Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Updates Free for life?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
However, what happens when you're not in or close to the car? Will there always be a wifi hotspot in range of where you're charging? If you don't have a connection from the car to the web, you won't be able to check status remotely, unless I'm missing something about the technology in use.

I might not mind tethering for maps/music, and update downloads can happen on my home wifi. The one thing that has me the most concerned is losing access to pre-heating the car during our Winter months (and I'm sure those of you in hot climates have similar desires to pre-cool the car).

If I can find a small data plan to just keep that functionality intact, great. However, the next concern would be limiting the cars use of that potentially small data plan... I'd like to see an option to stream maps/music, and limit software update downloads, to only happen on wifi (ie tethered).

I might not mind tethering for maps/music, and update downloads can happen on my home wifi. The one thing that has me the most concerned is losing access to pre-heating the car during our Winter months (and I'm sure those of you in hot climates have similar desires to pre-cool the car).

If I can find a small data plan to just keep that functionality intact, great. However, the next concern would be limiting the cars use of that potentially small data plan... I'd like to see an option to stream maps/music, and limit software update downloads, to only happen on wifi (ie tethered).
I get what you're saying! In the case of pre-heating, would that typically be needed in the same locations most of the time? My phone wanders onto the company wifi from the office as soon as I get into the parking lot. And here (not sure about their build out where you are), Shaw Go-WiFi seems to be everywhere... part of the reason my data numbers on the cellular network are so low is apparently due to the fact that I seem to be catching the Shaw wifi almost everywhere - including places I didn't expect to see anything at all. With time, I expect to see it in even more locations.

My point being - would you perhaps have access to adequate wifi available often enough to make the need for a small data plan unnecessary?

I get what you're saying! In the case of pre-heating, would that typically be needed in the same locations most of the time? My phone wanders onto the company wifi from the office as soon as I get into the parking lot.

Mine does too, but my company puts so many restrictions on the WiFi that although connected, I have no functionality in the car. I had to "forget" my company's settings in the car and just let it stay on 3G.

If you don't have a connection from the car to the web, you won't be able to check status remotely, unless I'm missing something about the technology in use.

The one thing that has me the most concerned is losing access to pre-heating the car during our Winter months (and I'm sure those of you in hot climates have similar desires to pre-cool the car).

I can't reference any specific statements by Elon/Tesla, but I believe it has been said that Tesla would maintain the connection for the purposes of remote monitoring and providing phone app functionality. If you don't pay for the connection, you would lose Web and Tune-in/Slacker, and probably Google Maps (unless they allow caching areas via Wi-Fi) and Traffic.