Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Social Chat - Short Term TSLA Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know of a website that I can enter all my option contracts and type in a date and the price of the stock and it will calculate the total gain / loss for each option?

How could you? Extrinsic value=time value for any option is highly subjective and can't really be calculated, only estimated (guesstimated) in advance. Just look at what will happen now after the call, with the IV crush.

I am going to have to pay so much in capital gains tax.

I have good news and bad news. Much of my TSLA is in my IRA and I'm retired, so I don't have to pay the taxes until I withdraw. The bad news is that I don't get any long term capital gains benefit.
My limit order is on common stock, so I doubt it will sell before tomorrow morning, and who can guarantee that the price will still be high then?

Does anyone know of a website that I can enter all my option contracts and type in a date and the price of the stock and it will calculate the total gain / loss for each option?

Options profit calculator
Option Price Calculator

The latter allows you to modify the individual parameters and see what the "fair" value should be.

Edit: ah, you'd like to add all your options. I can share an Excel sheet I have for that, but it only computes for day of expiry.

I had sold 250 shares when it hit 199 a week or two ago. Then I regretted it. After taxes, I calculated that I could buy back in at 189 and not loose anything. But, when I saw the stock come down before closing today, I decided to buy half of them back at 194 just in case it went up again. Man am I glad I did!!!! Woot!

Well, I sold 60 shares at $200 about the same time. Bought 61 back when it was down to about 194 a while back and another single share at $193.9 when it just dropped (whenever it did). I don't understand anything of what happened today. But at least I've got 62 shares from the set of trades.

I was hoping that like the fat man with the one thin mint in Monty Python's "Meaning of Life" that would make the stock explode.

I don't know if it'll carry over to tomorrow, but I'm hoping.

I have good news and bad news. Much of my TSLA is in my IRA and I'm retired, so I don't have to pay the taxes until I withdraw. The bad news is that I don't get any long term capital gains benefit.
My limit order is on common stock, so I doubt it will sell before tomorrow morning, and who can guarantee that the price will still be high then?

It's not actually that bad. I only hold LEAPS in my taxable account, and I could just exercise them (2016) and hold on for a long time. I was smart enough to put most of my medium term and additional LEAPS (2015) in my TFSA :d. I've learned a lot in the last few quarters.

I'm an options guy, but I finally decided to officially make myself a shareholder and bought 5 shares of TSLA during the conf call ;) It's not giving me excellent delta or anything, but I didn't want to buy the symbolic 1 share because of commission rates so went with 5 shares :) Majority of my delta comes from LEAPs + March options so this is really so that if anyone asks there is no asterisk next to me claiming to be a shareholder ;)

I'm an options guy, but I finally decided to officially make myself a shareholder and bought 5 shares of TSLA during the conf call ;) It's not giving me excellent delta or anything, but I didn't want to buy the symbolic 1 share because of commission rates so went with 5 shares :) Majority of my delta comes from LEAPs + March options so this is really so that if anyone asks there is no asterisk next to me claiming to be a shareholder ;)

Welcome, Mario. You won't regret it.

Is there a standard or advisable range for the delta you should have on your account? Or is it totally up to your risk tolerance? My net delta was very large since I initiated all my positions for this call. I'm happy about the results, but it was crazy to see all the swings these past few weeks.

On another note, I'm currently working in Sydney, Australia. I'm pretty certain the Model S will do amazing here. I walk to work every day through downtown and see so many high end cars, it's actually surprising to me. I know there are usually a lot of nice cars in big cities, but there are almost no clunkers driving around here and a very high number of luxury cars. Any insight into this by locals? There is also quite a bit of sun here; offsetting energy consumption for superchargers will be a cake walk.

Oh and this time change is getting exhausting. Market opens at 1:30 am here so my nights have been late plus I'm usually setting an alarm in the morning to catch the close too.

Options profit calculator
Option Price Calculator

The latter allows you to modify the individual parameters and see what the "fair" value should be.

Edit: ah, you'd like to add all your options. I can share an Excel sheet I have for that, but it only computes for day of expiry.

Thanks for the offer. I whipped up a spreadsheet earlier to just calculate the intrinsic value of the options, to show me my profit, and calculate the % gain. A lot in the 300-500% range. :)

at what point are those who have been shorting and loosing everything all along going to start blaming the bear analysts for steering them wrong, again and again and again! At some point, you'd think the analysts would just admit that TSLA is an anomaly and they have no idea how to guide investors on the stock and leave it at that.

I'm feeling pretty good about my moves over the last week, sold during the occurrence last week, held out till today, and jumped back in near the low of the dip today minus the profits I knew I didn't want to risk, and then POW!

at what point are those who have been shorting and loosing everything all along going to start blaming the bear analysts for steering them wrong, again and again and again! At some point, you'd think the analysts would just admit that TSLA is an anomaly and they have no idea how to guide investors on the stock and leave it at that.

Hey, if they liked the short at $198 (*ahem*), they're gonna love it at $218...