that is the only fluid that needs topping.

Here is the condensed version of what @shrink linked above.

1. Cabin Air Filter - Every 2 years
  2. High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filter- Every 3 years
  3. Brake Fluid Test - Test for contamination every 2 years
  4. Air Conditioning Service - Replace dessicant every 2 years
  5. Winter Care - Clean and lubricate all brake calipers every 12 months (more important in cold regions where salt and sand is dumped on the roads in winter)

FYI, the regular cabin air filter is easy to change (see Youtube) and only costs about $12-$16 for the filter (see Amazon item B071CVJDGW or search for your model year).
Just take care of the tires and brakes and that's all you should normally need to do. They changed the manual recently to say that the coolant does not need to be changed for the life of the car.
I always thought their annual service was ridiculous. Why should you pay hundreds for them to change your wipers and replace the key fob battery?

What is the consensus on the desiccant replacement? Can this be purchased outside of Tesla?

not unless you have an a/c vac recovery and recharge machine. It is not just about changing the desiccant bag, it is more about recharging the system with fresh r134 and lubricant to have the system work as efficiently as possible, and therefore have the compressor last as long as possible. I do it every 2 years as Tesla suggests as I plan to keep this car a long time. Money well spent.

• Informative
Reactions: Dukeybootie
Have you replaced a dead key fob battery? It took the ranger almost 2 hours and he give me two new key fobs as he said it was easier than getting the old fobs to sync again!
It took me less than two minutes to replace the battery in one of mine. That ranger clearly had no clue how to replace the battery. Mine wasn't completely dead, but the alert was showing on the IC. I didn't need to reprogram it.

Reactions: Kalex and SSedan
Some folks need to step away from the koolaid.
Particularly in rust inducing climates the brakes should be disassembled and lubricated annually. RWD cars need tire rotation MORE often than any ICE since the drive and majority of braking are all on the rear. The S has been known to have some suspension issues, periodic inspection is good.

People cite things like sparkplugs but these days with iridium electrodes and coil per plug those are 100k interval on ICE and a LOT of folks neglect it beyond that.

This outright lie people want to tell themselves that the ICE is the only part on traditional cars that ever needs maintenance or repair and lacking that a Tesla needs nothing is just that a lie. OEM balance a lot of things with service interval recommendation, the one folks are forgetting is the MARKETING angle of telling you you will save money doing no maintenance. Long as things are deemed wear and tear or on average make it past warranty, good enough.

Those of you swilling koolaid familiarize yourselves with batterygate and chargergate. Tesla is not the pure as the driven snow benevolent organization you want to pretend it is.

Given the way those with older cars are being treated it is plausible the cut in maintenance recommend was as much to relieve SC pressure and the bad impression the overcrowding created, as it was being deemed no longer necessary.

I have no intention of getting rid of my 94k mile 2014 P85, but it has been outright disabled by two failures in the 30k miles I have owned it. I know those of you with a 15k mile 3 think you know everything about long term ownership but maybe just maybe you don't.

Reactions: cwerdna
It took me less than two minutes to replace the battery in one of mine. That ranger clearly had no clue how to replace the battery. Mine wasn't completely dead, but the alert was showing on the IC. I didn't need to reprogram it.

The fob with the dead battery would not resync to the car. The ranger had to hook up a laptop to the car and remove the old fobs. He said that once removed it was easier for him to just give me new fobs then resync the old ones. He also said that the hardest Tesla's to sync a fob to was the X followed by the S and that the 3 was much easier. So the ranger replaced 2 fobs and give me an extra battery.