Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Social Chat - Short Term TSLA Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Crap, wouldn't you know today is the day I'm away from my desk. Looks like the NJ FUD news hit Google's TSLA ticker at 11am EST. Shorts are pouncing. Looking for a bottom to add to my long position at this point.

Christie must be hard up for campaign cash.

Tesla
(TSLA_) stock dipped lower today
due to opposition on the political front
in New Jersey. New Jersey's Motor Vehicle Commission has banned Tesla auto sales in the state.

Tesla sells cars directly to customers through company owned stores, bypassing franchised dealerships which have been the backbone of the U.S. auto industry for decades. This new model for selling cars that cuts out the middlemen is seen as a threat to the
status quo
and car retailers have not backed down.

Tesla is currently facing legislative opposition in a multitude of states including Minnesota, New York and Ohio and has already been banned in four other states: Texas, Arizona, Colorado, Virginia and now New Jersey.
source: Why Tesla (TSLA) Is Down - TheStreet

What do you guys think?

What's your twitter handle?

- - - Updated - - -

I am amazed we aren't eating dirt right now, 233 is way above what I was expecting with this negative sentiment and this "bad" news from new jersey, and this "high" price. (Honestly i don't think the news is that important, and the price seems appropriate given future potential).

My current two explanations are
1) that the news and sentiment is first felt here on the board and we'll see a drop tomorrow to 227.
2) that there is some serious buying right now, and it's not by the shorts. They are looking for a technical move to fill the gap to 220/lower. I keep on coming back to the fact that once 2013 took down apple, people have started looking for a new apple and I think a lot of people have found it in tesla. No one is going to exit when the market cap goes from 10 to 20 billion, not while there's still potential for it to run to 100 to 200 billion.
So I'm hoping for #2 to be the case, but kind of resigned to #1 being the case tomorrow morning.

It's @tedismeiamted. If he took offense to it, I'd be surprised-- I can't really develop a full business case (not like I have to) in a limited amount of characters. Well that, and if he's replying to small fry like me, he's making the novice mistake of being too emotionally invested in his moves or he's doing what I was criticized of doing by not acknowledging opinions. I could care less. He manages Seabreeze, that's great-- but there were many money managers that were seasoned and "skilled" in 07-08. Age can develop skills and pigheadedness directly proportionately.

The irony is he defends Apple so vehemently now that it's outside of its momentum growth phase. Wayne Gretzky said it best, go where the puck is going not where it is.

- - - Updated - - -

What's your twitter handle?

- - - Updated - - -

I am amazed we aren't eating dirt right now, 233 is way above what I was expecting with this negative sentiment and this "bad" news from new jersey, and this "high" price. (Honestly i don't think the news is that important, and the price seems appropriate given future potential).

My current two explanations are
1) that the news and sentiment is first felt here on the board and we'll see a drop tomorrow to 227.
2) that there is some serious buying right now, and it's not by the shorts. They are looking for a technical move to fill the gap to 220/lower. I keep on coming back to the fact that once 2013 took down apple, people have started looking for a new apple and I think a lot of people have found it in tesla. No one is going to exit when the market cap goes from 10 to 20 billion, not while there's still potential for it to run to 100 to 200 billion.
So I'm hoping for #2 to be the case, but kind of resigned to #1 being the case tomorrow morning.

A little surprised too, but it just means that the store people are restricted to saying certain things. That and Texas is coping fine as well, it'll just be a matter of time-- it might even help Tesla allocate inventory better.

Last edited:
...Steve Jobs said it best, go where the puck is going not where it is...

Aznt, I think that quote was by Wayne Gretzky. It certainly applies to the auto industry and EVs, as well as hockey.
Tesla is getting millions of dollars of free advertising generated by the NJ decision. The vast majority of news reports are pro-choice, pro-Tesla on this. Hope Tesla keeps their boutique showrooms open in NJ, even if they can't "sell them". Ironically the more difficult the Dealers make it to buy a Tesla, the more popular and in demand Tesla EVs will become. Thanks to this decision, the highest auto status symbol in NJ is now the Tesla, period. Long Tesla

Best,

With this high short interest, I'm thinking a possible dip into the 220s on this meaningless NJ ban will be a good buying opportunity. Funny how just 3 months ago I was thinking the same thing about the 120s.

Edit: ...and 12 months ago about the 20s!

Aznt, I think that quote was by Wayne Gretzky. It certainly applies to the auto industry and EVs, as well as hockey.
Tesla is getting millions of dollars of free advertising generated by the NJ decision. The vast majority of news reports are pro-choice, pro-Tesla on this. Hope Tesla keeps their boutique showrooms open in NJ, even if they can't "sell them". Ironically the more difficult the Dealers make it to buy a Tesla, the more popular and in demand Tesla EVs will become. Thanks to this decision, the highest auto status symbol in NJ is now the Tesla, period. Long Tesla

Best,

Wow im a fool thanks for that haha

I'm actually hoping we dip into the 220s tomorrow. I think a lot of shorts have that as their target and will start covering, and there are a lot of buyers patiently waiting there as well. So by going lower I think that could actually help it then go much higher! With Tesla in the headlines, it should attract the momo traders as well. We could be in for a crazy rest of the week!

FYI Reddit is currently exploding with white hot burning rage at this NJ / Christie fiasco. God bless my beloved nerd brethren.

I'm starting to think the underdog story has real legs. America loves a Cinderella story.

Still, going to get worse before the buyers show up in force. My gut says 220 bottom, and a gift of a buying opportunity. But my gut is also queasy and untrustworthy sometimes. :)

If the politician is unpopular it could be really good news.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting short article in the finincial times saying that Chevron "projects sharply higher oil price" and has changed their corporate guidance from $79 to $110 per barrel.

Doesnt it say that they have halved the amount of barrels as well?