Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First let me say, I love my S. It has changed my life in a wonderful way. I'm a retired professor of computer science. I'm also an old gear head. So I pose this question,
Has anyone had a perfect software load experience? Everything worked perfectly as advertised? I have an antique, built in 2012, but it says 6 January 13. Every SW update for 4 years has been a disaster or to fix the last mess.
I taught CS for 6 years. If my students had submitted programs with so many bugs they would have gotten a F.
I offer another analogy. If, if u have a 8 yr old desktop computer at home. You try to jam new code that the BIOS or DRAM cant handle, it crashes.
Mine has been so bad they took away my supercharging for 6 months. Took away my TPMS Reset for 6 months. Just to name a few glitches.
But, I love my S, I ordered a truck. But, man give me a break, dont these programmers test their junk???

You've got to keep in mind the company priorities.

The programmers seem to be far more interested in doing important things like making "Fart Mode" more accessible, and improving gameplay in Backgammon.

Trivial things like "Does the update brick your MCU?" or "Does the update cause the car alarm to go off in the middle of the night" are much less important.

Edited to add: I've had my car since December 2014, and while there are many things about the car that I love -- There are also many things about the experience of owning a Tesla that is by far the worst of any car I've ever owned.

I am personally holding off on trading in my current car because I don't want to buy another Tesla given how bad the service/update experience is -- but I'm also not really interested in another ICE car, and nobody else has a compelling electric car *YET*. I can't wait until there's competition, and I'll likely be buying an electric car from someone else as soon as there is. Looks like we are going to be there in another year or two.

@Lasttoy : "I ordered a Cybertruck"...looks like your pseudo was premature (at least if it referred to your S).

Btw, thanks for buying already in 2012. I only joined the "mission" begin 2015, and by the time I had WAF and financial checked, it was mid of June.

Anyway, I agree it is frustrating when things that worked well break and new things are not working at initial release.
I learned to be patient as eventually it is restored or the feature also work on our car (recent ex: voice is now ok. Scheduled Charging still not).
In the end, we are the testers, so I also take time to report on things not ok to their support mailbox.
I don't hold my breath either, but like you, this car is like nothing else. For better and worst. But will keep on driving it as long as I can, with a big smile.

I got update sw last week.
My USB option was removed from music choice. I filed service ticket. Reply was "we didnt remove it". I sent them picture.

Next challenge. I pulled up the On ramp of interstate, pushed pedal to the floor. Got orange warning bar on KW usage screen. WTF over.
Was cruising about 80 mph and had a challenge from a Dodge. Haha, I mashed it to the floor again. Same warning. Tesla said send them another picture. I have pushed the pedal to the floor many times, never got warning.
As I asked, Dot these programmers test their junk? Got update last night, OMG ,, better games. Where are chargers. Leave my antique alone, unless u plan to ask us what we want? I want to be able to roll up windows from cell. Get rid of music screen that pops up on every start.

Lasttoy, please think of your ms as a computer on wheels. Most high tech savvy people replace or upgrade their computer hardware about every 5-7 years, so you are overdue. 7 years ago, my computer had a slow mechanical hard drive and processor, much less memory, very slow WiFi, mediocre apps, etc. This EE couldn't live with that old-tech today. While you probably don't want the big investment of a new ms, maybe you can upgrade from MCU1 to MCU2 for better handling of OTA updates. Relative to price of vehicle, it's not a huge investment.

I am looking forward to the Plaid model with 500 mi range, million mile battery, landscape display, wireless phone charging, V3 charging, maybe a heat pump, blind spot warning in side view mirrors, and many more goodies.

What baffles me is that, while these complaints are rampant in these forums (and I certainly have them myself), they're practically invisible on the outside. You don't see anyone writing articles about them, or making any noise visible anywhere outside the community.
The public-facing side of the Tesla experience is entirely on the positives, new gimmick features, and things that get noticed by people who don't actually own the car (or just bought one 2 months ago).

I have to wonder if this is because "we" want to protect Tesla from public shaming, or these rants sound too technical for anyone on the outside to care.

I got update sw last week.
My USB option was removed from music choice. I filed service ticket. Reply was "we didnt remove it". I sent them picture.

Next challenge. I pulled up the On ramp of interstate, pushed pedal to the floor. Got orange warning bar on KW usage screen. WTF over.
Was cruising about 80 mph and had a challenge from a Dodge. Haha, I mashed it to the floor again. Same warning. Tesla said send them another picture. I have pushed the pedal to the floor many times, never got warning.
As I asked, Dot these programmers test their junk? Got update last night, OMG ,, better games. Where are chargers. Leave my antique alone, unless u plan to ask us what we want? I want to be able to roll up windows from cell. Get rid of music screen that pops up on every start.

Are you talking about this triangle? I have seen this problem since 2015 Tesla could never tell me why this would keep happening.

upload_2020-6-15_12-4-49.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-6-15_12-3-58.png
    upload_2020-6-15_12-3-58.png
    287 KB · Views: 50