Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update is stuck and Tesla Service says they can't do anything.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car has been stuck at 48% while downloading 2022.36.6 for the last few days now. I've rebooted the car multiple times, ensured it was connected to wifi, and even powered off the car for an hour. I created a service ticket through the app and the service team told me they can't do anything and to just wait for the update to finish and then closed the ticket.

I'm pretty sure nothing will happen if I keep waiting as it has been days and the update hasn't progressed a single percent. All the updates I've ever received downloaded within an hour. Is there anything else I can do?

My car has been stuck at 48% while downloading 2022.36.6 for the last few days now. I've rebooted the car multiple times, ensured it was connected to wifi, and even powered off the car for an hour. I created a service ticket through the app and the service team told me they can't do anything and to just wait for the update to finish and then closed the ticket.

I'm pretty sure nothing will happen if I keep waiting as it has been days and the update hasn't progressed a single percent. All the updates I've ever received downloaded within an hour. Is there anything else I can do?
It seems that recent updates "hang" during download, although it is generally reported at 50% not 48%. This has been the case for me when downloading .24.8, .28.2, and .36.5. A couple nights ago the hang at 50% while downloading 36.5 lasted over five hours for me, at which point I went to sleep, and then installed the update while drinking morning coffee.

So I think you should just wait. Restarting the process is probably just re-inflicting that hang.

Reactions: JBT66 and gaswalla
I have the same problem with my Tesla Model Y. For several days now, the app says "Software Update. Downloading 2022.36.6"... but it doesn't complete!!!! The car and app are both connected to the WiFi, yet the problem persists. Thinking of taking it to the Tesla showroom or service station.

I have the same problem with my Tesla Model Y. For several days now, the app says "Software Update. Downloading 2022.36.6"... but it doesn't complete!!!! The car and app are both connected to the WiFi, yet the problem persists. Thinking of taking it to the Tesla showroom or service station.
I ended up calling Tesla Customer Service 1 (888) 518-3752 and the agent over the phone was able to remote into my vehicle and restart the update. Took about 5 minutes, I was on hold longer than I was speaking with the agent.

After restarting the download it finished successfully. I highly suggest doing this.

I find that my updates always hang at 50% for hours to days when I am connected to newer ISP modems that have both 5 g and 2.4 g and when I am in my garage. But when I use an 8 year old linksys 4 port wireless router, and have it about 10 feet away from my car using both power and RJ45 extensions cords at my office, the downloads always take less than 5 mins.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221104_184809.jpg
    Screenshot_20221104_184809.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 1,344
Had my 2022.40.4 update stuck at 24% for a couple of days. Restart cleared it back to 0% and it started downloading again.

Installing now
Interestingly didn't appear to have the usual lengthy error check at 50% like previous updates.

Was definitely a big one. Took over 1.5hrs to download on mobile hotspot at 1.5-2MBps.

Had mine get stuck at 50% for a couple days. Noticed the car was going to sleep in the garage. Enabled Sentry mode to keep it awake and a few hours later the update was available to install.

Not sure if it’s a sure fix, but it worked for me.

I had a similar experience. I downloaded and installed 2022.40.4 in less than an hour today.The car was also charging and thus awake. Perhaps keeping the car awake does help.

Had my 2022.40.4 update stuck at 24% for a couple of days. Restart cleared it back to 0% and it started downloading again.

Installing now
Interestingly didn't appear to have the usual lengthy error check at 50% like previous updates.

Was definitely a big one. Took over 1.5hrs to download on mobile hotspot at 1.5-2MBps.
How did you restart it? Mine stuck at 50%

How long? It can be normal for updates to do an error check at 50% for up to an hour or so.

If longer, double press both scroll wheels for 5+ seconds and the computer will restart.
I was stuck at 50% since last night. Restarting computer (hold both scroll wheels on the steering) and Shutting down computer from Security page didn’t help. So I felt bold to enter the Service Mode, Reinstalled software, and started download again. It worked!!

I ended up calling Tesla Customer Service 1 (888) 518-3752 and the agent over the phone was able to remote into my vehicle and restart the update. Took about 5 minutes, I was on hold longer than I was speaking with the agent.

After restarting the download it finished successfully. I highly suggest doing this.
I tried everything and nothing worked. I took your suggestion, called and it worked exactly as you described but in less than five minutes. The service attendant told me I had three bars of wifi and that the issue was on their end. He restarted the download and its now finished. THANK YOU!!!

Since I have been vocal about this being the new normal: the last three downloads for me never got stuck. My "new normal" is that it works as expected. Fortunately I never had to contact Tesla about it. The first time it worked correctly, again, was 12/12/2022, when 2022.44.2 was downloaded. My car was running 2022.40.9 during the download, so maybe that is roughly when they fixed it.