Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Socal Burbank Service Center Joyride and BS explanation for spikes?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
my car was taken for a joyride for about 5 miles.. it went from 160 miles left in the battery to 43 miles.. (I know some of the miles are because it was left outside, but there was a significant drop in miles when it was returned to tesla service center)
Even if you’re drag racing or going flat out at 150mph+, your car is still not going to drop 117 miles of range in 5 miles of travel.

I am all for ripping into Tesla when they deserve it (and my god does it happen a LOT), but I don’t believe this to be one of those instances. I certainly understand and appreciate the concern and the skepticism, but rest assured that the service technicians aren’t just out beating on customer cars and joyriding for fun of it. They’re in and around these cars literally every day, and for the most part they really couldn’t care less if it were a P100D or an S40.

The truth of the matter is that sometimes cars need to be driven hard for diagnostic and quality assurance purposes. Model X half-shaft issues immediately come to mind as an issue that required launching a car, sometimes multiple times, in order to effectively diagnose an issue.

While it’s rare, unfortunately things like curb rash and dings happen. Trust me when I say that when it happens, nobody feels worse than the person who did it, and the SC will do everything they can to make it right.

Yeah, I always feel like Burbank is trying to dismiss my problems when I bring them in. I will say its doing something, and they will be all, I am sure that's normal, instead of saying "yes, we will check that out". Will is pretty good though.

Is Van Nuys better? I hate their location so far off the freeway so I don't go over there.

Van Nuys was good when Ray was the manager there. No idea how it is now.

I also got my car back from Burbank a week ago for an MCU replacement of a yellowed screen and no driving-related issue. For some reason my energy usage there was over 1,000 Wh/mile, over several miles driven at the center. Photo below is after I drove 8 miles after pickup. I never observed this from other service centers.

Attachments

• IMG_5833.JPG
    IMG_5833.JPG
    459.3 KB · Views: 89
It's because the car is on .. and they have the a/c and whatever running.

That graph represents the energy used over distance. So, if the energy used is X over 200 ft vs X over 20 miles, you see this spike.

It's not a joy ride. I had the same question early on and this is the conclusion I and the service mngr came to.

They definitley don't need to road check an alignment. Heres what happened...

You dropped your car off, and they told Joey, the 16 year old shop boy, to drive the car over to One-tooth Tony's Body Shop and Ice Cream store for the repair. On the way, Joey pulled up to a stop light, and a 2002 Honda Civic with a giant spoiler on the back pulled up next to him. Joey is the middle child of 8, and isn't all that bright. Wanting to prove his manhood, when the light turned green, he showed that Civic who was boss and hammered it. Joey didn't see the police car right behind him at the light, and the cop promply pulled him over and arrested him.

At this point your car is sitting on the side of the road with the door open and the stereo turned up to 11 while Joey is hauled off. Since there is no one to take the car, the police need to impound it. Tiny, from Compton, shows up with his wrecker to take the car. Tiny doesn't own a flat-bed, so this is just a regular tow truck where your car hangs off the back. Tiny cannot for the life of him figure out how to put the car into neutral, so he just drags the thing off, locked rear wheels screaming all the way. Thankfully the impound lot is only 4 miles away.

A couple of hours later, Joey breaks out of jail and calls the SC, letting them know what happened. The SC tells one of the mechanics from the back, Jose, to get over to the impound lot and get the car. Jose, his friends call him ham-fists, is working on a car which absolutely must be ready this afternoon, but what are you gonna do, this is an emergency.

Jose Ubers it over to the impound lot, where he finds that Tiny has left the windows down, and a family of seagulls has made a complete mess of the interior. He gets in and takes it to his buddy's car wash, a mile away, where they clean the interior thoroughly with windex, and wipe down the outside with some shop towels that were on the floor.

Jose gets back in the car and realizes its at 2% SOC, because its been on all day. Hes only got enough juice to get to the body shop, but as you can imagine, its getting late. Even though it violates every rule in the book, he has no choice but to turn on Ludicrous+. He makes the 6 mile trip in 4 minutes, but the car dies as its rolling into the body shop.

Thoothy Tony fixes the bumper, but they cannot figure out how they're going to get the car back to the SC, or how they're going to explain the dead battery to you. Tiny to the rescue; hes back with his tow truck, and they drag your car back to the SC and plug it in. Its only 2 miles, so how much damage could it really do.

You show up, collect your car, and when you complain about the spike in energy to the manager, its all he can do to keep from laughing. In a stroke of genius, he tells you they had to thoroughly road test it to make sure the alignment, which they forgot to do, was done correctly.

There, now you know what happened, hope this helped.

I keep hearing Tesla service has all day every day with P100's. Reminds me of the BMW service center here in Freeport NY. I am in a position to hear about any problems. To my knowledge (maybe I missed a few) they have crashed several customers cars over the past 3 years and usually due to "spirited driving". Techs have been fired,managers moved but mechanics driving a Toyota just find it irresistible to pounce on the BMW. One in particular took out 3 cars and a fence during "testing"

My Model S spent a day and a half at the service center. There was a large energy spike while they had it so, I looked into it. There was no mileage put on the car but, I did notice that several courtesy services were performed. One of which was to put a load on the battery with a 40 amp. shop cable. This battery test must account for the energy spike since they didn't even drive it. So, it appears that joy riding is possible from all lot guys and valet park attendants but, an energy spike should be expected from a service visit due to main battery testing.

In addition:
-Hand washed my car
-Topped off washer fluid
-Tested wipers and water jets
-Inflated tires to proper pressure
-Vacuumed inside of vehicle
-Measured tread at Outer/Center/Inner

Never received that kind of service from any dealer.

And, no, there was nothing wrong with the car. I took it in to have a fabric trim piece replaced that had a pin hole in it. I was afraid it would open up over the life of the car.

I’m having the same issue with the alignment on my new model S that I just picked up from Burbank. The steering wheel is off center.

Were they able to resolve it?

The same thing happened to my previous model s after they put on new tires. It took them 4 times to get the alignment right. I hope it’s not the case this time.