Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.21.9 75bdbc11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just checked more carefully

1:00 white bar and text appear together
1:10 ish single beep, possibly faster flashing of white bar
1:20 ish double beep, possibly again increased white bar flashing
1:30 lockout

I have no idea why they reduced to a white bar. One problem I see is of people have their steering wheels a bit low then you run the risk of them not seeing the bar.

Seems that it is only showing adjacent lane traffic when in *front* of the Tesla. Was this the case with AP1 also? Or did AP1 show cars directly to the left and right as well?
It was that way on AP1 as well. AP1 didn't have any side cameras. Eventually AP2 should be able to use the side cameras to indicate adjacent cars.

What happens after lockout?

What if someone passes out for whatever reason. Does AP just continue on TACC without AS? If AP doesn't do something more drastic like attempting to pull over with hazards on, followed by a shutdown, there's going to be real pain down the road.

Almost need an automated call out to Tesla to alert local responders with location and specifics. Would be a good selling point, but more so an important safety feature.

Reactions: redy and daktari
What happens after lockout?

What if someone passes out for whatever reason. Does AP just continue on TACC without AS? If AP doesn't do something more drastic like attempting to pull over with hazards on, followed by a shutdown, there's going to be real pain down the road.

Almost need an automated call out to Tesla to alert local responders with location and specifics. Would be a good selling point, but more so an important safety feature.

I've seen in the past that the car stops and turns on the hazards after you don't respond at the point of the lockout. Those are past versions though.

• Informative
Reactions: Joe F
I've seen in the past that the car stops and turns on the hazards after you don't respond at the point of the lockout. Those are past versions though.

Unless your foot is on the accelerator, in which case it will keep driving to the best of its ability with the flashers on and continuous loud beeping... (Obviously the foot is overriding TACC so it will plow into the back of another car if your foot commands faster than the car in front of you.)

I just checked more carefully

1:00 white bar and text appear together
1:10 ish single beep, possibly faster flashing of white bar
1:20 ish double beep, possibly again increased white bar flashing
1:30 lockout

I have no idea why they reduced to a white bar. One problem I see is of people have their steering wheels a bit low then you run the risk of them not seeing the bar.
So, is there really no flag at the beginning now (at least on this release)? That was always the unobtrusive 'warning' before the screaming white ring and then the beeping. I always thought the popup/flag was useless because unless you were actually looking at the IC, what's the point. Perhaps Tesla finally woke up to this!

I still think this is a beta that escaped... :D 8 and 22 copies (ev-fw and TeslaFi) doesn't a real release make. But I guess we'll know by over the weekend.....

(TeslaFi is a bit messed up by that one car in Germany with the one corrupted release number....)

Reactions: croman
Don't forget the 8 copies on Model 3s that ev-fw lists as well...
My bad, guess that's why TeslaFi is a bit higher. Still can't see why they would use odd weeks for testing for so long and abandon it. Could have just as easily called this 2018.22.x. :D

It's a plot, I tell ya, a plot! We're already half crazy trying to decipher these things.....

Unless your foot is on the accelerator, in which case it will keep driving to the best of its ability with the flashers on and continuous loud beeping...

It doesn't pull over. Just has hazards and stops in the middle of whatever lane you were in. Not ideal but better than continuing on and dying.

Unfortunate. They could do much better, and it wouldn't take much coding either.

It likely is using the ADAS tiles. We know they were recently reactivated (and then moved so we lost access) but we didn't know why. I think we know. Elon said deliver something and the only thing they could do was rely on the old ADAS tiles. This bodes poorly for HD map deployment. If they are still relying on ADAS tile curvature information, HD maps clearly aren't ready or even close to ready...

That might be the "super complicated" other option to which Elon was referring (e.g. the proper L3+ method to self-driving). This is just applying the existing stuff (probably what they were thinking for v8.1 but never gave) and hoping it tides over the masses until they can deploy something worthwhile (which is still nebulous).

Not great at all. They need to make and implement HD maps ASAP. What's sad is that Hotz is looking like he has a better game plan than Tesla...
Is that the same method AP1 uses? Because it slows nicely for ramps.

Unfortunate. They could do much better, and it wouldn't take much coding either.

Honestly, the car might not be able to navigate safely using just ultrasonics to a shoulder nor identify a safe shoulder area (its a dangerous part of the highway as well). Further, AP is used on local roads without shoulders, but the risk of a stopped car being hit is less due to lesser speed of travel too. Short of firing out flares or orange triangles, I'm not sure what else we can expect when incapacitated with an L2 system...

Reactions: saniflash and Joe F
So, is there really no flag at the beginning now (at least on this release)? That was always the unobtrusive 'warning' before the screaming white ring and then the beeping. I always thought the popup/flag was useless because unless you were actually looking at the IC, what's the point. Perhaps Tesla finally woke up to this!

I still think this is a beta that escaped... :D 8 and 22 copies (ev-fw and TeslaFi) doesn't a real release make. But I guess we'll know by over the weekend.....

(TeslaFi is a bit messed up by that one car in Germany with the one corrupted release number....)
It might still give 3 seconds of the "Hold steering wheel" message before it starts flashing. I never notice that message since it is on the bottom. I do see the screen flash from time to time but have never gotten an audio alert in over 12000 miles of AP driving.

It might still give 3 seconds of the "Hold steering wheel" message before it starts flashing. I never notice that message since it is on the bottom. I do see the screen flash from time to time but have never gotten an audio alert in over 12000 miles of AP driving.
Exactly... I've only gotten an audio alert when I let it go to test that it actually did do it. I thought the audio was broken. But it's (was) after all the white flashing....

Could have sworn back when (in YT videos) that it beeped when it started flashing.

Honestly, the car might not be able to navigate safely using just ultrasonics to a shoulder nor identify a safe shoulder area (its a dangerous part of the highway as well). Further, AP is used on local roads without shoulders, but the risk of a stopped car being hit is less due to lesser speed of travel too. Short of firing out flares or orange triangles, I'm not sure what else we can expect when incapacitated with an L2 system...

True, but I was more thinking an inside lane (if there is one) but more importantly, an ET phone home to the mothership similar to OnStar. Could send location and pics of area. Imagine passing out and going over a cliff like what happened in CA, or passing out at 3 AM on a less traveled highway on AP. Could be a long time in either case before being discovered. Hopefully the mirror (antenna) and 12 volt power remains intact.

If anything, sitting on a road where, depending on topology, high speed traffic would be on you with little to no sightline like around a curve.

If anything, I think it would be a good safety selling point, one the competition doesn't have.

Reactions: croman
Exactly... I've only gotten an audio alert when I let it go to test that it actually did do it. I thought the audio was broken. But it's (was) after all the white flashing....

Could have sworn back when (in YT videos) that it beeped when it started flashing.
In older versions it would flash for about 10 seconds and then it would start flashing faster and then start beeping s couple seconds later. I'm still on 2018.14.2 so I can't test this version yet.