Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update stalled?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Friday morning I had the 2019.32.10 update waiting on me and I installed with no issues. Saturday afternoon I get a notice on my iPhone and in the car that 2019.32.11 is downloading. It is now 24 hours later and it still has not downloaded. Since we can now check progress, I did so but looking at the Software Update screen, it appears that virtually no progress has been made. I presume that there is a progress bar now on the screen. Could someone verify that this is correct? Since this is my first upgrade where I can now see progress I am not sure what is should look like. See attached photo from my screen.
Update download.jpg

If the update is stalled, is there a way for me to terminate this download? I have done a screen reset (both wheels on the steering wheel) but that did nothing and the update still shows as downloading with no progress. Also for the record, I have wifi coverage in my garage, the car is connected to it and have verified that the wifi signal connects to the internet.

Thanks for any info!

Try doing a full power down by selecting the “Power Off” button on the screen. Stay in the car, wait a full two minutes, then tap the brake pedal.

Give it a day. If it’s still stuck, open your phone app, select “Schedule Service” then select “Software.” In the text field that appears, type “Software update stuck for several days.” This will schedule you a service appointment, but most likely they will unstick the update, send you the update again, and then they’ll cancel your service appointment.

Try doing a full power down by selecting the “Power Off” button on the screen. Stay in the car, wait a full two minutes, then tap the brake pedal.

Give it a day. If it’s still stuck, open your phone app, select “Schedule Service” then select “Software.” In the text field that appears, type “Software update stuck for several days.” This will schedule you a service appointment, but most likely they will unstick the update, send you the update again, and then they’ll cancel your service appointment.

Update: I followed Phlier's advice. The resets did not work and the update was still stalled. I scheduled a service appointment through the app. Within a few hours, I got a reply from Tesla that many folks have had issues with 2019.32.11 getting stuck. They remotely cancelled the update and restarted it. Before I could even get back to my car, the download had finished. Installed successfully in about :15. Really impressed with how quickly Tesla moved on this. Even more impressed with the knowledge and willingness to help that exists in our Tesla community!
Thanks Philer!

Reactions: Phlier