Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So, when should I start thinking I've got a lemon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Clock is running on both my new Teslas:

Model S P100D - Delivery 8/29/2017 - Days out of Service - 8 - Single visit for Parking Brake Needs Service
Model X 100D - Delivery 9/29/2017 - Days out of Service - 5 - Twice in service to remedy Air Suspension Needs Service

The minute I hit the NJ Magic Numbers - 3 visits for the same issue, or 20 days cumulative out of service for either or both cars, the certified letter is going and the attorney will be on it.

Clock is running on both my new Teslas:

Model S P100D - Delivery 8/29/2017 - Days out of Service - 8 - Single visit for Parking Brake Needs Service
Model X 100D - Delivery 9/29/2017 - Days out of Service - 5 - Twice in service to remedy Air Suspension Needs Service

The minute I hit the NJ Magic Numbers - 3 visits for the same issue, or 20 days cumulative out of service for either or both cars, the certified letter is going and the attorney will be on it.
Interesting... just checked and Virginia appears to have the same requirements (except 30 days).

from what I've heard at our SvC there were at least 3 or 4 power steering failures on the first day I experienced it. So not every MX 100. But we aren't alone either.

I'm quickly going from 'okay I can deal with a few bugs' to 'this is not okay'. We too own an MS ('14) and the shiny new MX (mid Sept. '17 delivery). The MS is an extremely reliable vehicle. As I just posted to one of the tesla forums - when I get into my MX I have little or no confidence I'm not going to be heading to the SvC (again) before the vehicle makes it back to my garage.

Lemon? I don't think so. Systemic QC issues? definately. I still believe all the issues I'm experiencing are fixable either via software or hardware changes. I believe Tesla WILL ultimately do the right thing. Just gotta keep the communications open between all parties.

It would be a different story if Tesla loaned the exact model they’re working on. The big issue is that they’re giving poor loaners which isn’t on par with the car they’re fixing which causes the owner to be upset.

Sorry, but the big issue for me is not the loaner they give me. It's the fact that I have no confidence these cars will not strand me or my wife, and that I have to spend my time and energy getting them repaired. I could care less what loaner they give me to be honest, but these are the only cars I have owned that ever required me taking a loaner. Admittedly I don't mind waiting a few hours for service and working from dealerships for service appointments, but I have never had to leave a care over night in 30 years owning BMWs, Mercedes, Infiniti, Audis and even a Corvette Z06 recently.

How is losing power steering not a safety issue? How is car cutting out not an issue?
Apologies. There are a litany of issues being discussed here by numerous posters. I agree that losing power steering and car losing propulsion are safety defects.

FWIW, some fanboys have raked me over the coals asserting that certain clear safety defects shouldn't be reported to NHTSA or that they only should be reported when certain arbitrary criteria they invented have been met. Some of my requests that folks report to NHTSA ended up getting carved out into its own thread or moved to this thread. See defenders' responses at When to report NHTSA issues?, if you're interested.

Reactions: mattack4000
I have talked to the local Service Manager since the weekend - they have been very cooperative and tell me all is now taken care of (even had a Limo drive me to work yesterday; and then gave me a loaner MS). If all works out well as they tell me, I am pleased with Tesla service (all's well that ends well :)). Other than the issue I mentioned (I understand this turned out to be a couple of lose wires near the circuit breaker box, not firmware issues as I have read elsewhere - this issue has supposedly been noted by Tesla in about 20 cars as of yesterday I am told), I am very pleased with my MX (so far, and knocking on wood :)) - got to say I prefer the MX over the MS (based on just a couple of days of the MS though I loved the acceleration of the P85 MS and its looks).

It would be a different story if Tesla loaned the exact model they’re working on. The big issue is that they’re giving poor loaners which isn’t on par with the car they’re fixing which causes the owner to be upset.
Our X has over 5 weeks in the shop - over 14 months. This time (parts not due for a couple more days) the SC told us, "no loaner for you" (?!?!) They wanted to stick my better half in an Uber, and send her home to fend for herself re transportation. Only after reminding them how many weeks they've had it, were they able to $h1t us a loaner S.
(sigh)
with the batch of 3's going in for work now ... this scenario seems to be getting worse