Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Glass Snow Avalanches

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure, you can build without gutters. It is part of many traditional architectures around the world. Many of them in high snow or high rainfall areas. I grew up in a house with no gutters, and I personally don't see the attraction, unless you are collecting rainwater. That said, gutters are a cheap solution to water management, which is why they are commonly used.

I think that the points that @wjgjr made are relevant and important. If you live in a home that was built with gutters and then decide to remove them, you are likely to have a host of problems, from water intrusion into lower levels in your house to flooding in your gardens to fungus & algae on your walls, and rot and termites in your walls because water is dripping / splashing / draining down walls that weren't designed for it. Gutterless design requires great drainage around the home, foundations built to handle the extra water, overhangs deep enough to keep water off of walls, or rain ejectors/diffusers to push the water farther out, and land that is sloped appropriately. Not simple. Whether it is cost effective depends on many variables. Most people are going to be stuck with a gutter design because the retrofit costs are more than most people would want to pay.

Adding solar roofs dramatically reduces the friction on a roof. That means more snow sliding off. Under the right conditions, sliding snow and ice have always ripped off gutters, it is just with a traditional roof, the friction is higher and snow more frequently tends to melt rather than sliding. So with a traditional roof it is less of problem. That is less, not zero. Under the right weather conditions, gutters get torn off all over because almost all gutters are lightweight bits of metal or plastic tacked onto fascia boards. By design! You don't want weather conditions ripping chunks of your roof off. I think that gutters and fascias are cheap compared to roofs.

There are a few homes that have designs that would permit removing gutters, but not many that I have seen in the US.

All the best,

BG

Reactions: jkeyser14
Sure, you can build without gutters. It is part of many traditional architectures around the world. Many of them in high snow or high rainfall areas. I grew up in a house with no gutters, and I personally don't see the attraction, unless you are collecting rainwater. That said, gutters are a cheap solution to water management, which is why they are commonly used.

I think that the points that @wjgjr made are relevant and important. If you live in a home that was built with gutters and then decide to remove them, you are likely to have a host of problems, from water intrusion into lower levels in your house to flooding in your gardens to fungus & algae on your walls, and rot and termites in your walls because water is dripping / splashing / draining down walls that weren't designed for it. Gutterless design requires great drainage around the home, foundations built to handle the extra water, overhangs deep enough to keep water off of walls, or rain ejectors/diffusers to push the water farther out, and land that is sloped appropriately. Not simple. Whether it is cost effective depends on many variables. Most people are going to be stuck with a gutter design because the retrofit costs are more than most people would want to pay.

Adding solar roofs dramatically reduces the friction on a roof. That means more snow sliding off. Under the right conditions, sliding snow and ice have always ripped off gutters, it is just with a traditional roof, the friction is higher and snow more frequently tends to melt rather than sliding. So with a traditional roof it is less of problem. That is less, not zero. Under the right weather conditions, gutters get torn off all over because almost all gutters are lightweight bits of metal or plastic tacked onto fascia boards. By design! You don't want weather conditions ripping chunks of your roof off. I think that gutters and fascias are cheap compared to roofs.

There are a few homes that have designs that would permit removing gutters, but not many that I have seen in the US.

All the best,

BG
Our 60 year old house

IMG_20210209_144010.jpg

Our new house
IMG_20210209_143951.jpg

We put crushed rock along the drip lines.
These roofs don't slide

So to a point earlier in this string, elektrek is now running an article saying how great it is that the roofs shed so they can go back to making power. Also, I heard from tesla and they have a product in testing. I think by next winter it may be an install option, will see how it works for retrofits. Of course, per the elektrek piece, you may not want to. I will say, my neighbor saw this latest shed (2 inches of ice) and was very alarmed at the sight and the sound. But, it was my largest producing day ever today, so there is that!

So to a point earlier in this string, elektrek is now running an article saying how great it is that the roofs shed so they can go back to making power. Also, I heard from tesla and they have a product in testing. I think by next winter it may be an install option, will see how it works for retrofits. Of course, per the elektrek piece, you may not want to. I will say, my neighbor saw this latest shed (2 inches of ice) and was very alarmed at the sight and the sound. But, it was my largest producing day ever today, so there is that!
For us, it was quite the sound too. Interestingly, unlike some past events this winter, our roof was one of the last to shed - I think the wet snow and sleet seem to potentially stick more on this roof versus plain snow.

I have to do something about the snow avalanches, not now but at least over the summer or else I will break my home.

I will keep on looking for ideas.
Tesla is definitely working on it. If you do not want to wait, the folks at sno-safe.com have a product that adheres to the inactive tiles and they are great to deal with. If you send them your layout they will provide a guide as to where to put their guards.

