TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

So, what comprises a Performance Model S?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by AnOutsider, May 23, 2012.

1. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I was musing on this today while driving in the rain... We already know the basics: 4.4s 0-60 (apparently with a higher power drive inverter), some nice interior accents, some CF on the outside and dark wheels. What else? How much "performance" is this car ready for?

• The site mentions sport-tuned traction-control. What's that mean?
    • Do we get another setting for the air suspension for sport?
    • The Roadster had braking issues, do we get bigger brakes? Rotors that cool quicker?
    • Are there extra steps taken to keep the motor and related bits cooler?
    • We heard steering can be tuned, do we get additional options there?
    • There's concerns about regenerative braking, can we disable or more finely-tweak that in the performance model?

Anyone know any answers to the above? Anything else you can think of that might need to be beefed up for a true performance version of the Model S?

2. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

I don't have answers, but it might help to think about the question. Do you equal Performance with Racing? Or do you think of a sedan that looks like transporting family turning into a beast with screaming tires?

One more question: Can you order the performance model with the rear facing child seat option? In that case, acceleration should be electronically limited if the seats are occupied!
    [​IMG]
    the image is from a children safety ad campaign: buckle up!

3. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Haha, fair point. I do SOME racing, I'm not a pro though. My main concerns are good braking and good handling in turns. That'll handle daily driving. The extra cooling and such were questions that came up in the thread about regen (we got on the subject of regen on the track... Better to heat the brakes or the batteries?)

4. KBF

KBF Model S 2017

Not everything about the Performance model is confirmed yet. Yesterday I spoke to the head Canadian service manager and he said some things were still not public/not finalized, and will be revealed in the coming month. I'm guessing these would be non-structural things like tuning since government testing has been done.

5. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

Let's add in the increased top speed as well, and I'd imagine the torque profile will affect the responsiveness at speeds between 45-75 mph (72 - 120 kph).

6. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Not much new here, but I did as GeorgeB tonight why "performance" instead of sport and he said because a lot of cars have a "sport" trim, which makes it look fast and sporty, but the car really isn't. So I guess they intend for the performance cars to be driven as such. If so, then I'd imagine the internals should be up for the task. Now, what that limit is... we shall see!

7. spatterso911

spatterso911 MSP#7577 **--** MX#1891

Exciting news, and I totally agree with the differences between a "sport package" and "performance option". I am waiting anxiously to hear what truly comprises a Performance Model S

8. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Me too and I ordered it:smile: I'm hoping the brakes are upgraded at least.

9. Jason S

Jason S Model S Sig Perf (P85)

I'm not expecting upgrade brakes, I think it really is just the listed items.

Do we have performance stats for the base car now? Only another month to go before real cars come off the line, I suppose I could wait for dsm363's review. :biggrin: Then again, I might need to commit to my options before the end of June anyhow. (cross fingers)

10. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

They're saying I won't get it until August but I'm thinking late July. I think you'll still have to lock in before then. Other than 0-60 in 4.4 seconds, I don't know we know much else.
    Will be happy to write a review when I get it.

11. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

To resurrect this, my MVPA mentions "Power" Brakes:

brakes.PNG

I wonder if this indicates special brakes for the Performance model? I found it odd since it was listed up there with primary identifiers like year, color and model. Perhaps someone who hasn't gotten a Performance model can chime in on what theirs says.

Also, glad to see they're sticking with the whole "the year is the year in which it is made" thing. I hate seeing 2013 cars rolling off the line in April of 2012.

12. strider

strider Active Member

Guess we'd have to see a non-Perf MVPA but I'm guessing it's some 1950's era requirement of the DMV to list whether it has hydraulic or air brakes - or no assist at all >:-O

13. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Yah, I think that's just a standard field that doesn't really mean much in the modern era w/r/t distinguishing 2012 cars vs. each other.

14. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

As long as the field doesn't say No, I'll be happy.

15. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

16. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Nice spotting! Those are some seriously good numbers. Here are the Roadster's for some perspective:

roadster.png

17. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

No quarter mile?!

18. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

19. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

I just find it odd they'd out the quarter mile times for their big sedan, but not their sports car.

20. donauker

donauker Member

NEDRA record for a Roadster Sport is 12.643