Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Social Chat - Short Term TSLA Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
cracked the backbone .... :crying:
Yep, I'm pretty screwed barring one of the greatest recoveries in stock history over the next few weeks. My timing to start buying TSLA options a couple months ago could not possibly have been any worse. My TSLA options, including my Jan2015 LEAPS, are all over 50% loss (that's an average, the LEAPS aren't as bad).

The LEAPS have time to recover obviously, but if TSLA is reducing to a "fundamentals" valuation used to measure it's competitors then it's hard to know what that means for long term future valuation either.

Edit: Oof, with solar down too, this is 10% worse than the worst day I've ever had...and it's still early.

Last edited:
Yep, I'm pretty screwed barring one of the greatest recoveries in stock history over the next few weeks. My timing to start buying TSLA options a couple months ago could not possibly have been any worse. My TSLA options, including my Jan2015 LEAPS, are all over 50% loss (that's an average, the LEAPS aren't as bad).

The LEAPS have time to recover obviously, but if TSLA is reducing to a "fundamentals" valuation used to measure it's competitors then it's hard to know what that means for long term future valuation either.

Edit: Oof, with solar down too, this is 10% worse than the worst day I've ever had...and it's still early.

If the stock can fall this hard this fast, it can rise just as quickly.

If the stock can fall this hard this fast, it can rise just as quickly.
Yea, I'd like to hope so. I've been going back in TSLA's last several quarters and, well, one there's no precedent for an extended drop like this in quite some time. And two, the drops weren't as steep and the recoveries were faster. I'm not finding much to point to as an example of something like this recovering. I'd like to hope it could recover, because hope is about all my option stuff is worth now :)

Last edited:
Ouch....as everyone else I'm getting hammered today. I'm not worried at all about my stock. It's there for the long term. But my options have expiry dates... and my margin call is approaching.

The thing that worries me is that at this point those who were waiting a pull back to buy have done so. Everyone else is either selling to cut their losses or waiting to see what happens....... no buyers = price tanks.

As earnings approaches, I'm generally avoiding PUTs unless I simply can't resist. As such, I've been accumulating calls on the way down. Arguably, it's better to just buy in single bulk transactions (lower fees) but I usually buy in essentially fixed size blocks (multiple of them as the stock moves).

Here's my latest...

Executed
  1. 2013/10/21 TSLA NOV 16 13 CALL $215 @ 3.52
  2. 2013/10/22 TSLA NOV 16 13 CALL $215 @ 2.77
  3. 2013/10/22 TSLA NOV 16 13 CALL $215 @ 2.77
  4. 2013/10/23 TSLA NOV 16 13 CALL $215 @ 2.02
  5. 2013/10/23 TSLA NOV 16 13 CALL $215 @ 2.38
Limit
  • 2013/10/23 TSLA NOV 16 13 CALL $215 @ 1.90

Within flavor (CALL vs. PUT), I tend to stack up on a consistent offering (expiration and strike price) with only (of course) the price varying. It's less for me to track, and it means when we have a huge swing and I want to act quickly I can do one "Sell to Close" transaction to resolve them all.

My only options in TSLA right now are for Jan '14 so theres time for a recovery. Still annoys me that I was set up for a kick arse ER profit prior to this decline. As long as the bleeding stops we can recover. But if the stock price keeps falling until earnings idk whats in the cards.

1. 2013/10/21 TSLA NOV 16 13 CALL $215 @ 3.52
  2. 2013/10/22 TSLA NOV 16 13 CALL $215 @ 2.77
  3. 2013/10/22 TSLA NOV 16 13 CALL $215 @ 2.77
  4. 2013/10/23 TSLA NOV 16 13 CALL $215 @ 2.02
  5. 2013/10/23 TSLA NOV 16 13 CALL $215 @ 2.38
Limit
  • 2013/10/23 TSLA NOV 16 13 CALL $215 @ 1.90
Those 215s would require the stock to appreciate ~33% in 3 weeks to break even. Seems ambitious as that level of rise didn't even happen after the Q2 results (134ish->168ish after 3 weeks).

Granted, I'm with you in needing a massive rise, but my break even point is closer to $195.

Those 215s would require the stock to appreciate ~33% in 3 weeks to break even. Seems ambitious as that level of rise didn't even happen after the Q2 results (134ish->168ish after 3 weeks).

Granted, I'm with you in needing a massive rise, but my break even point is closer to $195.
To be clear, my intent wasn't and isn't to exercise those calls. My intent is to resell them before expiration -- like every other TSLA call and put that I've bought thus far.

To be clear, my intent wasn't and isn't to exercise those calls. My intent is to resell them before expiration -- like every other TSLA call and put that I've bought thus far.
True, that's my intent as well, but the value is dependent on the formula that basically proxies the likelihood of being break even by the strike date, right?

True, that's my intent as well, but the value is dependent on the formula that basically proxies the likelihood of being break even by the strike date, right?
I'm not sure if it's precisely tuned for that, but yes I grant your general premise.

My point was simply that I tend to buy OTMs and sell them with enough time value left that I'm getting some payback from people "still hedging with the time value" rather than "closing out ITM value". I'm not sure if I stated that clearly, but hopefully you get my meaning.