Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TeslaFi shows that 0.3% of the fleet are (still) on 2.52.120 so, yeah, I suggest you contact Tesla and see why your car has not updated. Sometimes a release is "held", which would be an explanation, but in this case there is clearly something wrong for you, specifically.

If you can park near a strong WiFi signal that may help - Tesla does sometimes delay shipping updates to cars via mobile data (costs them more presumably) but even those cars will get the update eventually. If your car is already often near a WiFi signal then something is wrong ...

I'm not entirely sure of what you are asking. People may be using the terms "software update" and firmware update" somewhat interchangeably. Both refer to the main software. You can check what version you have by pressing the Tesla T on the 17" display.

The only other kind of update is a maps update, and those just happen--about once a year--and you are informed, via a pop-up message, that the maps have been updated. Unlike the other kind of update, you don't schedule it or approve it. It just happens.

Knowing that there is a difference between software and firmware I wondered if there was a different update process. Obviously not,thanks for the clarification. I'll be sure to press the T as soon as I collect the car on 1st March :D

Reactions: Andyw2100
I have version 2.52.120 which is the same as when I picked it up. I have absolutely no AP function at all - not even what was shown to me when I had a test drive & I did choose to upgrade to the AP2 prior to the car being built.

I saw Elon tweet On Jan 22nd to say a limited AP2 update had been released to all cars & seemingly lots of people in the Facebook group got it about a week later. So I feel like I'm the only one with absolutely no AP capability at all, no summon, no auto steer, parking - nothing. It's much like driving any other luxury car at the mo

I think sometimes if the car has tried to update and failed it stops trying. A call to Support and they then force the update seems to work I believe.

TeslaFi shows that 0.3% of the fleet are (still) on 2.52.120 so, yeah, I suggest you contact Tesla and see why your car has not updated. Sometimes a release is "held", which would be an explanation, but in this case there is clearly something wrong for you, specifically.

If you can park near a strong WiFi signal that may help - Tesla does sometimes delay shipping updates to cars via mobile data (costs them more presumably) but even those cars will get the update eventually. If your car is already often near a WiFi signal then something is wrong ...

Will do thanks for the info

@Discosquirrel - you are far from alone. At least 10 MX owners that i know in the various forums have the same situation as you - nowt working despite the fact we have paid for these capabilities. I pointed this out to my DS at delivery and was assured they would come alive within 100 miles max of driving when "calibration is completed".

A month on from delivery and they need to start putting it right. I know of one owner who has apparently been given a new set of winter tyres to placate his wrath.

My own car is going in for a 2 day session next week to see if they can succeed in getting the features working. It has the latest software and had a remote technician trying to get it to work but without success.

Bummer eh?

That's what happened to me originally and then slowly, slowly then drip feed you a new function bit by bit. whilst i do now have adaptive cruise control etc, I still don't have what i would term to be the really basic stuff, like the headlights going off when its gets daylight, windscreen wipers clearing automatically when it rains, let alone the fancy stuff like self parking! oh, did i say fancy? My wifes Ford does that.....

@Discosquirrel - you are far from alone. At least 10 MX owners that i know in the various forums have the same situation as you - nowt working despite the fact we have paid for these capabilities. I pointed this out to my DS at delivery and was assured they would come alive within 100 miles max of driving when "calibration is completed".

A month on from delivery and they need to start putting it right. I know of one owner who has apparently been given a new set of winter tyres to placate his wrath.

My own car is going in for a 2 day session next week to see if they can succeed in getting the features working. It has the latest software and had a remote technician trying to get it to work but without success.

Bummer eh?

I called Tesla support yesterday & the guy I spoke to was really helpful, could see the update had been attempted & failed, checked to see if I had 4g connection issues (I live in a city so obviously no) & said they'd try again but that if it didn't work then it was more than likely an issue with the car & I'd need to be booked into a service centre but they'd let me know...... I missed the call back & so called again this morning. Guy I spoke to this time was considerably less helpful & not up for me getting a service centre appointment at all, kept saying the issue was that my wifi kept dropping & he could see the car was connected to wifi. I disputed this as I have never been able to get my car to connect to home wifi as it tells me the password is wrong. He's adamant the car IS connected to wifi so I go out to it & lo & behold it is not..... so I turn off the wifi altogether so there can be no further disputes on that & he says they'll try again but it might take "a few days". Anyway this afternoon it showed up & I successfully installed it. Doing a motorway drive tomorrow so we shall see how it performs......

@Discosquirrel I really hope it does the trick for you but this is exactly what my experience was. The following day i had some new error codes but still no new features. I was then told it would take 100 miles max of driving to calibrate the sensors. Nothing happened after 200 miles. Maybe give it another day was the helpful suggestion. Eventually agree there is something not right and they have it booked in for 4 days. If it wasn't such a great car without the new features my lawyers would be involved....
FIngers crossed for you.

I turn off the wifi altogether ... this afternoon it showed up & I successfully installed it

There have been some reports, over the months, of people who had trouble getting WiFi to connect. They seemed to go away (or the people gave up and figured something else out?!!) so I think worth persevering with sorting out your WiFi connection problem.

My first thought would be to see if it will connect to a completely different WiFi system somewhere else - e.g. round at a mate's house. If that works then likely some incompatibility between Yours and Tesla's kit.

@Discosquirrel I really hope it does the trick for you but this is exactly what my experience was. The following day i had some new error codes but still no new features. I was then told it would take 100 miles max of driving to calibrate the sensors. Nothing happened after 200 miles. Maybe give it another day was the helpful suggestion. Eventually agree there is something not right and they have it booked in for 4 days. If it wasn't such a great car without the new features my lawyers would be involved....
FIngers crossed for you.

Did a short drive earlier & it's showing other cars, road lines etc & when I set the speed to speed limit it was auto braking in time with the traffic so that's all new..... however I parked up 'manually' as normal & when I came back to the car it had a warning that auto park wasn't available & if the problem persists then to contact the service centre. I was in the perfect spot to test it out & mess around with controls - proper solid white lines & an almost empty carpark but my baby was having a meltdown so only time will tell whether that sorts itself out or if I'll need to be visiting the service centre

Nothing here on MX apart from TACC which required a day in the service centre to get it started. Calibration of HW2 blah blah. The software shows that AP is turned on but no autosteer even on the straight bits of the m23/m25 just by the Service Centre so no one is sure why the error of "not available in this location" should still be showing. It's a big car so autopark would be welcome.

Let's see what the next update brings...any one else with a MX got any of the goodies working yet?