Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Social Chat - Short Term TSLA Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The idea is to make more time for God. As far as the rules of the church go giving something up like this for Lent is voluntary so I can make my own rules. I would do a stop loss if I thought I needed it but I don't normally do them anyway. I'm pretty sure a coworker will tell me if something crazy happens. It wouldn't be against my religious convictions to log in and evaluate things if I get wind of some major negative catalyst but I will contain myself if I hear of positive things.

I have forgone alcohol and diet coke.....but no Tesla? That, my friend, is a truly impressive sacrifice. Cheers to your faith, conviction and God Bless. We will do the little we can to keep the lights on.

You will all probably think me crazy since so many of you are short term traders but as a Catholic I am giving up stocks for Lent. Mind you, I am not selling any TSLA or any other stock or LEAP that I own, but I am not going to be logging onto forums or brokerage accounts and most importantly there will be 0 transactions in my account until April 21st.

I don't think this is crazy at all. As a Boglehead (long-term buy and hold investor), I approve. I am not religious, but I can appreciate stepping away from the worldly concerns of investing to spend time on family and spiritual matters.

Enjoy the holidays!

Another recommendation for those of you who recently made it from q3 to now. (and judging by the amount if talk with weeklies, there are a lot of you)

Do not increase position size for each trade yet. Increase it slowly each month by 10% until you are comfortable with the new found wealth. At each bracket of money, the management if it needs to change and a major mistake is to still trade like when you only have a few thousand dollars.

Another recommendation for those of you who recently made it from q3 to now. (and judging by the amount if talk with weeklies, there are a lot of you)

Do not increase position size for each trade yet. Increase it slowly each month by 10% until you are comfortable with the new found wealth. At each bracket of money, the management if it needs to change and a major mistake is to still trade like when you only have a few thousand dollars.

That's a good recommendation, it's easy to get sloppy when the exponential power of compound interest/growth starts to take effect.

Heh. If only I had read your advice last week.

It's strange. The numbers are significantly larger, but they don't feel any different, just some numbers in the corner of a screen. Your portfolio statistics look like a Pacman scoreboard. After a few good runs, you start to accelerate, increasing the frequency of trades. You use less planning or justification, because it's so easy. You also make larger bets than you should, because "5x of this would be awesome", and if it doesn't work out, hey, you have many more lives left.

Then suddenly, it stops feeling like a game when you are down 25% on a week in which the stock went up, because you picked the wrong timing and the wrong strikes. You start to think "if only I hadn't done that, I should have done the other thing instead", and jump into the next misguided trade because just imagining the next success dulls the pain from the last failure.

But instead, the first thing should be to stop, catch your breath, put things in perspective. Then focus on learning as much as possible from every individual mistake. Then start again, smaller, and build from there, while keeping emotions out of it. Fortunately, this board is a treasure for anyone willing to learn.

Anyway, right now, the only wisdom I have to offer is sharing my mistakes. I just wanted to attest, from experience, the value of the above advice :)

Last edited:
Five of the last six days now (including today), TSLA has had its high for the day near the open and then gradually slumped downward. For those of you who follow charts, is this indicative of anything in particular?

Historically, it's fairly typical for Tesla (or it seems to me so, anyway). I think it is a stock that needs new news to keep people interested.

Does anyone remember in what thread and where different brokerages were discussed? I called optionshouse this evening to ask for lower commissions and they told me their fees are fixed and nonnegotiable. So now I'm looking at other brokerage firms.

Does anyone remember in what thread and where different brokerages were discussed? I called optionshouse this evening to ask for lower commissions and they told me their fees are fixed and nonnegotiable. So now I'm looking at other brokerage firms.
I asked in the n00b trading thread: Newbie Options Trading - Page 88, and there are some good responses there.

I ended up moving (in process now) to Just2Trade. Their combination of fees and features seemed right for my profile.

There was some discussion here Brokerages Trading Tools

Bought 2 more TSLA shares today $252.49, now total of 207 shares. ASP $100.72

Coincidence! I bought 2 shares this morning as well. Just had that urge.

Bought some daily TSLA $250's at 0.48. I logged in a few seconds too late and could have got them for a lot cheaper.

Hoping for that bounce back to $252 :)

Might not happen if the market makers were able to unload all of the notes already.

It sort of "smells" like market makers have left the building today. Not a bad thing necessarily if true, since that could remove the range-bound state of the stock.

Seems like NASDAQ is dragging us down with magnified movements today, unless I'm missing something.

It sort of "smells" like market makers have left the building today. Not a bad thing necessarily if true, since that could remove the range-bound state of the stock.

Seems like NASDAQ is dragging us down with magnified movements today, unless I'm missing something.

IDK, it looks to me like they haven't left the building yet.

Every now and then they have to let the stock price fall to knock out some weak longs and then it is easy to build the position back up to $252 once selling is exhausted.