Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update interrupted -- now nothing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My AP2 S75D is on 2019.12.1.1. After pulling out of the garage at home today, I noticed that 2019.16.2 had downloaded about 45%. I assumed that it would resume when I got back on Wi-Fi, and it did. It downloaded about another 5-10% and then stopped completely. I verified that home Wi-Fi was working properly and that it was connected, as indicated in the car, waited 30 minutes with no progress at all, and then rebooted the MCU. After that, it showed the download stuck in the same place, then transiently looked like it was starting the download over again, then reverted to the Software tab showing nothing but the current version, 2019.12.1, and the link to the release notes. After another 2 hours on Wi-Fi, the download never again showed up as "available."
I called Tech Support and waited on hold for 28 minutes. I was then put on hold again after the support person looked at my car. She finally returned to say that the download was probably stopped because it "wasn't a good fit for the vehicle." She said it might start over again in "1-2 weeks."

I think that this explanation is thoroughly preposterous. Any number of cars identical to mine have received this update per TeslaFi. Does anyone have any insight on what happened and what to do to get the download to start over?

Sorry, sometimes Tesla does pull back updates that are staged. This can be for a variety of reasons. Either because they found a bug, or just other people installed the update first and they’re above their target quota (eg 10% of the fleet)

You just have to wait for the next rollout wave.

I didn't know about "target quotas." That may explain it. However, I'm surprised that they'd stop the download when it was half done, and I have seen this particular software update continue in other cars like mine on TeslaFi all during the 4 hours since my incident occurred. Anyway, at the rate they're blasting this version, it looks as though they aim to have almost the entire fleet of AP2 cars on the new update in about 5 days, so I rather doubt that it'll be "1-2 weeks" as Tech Gal explained.

I didn't know about "target quotas." That may explain it. However, I'm surprised that they'd stop the download when it was half done, and I have seen this particular software update continue in other cars like mine on TeslaFi all during the 4 hours since my incident occurred. Anyway, at the rate they're blasting this version, it looks as though they aim to have almost the entire fleet of AP2 cars on the new update in about 5 days, so I rather doubt that it'll be "1-2 weeks" as Tech Gal explained.

Well today was still a small ish rollout — everyone stabilized at around 10% of the fleet. The TeslaFi fleet is growing every day so it’s more important to look at percentage than number of updates a day.

Assuming nothing goes wrong I expect them to open the flood gates again for 33%, 66%, then everyone. At least based on past history. But if any bugs are found they usually start out again with another 10% or smaller rollout.

@milleron

If you go to the local SC, they can probably force a new download

You're absolutely right, StarLog, but I didn't even go or call. I was so sure about having a download stop dead in its tracks not being a routine problem, that I scheduled an appt via the phone app at the SC for 9 days later. However, the following morning, after reading the reason for the appt., the guys at the SC simply directed the download to start again. It did, and it completed rapidly and without incident even before I found their text message explaining what they'd done. My only remaining question is why the people at Roadside Assistance/Tech Support couldn't have done that the previous evening. Isn't that within the capability of Tech Support?

This actually sounds somewhat normal. I've had the update available icon go away if I didn't upgrade within a certain time period. What I think happened in your case is that Tesla received feedback from other cars similar to yours and pulled the update like the SC said.

Reactions: gaswalla