Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update 2018.36.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same. Not really sure how this works.

Just hang in there. You’ll get software updates eventually.

Having the car connected to wi-if at home should get updates to you slightly faster, but you’ll get them eventually. If you ordered after July 1, you’ll eventually need to be connected to wi-go or pay for premium connectivity to get non-safety related updates.

Right now, just some minor UI changes (larger battery icon, etc), so no worries that you’re behind a couple versions. You’re not missing out on anything.

When the first public installations of 9.0 firmware are out, brace yourself. The whole forum is going to go crazy because some dude got the software before them.

Reactions: noicepls
How is it possible that Tesla doesn't maintain a version log announcing what's changed in each version? I gather from this and other threads that they leave it up to users to figure out on their own. It surely wouldn't be that difficult, and would presumably result in a net increase in customer goodwill and brand building. What's the downside to being transparent about the software updates?

I got this update last night (36.2). The commute was awesome:
  1. Following distances improved
  2. No Hard braking when following at 2 (car length).
  3. Lane changing is really smooth now.
This is the best update so far, especially if you have an early commute and use TACC and AutoPilot on your drive. Well, it is for me anyway!
Car did a quick brake while changing lanes into a lane with no close cars ahead but a slim shadow and an overhead road sign. Did another really light quick one (~2mph slowdown) going downhill with shadows from overhead branches and trees (unsure what causes that specifically but I’ve had it happen on that road at various points before) Seems they still haven’t fully fixed the phantom braking. First one would’ve been an annoying brake check at best to someone behind me in either lane, and a rear end at worst if they were checking their phone or something.

• Informative
Reactions: RBowen
How is it possible that Tesla doesn't maintain a version log announcing what's changed in each version? I gather from this and other threads that they leave it up to users to figure out on their own. It surely wouldn't be that difficult, and would presumably result in a net increase in customer goodwill and brand building. What's the downside to being transparent about the software updates?

It is frustrating. It would be nice to be able to see the full release notes so you could tell if an issue you've encountered has been fixed in the latest version. That and the fact that you don't know what version you're getting until the update has completed.

Tesla service techs have access to the full release notes for each build. There was someone on reddit a while back that managed to sneak a peak at a service center technician's computer screen for a few seconds and reported on all of the fixes that were included in the build that was installed on their Model 3.

• Love
Reactions: AnarchyEOD
FWIW, the last two times I’ve gotten updates was after I noticed the car wasn’t connecting to WiFi and I manually reconnected it. Got an update within 12 hours both times. It could have been a coincidence, so YMMV.
Interesting. Every time I've consciously looked while parked in my garage I've seen that the car was connected to my WiFi network with plenty of signal. After reading your post I walked down and sure enough, it was connected to LTE only and I had to reconnect to my home network again.

Not a big deal if I get these updates later, since it sounds like they are sometimes buggy anyway, but nice to understand how it works and what may precipitate it getting pushed out to my car. Thanks for the replies.

It's proven that people find value in knowing how wide spread any given update is being deployed. You'll have to suffer the pain of clicking the next page button a few times, sorry.

I'm with MelaniainLA. Best source for update distribution is teslafi's fleet tracker. 2000+ sample size and detailed reporting on version by vehicle type. IIRC, this is basically self-moderated, so all are free to do what they want. Still. Original post is a good suggestion.

Please let this be the one that fixes the problem with browsing the media player favorites with the left scroll wheel. I think that's 2 or 3 firmware updates now that have gone by without fixing it. I'm still surprised more people haven't noticed this problem, but I think most people interact with the screen to choose their favorites.

Reactions: eli_
Adjacent space, no. But it's pretty straightforward to mention that the car must be > 30 ft (or whatever) from a Supercharger stall. The car certainly has the accuracy for that. Probably more like 15-20 feet.
the tolerance for "civilian" GPS is ~15-20 feet. Unfortunately, not accurate enough to resolve potential disputes. If you're plugged in...they've got you...you're busted. But say you move over to the next spot, not plugged in. Now you're only 4 feet away, but GPS isn't accurate enough to prove you OR Tesla right or wrong about your proximity to a Supercharger parking space.

the tolerance for "civilian" GPS is ~15-20 feet. Unfortunately, not accurate enough to resolve potential disputes. If you're plugged in...they've got you...you're busted. But say you move over to the next spot, not plugged in. Now you're only 4 feet away, but GPS isn't accurate enough to prove you OR Tesla right or wrong about your proximity to a Supercharger parking space.

I understand the limitations. Hence my comment re: 30 ft. I'm not talking about 4 feet. The point is that a frustratingly large-enough contingent of Tesla owners do actually park but not charge, and Tesla currently can do nothing about this. They need to figure out how to charge those folks, too.

Doesn't work for people waiting in line to use Superchargers.

This is a better argument against the idea.

I understand the limitations. Hence my comment re: 30 ft. I'm not talking about 4 feet. The point is that a frustratingly large-enough contingent of Tesla owners do actually park but not charge, and Tesla currently can do nothing about this. They need to figure out how to charge those folks, too.

This is a better argument against the idea.

There are some SC stations with cameras. Maybe those can be leveraged like EZ Pass does to assess fines.

It's kinda sad that we have to have the conversation at all. Tesla shouldn't have to be finding ways to punish people. All they have to do is not be a dick about it.

*sigh*

2017 MS 100D and just noticed 2 instances where using it on local roads (gasp!) in an intersection (double gasp!) where it would previously cruise through without issue immediately threw up "Apply light force..." with white flashing and beeping, but interestingly, *not* the red hands of death "take over immediately." It's almost like it was trying to tell me, "Ayyo driver - my confidence level just plummeted; little help?"

General feeling on AP2 on the highway is that it feels "tweaked." Can't quite say for sure what's different about it, but it largely felt stable, solid, and confident, just... different. I have absolutely no hard data to back this up other than butt dyno, but didn't have any anomalies.