Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.21.9 75bdbc11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem with “I want to drive a Tesla the same way I’ve always driven” is, it’s not the same kind of car you’ve always driven. Steadfastly holding on to the past is a recipe for personal failure and disappointment.

Keeping both hands on the wheel is not difficult, just don’t apply the same amount of grip with both hands, but still have the loose hand ready to tighten on the wheel as necessary.

After 50 years of driving, it did not take long at all to adapt to how the feature worked. Living in the past without adapting to the future is a cop out, IMHO.

Are AP1 users seeing more nags? I just installed this update on AP1, haven’t tested myself yet.
It’s kinda sad that what AP1 folks have had for 3 years now, are being finally rolled out to AP2 and AP2.5.
Seriously, other than the nose front end, there is nothing in the newest Model S that is worth paying for, if you already have AP1.
I have had the new version for a few days and haven’t notice any difference in the “nag” rate on my AP1 car. I find that driving with my hand on the bottom of the steering wheel gets me more “nags” than holding the side since I am applying less resistance at the bottom, but again no major change in rate.

I have noticed AP slowing more often, will need more testing, but not sure people are right when they say this update didn’t affect AP1 cars for interstate interchanges and curves.

Got to drive today finally on the new update. The nags are indeed worse, but I noticed the wheel having a slight wiggle and when using autopilot as intended (with hands resting on the wheel) I don't need resistance for the nag to not show. Interesting....

Thanks for the vid, this is really interesting, it looks like Tesla has found a way to improve the hands on wheel detection.

Reactions: Mobius484
The problem with “I want to drive a Tesla the same way I’ve always driven” is, it’s not the same kind of car you’ve always driven. Steadfastly holding on to the past is a recipe for personal failure and disappointment.

Keeping both hands on the wheel is not difficult, just don’t apply the same amount of grip with both hands, but still have the loose hand ready to tighten on the wheel as necessary.

After 50 years of driving, it did not take long at all to adapt to how the feature worked. Living in the past without adapting to the future is a cop out, IMHO.
Yep 45 years driving here.
No issues figuring out how to hold a steering wheel or how to look to the right for speed display.
Also no problem adjusting to instant acceleration or regen braking.
Maybe we should have a faint stink of gasoline injected into the cabin to make it feel like it used to in the “good old days” ?
What’s funny is that AP isn’t 50 years old so difficult to use the learned behavior justification for not changing anything. :D

Reactions: milleron
I'm excited to try this on my commute tomorrow. Anyone used the offramp-aware TACC feature yet?

Yes, my car went from 74>70>65>60>55>60>70>74 when switch from one highway to another. On another one, the car took a sharp turn from 70>30 at a sharp exit, it then dropped further to 25mph at a short shoot before trying to plow through the T intersection at 25mph ;) As I said before, I just didn't like how the car doesn't tell you they dropped the speed for you. I wish they would change the speed indicator to orange or something to show an override is happening.

I have an AP2.5 X car, the hold onto steering wheel comes at 30 secs on highway travel. You can defeat that by basically resting your hand on the wheel. I push my thumb at the steering wheel and it can defeat it, it was way more sensitive than before. No problem with plowing into another lane, just the same usual good and the bad. In the 18 release, the car had the stopped car roulette problem, it feels much better on 21.

Probably not going to be a popular point of view. But, what’s wrong with keeping your hands on the wheel at all times.
View attachment 308503

Pretty sure when the feature released, the nag time was what... 30 minutes? You really think Elon allowed a 30 minute nag timer without secretly intending people to drive with their hands off the wheel? That's exactly why it was up to 30 minutes. Dumb ****s abused it and now we're more restricted than ever. Driving hands off is not the issue - I've done it for thousands of miles. Taking your eyes off the road is what gets you (& others) killed. Short of a split-second reaction situation, hands resting on the steering wheel or in my lap makes no difference. If the road conditions become less than ideal, then you should obviously put your hands on the wheel to be prepared to immediately take over, or just take over. Hands in the lap while cruising down a straight open highway while paying attention is not a safety hazard.

