Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.21.9 75bdbc11

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
** my first post **
I got this update this morning here in the UK, I am sure the NAG feature happens more often now, also when its asking to hold the steering wheel, the flashing white light now only appears at the top and not all around the display like it used to, also found my car doing sudden braking when passing lorries, only did a small drive but just wanted to share.

Here is a freeway interchange on 2018.21.9 75bdbc11 on a Model X 100D W/ Autopilot 2.5. Autopilot lowered the speed limit automatically, but freaked out halfway through the turn. To be fair, this was a difficult turn. I will have to try another interchange when I have time.

Here is an offramp. Notice the speed limit on autopilot slows down automatically. Previously when I had autopilot on when I was using this offramp it would just drop from whatever speed I was going to 45MPH very abruptly and that was it. Now it is very gradual. I tried another time with a longer ramp and it slowed down more gradually and got down to around 25MPH.

The guy driving in front of you in the first video must be on 17.11.10.

On local roads this build seems more susceptible to dive for side streets. I've had this happen 4 times today on my morning commute which I'm thinking is too much to be a coincidence. I'd strongly recommend keeping hands on the wheel.

Aside from that Autosteer seems about the same as previous builds. TACC is still too slow to react when a lead vehicle exits the lane in front. I can't say this represents a giant leap forward like 10.4 was.

On local roads this build seems more susceptible to dive for side streets. I've had this happen 4 times today on my morning commute which I'm thinking is too much to be a coincidence. I'd strongly recommend keeping hands on the wheel.

Aside from that Autosteer seems about the same as previous builds. TACC is still too slow to react when a lead vehicle exits the lane in front. I can't say this represents a giant leap forward like 10.4 was.

Its too unpredictable on local roads I don't even use it unless Im on the highway, not even on the expressway. You're right on the TACC but I think thats a safety precaution because vehicles can swerve out of the lane and back in so if it were to accelerate when its "almost" out of the lane and then it comes back then its an accident waiting to happen. I just press the accelerator when I see it waiting of the vehicle to clear and it will speed up and not lag acceleration.

Is it also still too slow on overtaking other cars?

I mean, if you can't overtake soon enough because of X reason and your car slows down to match the speed of the vehicle in front of you, then you engage the Auto Steer, it's beginning the overtake action wayyyy to slow (only accelerates once it's in the adjacent lane, instead of right away).

It would need to use mapping because most off-ramps don't have speed limits posted, and the if they are posted its when you are in the midst of the off-ramp...lastly the speed limit sign is not the standard sign therefore might not even be recognized.
Could it be VISION? Like hey the road ahead has a sharp turn and I better start slowing down. But not sure how it would slow down if the off ramp had no turn? It does not recognize the Stop Light at the bottom of the off ramp, right?

Any change in behavior when driving in the right lane and an exit / entrance ramp 'widens' the lane, causing AP to drift right to center itself, only to swerve back left once the lane narrows back to it's normal size?

Its too unpredictable on local roads I don't even use it unless Im on the highway, not even on the expressway. You're right on the TACC but I think thats a safety precaution because vehicles can swerve out of the lane and back in so if it were to accelerate when its "almost" out of the lane and then it comes back then its an accident waiting to happen. I just press the accelerator when I see it waiting of the vehicle to clear and it will speed up and not lag acceleration.

True and will remain that way until EAP is smart enough, and cameras and maps being used, to understand that the car has moved in to a turning lane and not just swerving off road and 100% coming back in to the lane as it thinks it is now.

Reactions: BLKTSLA
Would it make sense that it’s relying on mapping data to do the offramp speed reduction?

It likely is using the ADAS tiles. We know they were recently reactivated (and then moved so we lost access) but we didn't know why. I think we know. Elon said deliver something and the only thing they could do was rely on the old ADAS tiles. This bodes poorly for HD map deployment. If they are still relying on ADAS tile curvature information, HD maps clearly aren't ready or even close to ready...

That might be the "super complicated" other option to which Elon was referring (e.g. the proper L3+ method to self-driving). This is just applying the existing stuff (probably what they were thinking for v8.1 but never gave) and hoping it tides over the masses until they can deploy something worthwhile (which is still nebulous).

Not great at all. They need to make and implement HD maps ASAP. What's sad is that Hotz is looking like he has a better game plan than Tesla...

Just commuted with this version.

Nag hold starts at 1 min with the white bar only on the top of the screen and locks you out for the drive at 1:30.

Cars visible in multiple lanes is nice but gets very busy during commute hours and a little distracting when you're in a car pool lane flying by stopped traffic.

I'm never able to see the release notes anymore. The screen is blank. Anyone else?

Just commuted with this version.

Nag hold starts at 1 min with the white bar only on the top of the screen and locks you out for the drive at 1:30.

Cars visible in multiple lanes is nice but gets very busy during commute hours and a little distracting when you're in a car pool lane flying by stopped traffic.

I'm never able to see the release notes anymore. The screen is blank. Anyone else?
Nag starts with the white bar? Not all the way around? What happened to the Hold Wheel flag that comes first?

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Drove this morning. Nagging seems exactly the same. However, it seems to slow more appropriately around steep curves. Definitely got the cars in other lanes showing up now. Regen braking also seems mildly more aggressive but that could be entirely imaginary.

• Informative
Reactions: daktari