Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software versions for Powerwall 2?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The reason that I wanted to access the wizard and get it on my local network was to be able to set up data aggragation using PVOutput.org as documented on the MikesGear.com site: Monitoring Tesla’s Powerwall2 on PVOutput.org. So my next project is to get that up and running. It needs an always-on PC however, and I saw somewhere that someone set his up using a Raspberry Pi, so that's another task to get it up and running on that.
I set mine up on a tiny Win10 PC stick (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X4O6GRK) to get it up up quickly.

I will move it to a Raspberry PI when I get a chance. It should be pretty easy to do, the scripts are not PC specific and the config files I set up on the little PC will work on the PI.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I set mine up on a tiny Win10 PC stick (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00X4O6GRK) to get it up up quickly.

I will move it to a Raspberry PI when I get a chance. It should be pretty easy to do, the scripts are not PC specific and the config files I set up on the little PC will work on the PI.

I'm now thinking about doing the same thing as well. I'm much more familiar with Win10 than Linux.

Any reason why you bought the version without the Ethernet port? When I do move to the Raspberry Pi and free this up for other projects, possibly streaming or a Plex server, the Ethernet port will come in handy.

There is something new, in the customize area, when you select backup only the same -/+ Reserve for Power Outages comes up - it always defaulted to 100% before and now you can select a reserve. Initial stages of app changes for TOU?
When I select Backup Only, the reserve is set at 100% but cannot be adjusted. I have the latest Andrioid app version and my PW is running 1.12.0. I have solar.

Go into the wizard and check the internet connection(s) you might have. This page must be new to 1.12.0. Didn't know the gateway is equipped with cellular.

upload_2018-2-28_10-23-12.png

I will do that now, I've not had the PW2 long so presumed this was just a standard thing (didn't know any better).

I have checked the connection before and set it to a static IP etc, correct GW and subnet (I'm in IT networking these things I know are right) and it worked on the previous version as I had only just set it up for a static IP a week before. I'll let you know how I get on. Cheers

I switched on the Cellular access to see if this would help get it back online and now it is totally dead (no local access at all). Does anyone have access to the installer materials that would let me get access to it over Wifi and change the settings? I can see a network TEG-060 and I presume this is the PW2's local Wifi network. HELP :-(

I have v1.12 (just installed 3 days ago) and ever since then I the app cannot connect to it and via the local web interface it states unable to connect to Tesla, does anyone else have a similar experience?
something to remember, the web interface on a local ethernet is likely to have a static IP address, so when mine updated, it was reset to a new local IP address.

Ok, I am now back up and running and my problem is fixed!! Here is what I learned.

The Tesla broadcasts an SSID TEG-060, the password is the serial number of the unit.

Associating to the SSID you get a DHCP address of 192.168.91.x and the default GW is 192.168.91.1 (you guessed it, this is the PW2). So after sorting my Wifi problems (not close enough to get a good signal) I got connected and could then play around with the system. So switched of Cellular and tried Wifi, this didn't work (probably same issues I was having with distance / too many walls) to went back to DHCP (bear in mind I was on a static IP originally). This worked so jumped onto the new IP and logged in, at this point I re-started the PW2 (from the awake but not battery usage position) and it came online and the app worked. So reflecting on my issues with my static IP I went back in and configured it. Sure enough the static IP was pingable and everything looked good. Just for a laugh this time I did not set the 'optional' default gateway setting. Now being a network person we know that we always have to set this when a device wishes to get off the local network and access another - in this case connect to the Tesla NOC for the app to update. However it would appear that although I had set this in v1.11 and it worked fine there must be a bug in v1.12 so that when the gateway is set it doesn't work correctly and no Internet access is possible.

So long story short, it's all working now and v1.12 seems to have a bug with the default gateway setting on the static IP Ethernet connection page - just don't set it and it will be fine.

Back to enjoying free power :)

• Informative
Reactions: Kant.Ing