Everyone in this thread is wrapped up with AP but what about the reference to the mobile connector? Is this the ChaDeMo adapter? If I charge with it, when it's done, will it deploy some firmware upgrade to it and then notify me?
It's not the CHAdeMO adapter. The Mobile Connector aka Universal Mobile Connector aka UMC is the device that comes with the car. The release note first appeared a couple versions ago. If you read release notes for 2018.18, you'll see some images where people showed their UMC was updated after the car firmware was updated. It takes a couple of minutes and then the message goes away.

Probably not going to be a popular point of view. But, what’s wrong with keeping your hands on the wheel at all times. Autopilot in its present form is not intended for use without your hands on the wheel.
To be upset that you are being reminded that you are abusing and misusing this feature seems a bit ridiculous to me. People used to complain about seat belt reminders as well. I’m sure many lives have been spared and will be spared by increased nagging. In the case of autosteer, it may not just be the driver’s life that is saved.
This excerpt from the owner’s manual couldn’t be more clear:
View attachment 308503

Someone is fishing for 'likes" and "loves" here :) jk, but you got my "like" regardless.

It's not the CHAdeMO adapter. The Mobile Connector aka Universal Mobile Connector aka UMC is the device that comes with the car. The release note first appeared a couple versions ago. If you read release notes for 2018.18, you'll see some images where people showed their UMC was updated after the car firmware was updated. It takes a couple of minutes and then the message goes away.

Wait the mobile connector cable itself can be updated?

Someone is fishing for 'likes" and "loves" here :) jk, but you got my "like" regardless.
Funny you should think that.
Wasn’t fishing. Felt more like jumping into shark infested waters based on the amount of complaints about nags in this thread. I was really expecting the opposite reaction. Pleasantly surprised.

I just saw the post where someone was giving advice on how to game the autopilot system so he will not need to keep a hand on the wheel. Believe this is what is leading to Autopilot needing to implement more agressive hands on protocols.

No problem passing on an update, but sooner or later you are going to want to get with the program,

We sometimes are our own worst enemy.

Reactions: Helmuth
Again, you're telling us to change our driving style to something unnatural compared to what we've done for 30 years. That's all our complaint is: some of us DO keep both hands on the steering wheel as the manual stipulates and it still does NOT register us being there. Now if the comments about it being more sensitive this release are true then hopefully it'll magically detect us that use both hands but don't apply continuous torque away from a straight line. An actual touch sensor in the steering wheel would have seen us holding the wheel 100% of the time, but there is no way this feature will be retrofitted. Time will tell whether the more sensitive torque detection is enough.
Maybe not entirely relevant, but you were already supposed to have changed your hand positions on the wheel. 10 and 2 are no longer correct since the advent of the airbag. That's why there are those nice grips built into the wheel at 9 and 3.

When I'm driving, I have two hands on the wheel. When I'm supervising the car's driving, I have one hand on the side of the wheel, toward the bottom, exerting just the hand and forearm weight for torque on the wheel. Never any nags.

As an Old Dog myself, I know it is possible to learn new tricks.

Maybe not entirely relevant, but you were already supposed to have changed your hand positions on the wheel. 10 and 2 are no longer correct since the advent of the airbag. That's why there are those nice grips built into the wheel at 9 and 3.

When I'm driving, I have two hands on the wheel. When I'm supervising the car's driving, I have one hand on the side of the wheel, toward the bottom, exerting just the hand and forearm weight for torque on the wheel. Never any nags.

As an Old Dog myself, I know it is possible to learn new tricks.

I personally use four oranges spaced and tied onto the wheel, whilst balancing a metronome at the 12 o'clock position, used for oscillating pressure. No nags, just a hell of a lot of citrus and exceptional rhythm.