Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.21.9 75bdbc11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is so weird is we pick up our MS P100D yesterday and I asked if we had the latest software and they said yes. We had 2018.14.2. Today we received an update to 2018.14.3. The notes appear to be the same as 2018.21.xx. Can somebody explain why?

Hello kind sir. I ask with the sincerest of hearts - please open your own thread and ask again so that you get an appropriate response and your question isn’t lost in this thread. I oft find that when I ask my own question on someone else’s thread, I don’t get a response.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this!

Last edited:
A little harsh maybe?

I noticed you disagreed with my post. Do you have something against horse racing? Or perhaps you think I should install before Sunday?

I was trying to be helpful so he/she gets a response and it’s not lost in this thread. Not sure what’s harsh about that.

Regarding disagreeing with your post, I have no idea what you’re talking about

Reactions: Sather
I was trying to be helpful so he/she gets a response and it’s not lost in this thread. Not sure what’s harsh about that.

Ah, got it. Sorry. Maybe it was the Boston accent that I misunderstood. :)

Regarding disagreeing with your post, I have no idea what you’re talking about

So I see you’re relatively new. Perhaps it was accidental. Just wasn’t sure why that post had anything worth disagreeing with. If you view the post I linked to above, then select “list” you’ll see that you hit disagree (the thumbs down icon), from what you said here no doubt accidentally. No harm done, just thought you were against horse racing, or perhaps my calling them nags. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: outdoors
SvC claimed to not have this firmware version to push yesterday. Bleh. I'll be back next week once they've acquired a replacement part (they claim the part that arrived last week arrived broken) and perhaps then they'll be current - or perhaps by then we'll have *gasp* 18.22.

Curious to know if anyone's gotten this via an SvC yet.

Please no further bullshit nags, Tesla. Just deliver a more robust system that goes past needing human input. That's the goal, right? Humans are so 20th century.

If anyone disagrees with Tesla's increased nags reducing AP utility, we all have to enter a "bug report" using the right steering wheel button. It's possible the shorter reminder interval was unintentional, given the recent history of bugged updates.

Now that I've said that, it may be a while before my car gets any more updates...

Reactions: croman
Just got the 2018.21.9 update tonight, after having been on 2018.14 for almost 2 months. One thing that makes me really happy: it fixes the regression that was introduced in 2018.12 where the UHFS sound system's bass response was severely reduced. The old equalizer range (±12db) has been restored, but I noticed the difference immediately without changing any EQ settings.

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones and jdw
+1 for the increased NPMs (nags per mile) on the 2018.21.9 update.

On my 102 mile journey today I’d estimate 50+ visual nags and one much quicker than usual audible alert. My hands were on the steering wheel (but without applied torque) so I kept getting the warnings.

Definitely a step in the less “delightful” direction. One cannot imagine Elon (or his development team) would enjoy this more intrusive driving experience, however, the lawyers are likely rejoicing. :-/

Are AP1 users seeing more nags? I just installed this update on AP1, haven’t tested myself yet.
It’s kinda sad that what AP1 folks have had for 3 years now, are being finally rolled out to AP2 and AP2.5.
Seriously, other than the nose front end, there is nothing in the newest Model S that is worth paying for, if you already have AP1.

Reactions: David29 and GMan324
Are AP1 users seeing more nags? I just installed this update on AP1, haven’t tested myself yet.
It’s kinda sad that what AP1 folks have had for 3 years now, are being finally rolled out to AP2 and AP2.5.
Seriously, other than the nose front end, there is nothing in the newest Model S that is worth paying for, if you already have AP1.
Yes, AP1 has more nags with this release. I don’t mind them as I keep a hand lightly on the wheel and just give it a little tug when the top of the instrument cluster lights up. It even has nags now in very slow traffic. These are
less frequent than at high speeds, but before got no nags at low speeds.

Yes, AP1 has more nags with this release. I don’t mind them as I keep a hand lightly on the wheel and just give it a little tug when the top of the instrument cluster lights up. It even has nags now in very slow traffic. These are

Well that stinks. I guess I’ll be delaying software updates going forward.

SvC claimed to not have this firmware version to push yesterday. Bleh. I'll be back next week once they've acquired a replacement part (they claim the part that arrived last week arrived broken) and perhaps then they'll be current - or perhaps by then we'll have *gasp* 18.22.

Curious to know if anyone's gotten this via an SvC yet.

That would seem to jive with my service center experience on Thursday, where they pushed me 2018.18.2, despite me already having that version. Not sure why they couldn't give me the 21.9 release, but it didn't seem to be an option.

My hands were on the steering wheel (but without applied torque) so I kept getting the warnings.

Huh? Considering that the sensor is torque based, it seems to be working as intended. What about resting your one hand on one side of the steering wheel so that there is some constant torque (á la "orange trick")? The net rotational torque on the axis of the steering wheel is zero if both hands rest equally on opposite sides.

Last edited:
Updated. Definite regression in autopilot on local roads. Suddenly changed the path of a well marked road on several occasions. I have taken the same route on prior versions and the AP was smooth and accurate. Ughh....

That was my experience too. The car seems more likely to swerve towards side streets when the white line temporarily disappears. 10.4 did the odd twitch of the wheel in these situations, but this release is far worse. Strange as I thought the NN was the same as 10.4.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
That would seem to jive with my service center experience on Thursday, where they pushed me 2018.18.2, despite me already having that version. Not sure why they couldn't give me the 21.9 release, but it didn't seem to be an option.

Thanks - it’s notable that sometimes the SvCs get the latest version early on and how sometimes it takes a couple of days or a week.

I guess it’s possible or even probable that there might be nothing new for my particular config. Then again, I wouldn’t have to guess if there was something that resembled industry-standard documentation with each release.

Especially since it’s only a matter of time before not being able to review changes made by a given update prior to use, or not being able to reverse those changes, will end up the subject of some sort of litigation.

After all, (hereabouts at least) this would be California - a state in which people would sue the sun during a cloudy day if they could.

For what? Why, for diminished daily value of course. Try the veal - I’m here all week.

Seriously...just installed the update and later saw your nags comments..:eek:

21.9 pushed to both out AP1 and AP2 cars Friday night. First time since Dec 2016 that both cars got an update on the same day. Could be a coincidence or something important to push to all cars, like increased attention enforcement. Rarely use AP (only to check out progress really, waiting for FSD) so no idea about the frequency of nags.

As for the ‘SC loading firmware’ my theory is they can only load what the current one is for your car. I’m not sure they can load ‘any’ version. We’ve seen people ask for X version and get what they have loaded again.

Does anyone know they have the ability to request/stage a particular actual number?

And I’m installing firmware now, probably 2018.21.9. I’ve usually gotten firmware early Friday AM so this is out of my ‘normal’ sequence. I’m now wondering if this upgrade (the AP feature set) was supposed to be on 2018.22 and was moved to this week on 21 became Elon said it was coming out ‘this week’. You never know....!