Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Social Chat - Short Term TSLA Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't understand... why is there a negative response to the ER?

Missing 2014 guidance and low Q4 guidance of $0.12 EPS while consensus was $0.2. Yet the consensus didn't take into account the data in the shareholder letter that well explains it so now it's up to the idiots actually reading it.

- - - Updated - - -

So, what do I do with the third bottle of champagne... It looks not like a celebration is in order sadly.

Missing 2014 guidance and low Q4 guidance of $0.12 EPS while consensus was $0.2. Yet the consensus didn't take into account the data in the shareholder letter that well explains it so now it's up to the idiots actually reading it.

- - - Updated - - -

So, what do I do with the third bottle of champagne... It looks not like a celebration is in order sadly.
Time to upgrade to whiskey and drink to your (all of ours) sorrows
(stock tanking)

If only the stock had reacted to that ;) Also, the cell constraints are the main ones and the way to alleviate this is their panasonic deal.

I think after all the questions are asked and analysts clear up confusions later or tomorrow, the stock can go back up. Right now, there are so many negative articles claiming that TSLA has finally failed for this quarter.

I think that investors who bailed out and sent the stock down have overreacted.

I think after all the questions are asked and analysts clear up confusions later or tomorrow, the stock can go back up. Right now, there are so many negative articles claiming that TSLA has finally failed.

Hell of a buying opportunity for us longs. I feel they will announce the Samung/ LG battery deal next quarter. If we end the year around $175/share I will be happy. Either way, man what a rocket ride of a 2013 it has been with TSLA!

I'm looking at the liveblog and Elon apparently just said that he sees North American demand at 20K. I'm sure he said 40K before...

Also: 10K for Europe, not just for Germany as reported before.

Well, crap. I should have trusted my gut and sold today and taken the ~50% loss on my TSLA options. 30% of my portfolio just went up in smoke with this market response. And with the stock drop, I'll probably have to bail out on some of my solars at a loss to get rid of my margin balance. Was going to do that with TSLA after the earnings call, even with some loss, since it seemed all but impossible a strike price of 175 wouldn't even be ITM when I bought the options, but this market response is worse than I figured for even the pessimistic case. We're back down to post-Q2 results levels just in after-market.

So... exit strategy planning for all Nov/Dec options holders. Considering the CC is over and there were hints for 2014 guidance being good, but also that there is supply constraint on batteries (even though they did mention that the 2014 supply would be delivered and they're confident in it). I doubt the stock price will recover to >$180 in the next 10 days until November options expire. It'll be hard to see $170 even. Or do others think differently? I guess sell at market open for most calls? Or do people think that there's a chance for a run up on the gigafactory news?

All the articles I"ve seen quote GAAP earnings as lower than expected. They are missing two key points:
1) GM's a way higher than traditional car manufacturers
2) Tesla lease is not a traditional lease. It is really a loan with a buy back guarantee, meaning, Tesla gets all the money upfront, so they appropriately include it in their non-GAAP reporting, but none of the media is focusing on this.

So... exit strategy planning for all Nov/Dec options holders. Considering the CC is over and there were hints for 2014 guidance being good, but also that there is supply constraint on batteries (even though they did mention that the 2014 supply would be delivered and they're confident in it). I doubt the stock price will recover to >$180 in the next 10 days until November options expire. It'll be hard to see $170 even. Or do others think differently? I guess sell at market open for most calls? Or do people think that there's a chance for a run up on the gigafactory news?

I've got a bunch of Novembers, between 170-200. I've also got LEAPS, but those will stay put.

Plan for tomorrow is probably offload all of my calls for salvage value. I'd like to think the 170's might have some recovery, but I just don't know. I will be taking a huge hit, but in the grand scheme I won't be a whole lot worse off than I was with most of my calls as of last week. Like ckessel, I'm probably down 30% or so. No plan to touch common unless I have to. At least I get some short term capital losses out of this. :crying:

My Novs (between 170-200) won't be worth enough to bother selling tomorrow, so I'm gonna hold them for a couple weeks for if we get another day or two like yesterday. Probly jump in on a few LEAPS tomorrow with this bargain price, maybe do a stock replacement or something.

My Novs (between 170-200) won't be worth enough to bother selling tomorrow, so I'm gonna hold them for a couple weeks for if we get another day or two like yesterday. Probly jump in on a few LEAPS tomorrow with this bargain price, maybe do a stock replacement or something.

What happened to Google, sank in AH, but was up the next day?
Any chance that happening with TSLA?

Last edited: