Is it telling you an update is available to download or that it is ready to install? If you need to download, here is how I got around it.Just received a new software note today. I am a new tesla user! How do i install the update? Only with a WiFi connection? My car does not find my home WiFi connection... Any tips an tricks?
I don't have a WiFi connection to my car (yet - I am working on a solution). I have been able to download the massive navigation update as well as the car firmware update by tethering to my phone while I drove. The basic process is to
- With your car on (but not in gear), make sure your phone has tethering turned on. On an iPhone, go to Settings > Personal Hotspot
- Tap the LTE icon on the car's screen (very top, towards the right), select WiFi settings and turn on WiFi. There will a place to enter WiFi information - ignore that for now and close that window.
- Tap the WiFi symbol on your car's screen (top right) and select your phone. Assuming this is your first time connecting, it will ask for a password. You will need the tethering (Personal Hotspot if iPhone) password. Enter and make sure the car connects to your phone.
- Get yourself ready to go and put the car into drive (or reverse). Tap the WiFi symbol again and select your phone. (The car by default turns off WiFi as soon as you put it into gear - hence why you need to reselect it)
- Once it is connected, the download should automatically start and you can go on your merry way. If you want to watch the progress, tap the car icon at the bottom and select Software.