Just had the front roof go. Definitely not ideal as it dumps a ton of slushy snow over a small area, potentially damaging plants in the area and leaving a 6" pile of heavy snow/slush on our front porch (glad the mailman wasn't passing by at the time.) No visible damage to the gutters at this point, and hard to tell how much impact they took versus it just flying off.
well, look on the bright side.... at least you don't have airplane parts falling in your yard :eek::D

SOLAR ROOF AVALANCH PROBLEM:
For those of you mourning the loss of your now horribly overpriced Solar Roof (like me), this tidbit may console you. I live in Pennsylvania. A neighbor of mine had solar roof v3 installed over the winter. I won't get into the details of the install but suffice it to say, it did NOT go smoothly (roofers damaged the siding of the house-another contractor had to come conduct repairs). Anyhow, one BIG problem with Solar Roof has been SNOW. We had several substantial storms in the Northeast this year. The snow has been sliding off the roof in avalanches, damaging the landscaping below and posing a significant threat to anyone unlucky enough to be near the roof edge when this happens. Also, it apparently sounds like an earthquake inside the house when such an avalanche occurs. All kidding aside, these snow avalanches pose a real danger to people and Tesla does NOT have any solution at present.

So those of you living in the snowy regions of the country are probably BETTER OFF without Solar Roof unless Tesla can solve this problem.

SOLAR ROOF AVALANCH PROBLEM:
For those of you mourning the loss of your now horribly overpriced Solar Roof (like me), this tidbit may console you. I live in Pennsylvania. A neighbor of mine had solar roof v3 installed over the winter. I won't get into the details of the install but suffice it to say, it did NOT go smoothly (roofers damaged the siding of the house-another contractor had to come conduct repairs). Anyhow, one BIG problem with Solar Roof has been SNOW. We had several substantial storms in the Northeast this year. The snow has been sliding off the roof in avalanches, damaging the landscaping below and posing a significant threat to anyone unlucky enough to be near the roof edge when this happens. Also, it apparently sounds like an earthquake inside the house when such an avalanche occurs. All kidding aside, these snow avalanches pose a real danger to people and Tesla does NOT have any solution at present.

So those of you living in the snowy regions of the country are probably BETTER OFF without Solar Roof unless Tesla can solve this problem.
It is definitely an issue to be aware of. But to not get too off topic, there is a thread discussing this:

Tesla is apparently working on snow guards, and there are third-party options as well.

..., there is a thread discussing this:

You're such an active poster... you posted a link to the same thread we are in! :p
I recall there is another thread where Tesla offered to install snow guards already. Seems like a trade off. You can keep the snow on and give up production, or clear fast and get back to generating.

edit:
Yeah, check out this post: Tesla Solar Panel Snow Guard . But for panels, not solar roof. So someone at Tesla or a subcontractor knows how to do this back in 2020.

Reactions: trautmane2
You're such an active poster... you posted a link to the same thread we are in! :p
I recall there is another thread where Tesla offered to install snow guards already. Seems like a trade off. You can keep the snow on and give up production, or clear fast and get back to generating.

edit:
Yeah, check out this post: Tesla Solar Panel Snow Guard . But for panels, not solar roof. So someone at Tesla or a subcontractor knows how to do this back in 2020.
I'll blame @jjrandorin (or another mod) for creating a circular loop and nearly destroying the universe by moving my response and the prior post from another thread. :)

The panel guard is interesting, but I imagine it might be a bit different from what they settle on for the roof. However, we will see.

I'll blame @jjrandorin (or another mod) for creating a circular loop and nearly destroying the universe by moving my response and the prior post from another thread. :)
Eye_of_sauron.jpg

(lol). .. (above is one of the images related to the "eye of sauron" for those who may not be familiar with this particular part of geekdom)

I didnt move it recently, but certainly could have at some previous point a while ago.

Just want to point out that snow avalanches are not unique to Tesla solar roof, all solar panels provide a slippery surface that snow slides off of.

Should all installers including Tesla mention this in the planning phases, yes. Do any installers mention this in the planning phases, no.

Spoken as someone who has conventional solar panels that dump avalanches of snow on to the walkway up to our front door...

I have been saying since day 1 that Tesla needs snow guards. The sliding snow and ice will rip off gutters, damage landscaping, and can seriously harm or kill people. Every standing seam metal roof in the northeast has snow guards for this reason. A 400lb sheet of sliding ice falling 2 stories can break someone's neck/back or bust open a skull. Anybody who has heard ice slide of the roof will understand how much energy is there just listening to it.

Reactions: garcianc
I have been saying since day 1 that Tesla needs snow guards. The sliding snow and ice will rip off gutters, damage landscaping, and can seriously harm or kill people. Every standing seam metal roof in the northeast has snow guards for this reason. A 400lb sheet of sliding ice falling 2 stories can break someone's neck/back or bust open a skull. Anybody who has heard ice slide of the roof will understand how much energy is there just listening to it.
Snow or ice on a roof? You guys are crazy living in these places.;)

I just came to the forum to research this topic and yikes! Apparently, this has been well discussed.
After about 12 inches of snow on my roof this week I experienced my first series of snow avalanches, and from a height of about 25'. Scary...
If anyone in the Southern Maryland area can recommend a vendor with a good solution, please let me know. I would greatly appreciate it.

Tesla now has some sort of snow mitigation available. I am waiting for them to schedule the work on my panels in IL.
I called Tesla today and they told me that they do not have anything, but referred me to American Home Contractors, a local Tesla-approved Solar Roof installer. However, American Home Contractors also told me that they do not have a solution.
So, if you can share any details, I would greatly appreciate it.