Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Glass V3 + 2 PW ordered May 2, 2020

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Out of curiosity, what caused the tile to break?
My gutter installers broke it with their ladder - the glass is very strong on the main surface plane, but if you bang it just right on an edge you can easily crack it. Apparently, it is common for the crew to break a tile or two if they are not careful when dragging their tether clips across the roof during install.

In case you are interested, there is more discussion of the break and the subsequent repair process in this thread:

You've definitely been patient! I ordered in July 2020 and got PTO in late December 2020, but knew it was going to be a long process.

Reactions: gigawatt1010
My gutter installers broke it with their ladder - the glass is very strong on the main surface plane, but if you bang it just right on an edge you can easily crack it. Apparently, it is common for the crew to break a tile or two if they are not careful when dragging their tether clips across the roof during install.

In case you are interested, there is more discussion of the break and the subsequent repair process in this thread:

You've definitely been patient! I ordered in July 2020 and got PTO in late December 2020, but knew it was going to be a long process.
Ordered in Oct 2019, Install Mar-April, PTO August 2020. Patience is required.

Reactions: gigawatt1010
Thanks @trautmane2. Definitely looking forward to my install.

@jboy210 - I actually refer to your install docs every once in a while, whenever I'm about to loose hope and about to cancel, I watch YouTube videos of Solar Glass V3 and refer to your documents to convince myself to stay the course. Not quite there yet, and if the schedule remains intact, it would be 1 year and 3 days from the date ordered to the first day of Solar Glass install. I can only imagine how long it would take for PTO, but one step at a time I guess.

Reactions: jboy210
Update 4/18

After waiting almost 1 year from the date of order (May 2, 2020), Tesla completed the 1st week of install. Tear down started Monday, 4/12 immediately followed by the underlayment.

Solar Glass scheduled to get installed tomorrow, 4/19. I’m hoping everything will be done on or before the end of this month.

3 Powerwalls and Gateway2 were installed the week of 4/5 and took just one full day to install.

I’ll update this thread as progress continue. Can’t wait.

4801CB27-B01F-4DF1-BEA3-C0936E1B87C8.jpeg

2A15AA70-7A20-4617-96B9-F00B51EB5EFE.jpeg

785D9D81-8B2B-43F1-9F9C-4426F78C8A88.jpeg

82539D34-0B21-4A98-8B43-E844AB3EF03A.jpeg

2CA657CE-38C3-4A8F-A0B4-59D00EFE5E66.jpeg

8ABF0E89-5280-4BD8-8C1A-0A50325FB37C.jpeg

07D2DB35-9EFB-4EF2-9C30-09D1C88EC6DA.jpeg

377DC907-D07A-47E2-9C69-A3FFCF6536C2.jpeg

Thanks guys! One of the things that encouraged us with solar, we don’t have any trees that can cast any shade where we are. The left side of that mountain ridge in the background is West Point.

@jboy210 - haha, I bet the X can tow it without breaking a sweat. LOL
Good to know. BTW, I always assumed the Orange County in your signature was in Southern California. The picture definitely not from SoCal! So I noticed it is NY. I was only 3,000 miles off.

@jboy210 and @trautmane2 - LOL, you guys are not that far off! We get that a lot in OCNY. I guess Orange County in SoCal is far more popular. The funny thing is, my sister and her family lives in Irvine in SoCal (OC) and my oldest son lives in Orlando (another OC). So I think we have all the Orange Counties covered.

Also, they picked up the dumpster this morning and the actual Solar Glass V3 is delivered and now sitting in my driveway.

Question for you guys on gutters, Tesla is recommending we get the 6" wide gutters, do the downspout have to be replaced or can they just reuse them?

Question for you guys on gutters, Tesla is recommending we get the 6" wide gutters, do the downspout have to be replaced or can they just reuse them?

I think the downspouts need to be proportional to the gutter size so that they can handle larger water volumes. I replaced my gutters with 6'' gutters and 3x4'' downspouts. I think @jboy210 went with smaller gutters, but he does not get as much rain as we do.

I posted details about my gutter install here:
Solar Roof Gutter Replacement

I think the downspouts need to be proportional to the gutter size so that they can handle larger water volumes. I replaced my gutters with 6'' gutters and 3x4'' downspouts. I think @jboy210 went with smaller gutters, but he does not get as much rain as we do.

I posted details about my gutter install here:
Solar Roof Gutter Replacement
Correct on the smaller gutters. We are in an ongoing drought cycle and this year are at 45% of normal rainfall. If I lived on the East Coast I would go with the wider gutters.

UPDATE: As of yesterday, April 28, my roof is completely done - just 3 days shy of one year from my order date of May 2, 2020. Electrician was one of the last pieces to this puzzle, installing the 2 Tesla Inverters yesterday. Surprisingly, my inspection was done the very next day (this morning). So now I'm only officially waiting for the utility company to give me PTO.

It's raining and crappy all day today but I see that solar was producing as much as 5kW. Is that normal? I would've thought it will barely produce anything since it's raining and the sun hasn't been out the whole day.

When the sun clears up a bit I'll fly the drone and get some more pics. Also, my 6" gutters are getting installed this Saturday.

Reactions: willow_hiller
So I just got home and wife and I started observing the roof install. We noticed on the overhang above our garage that it looks wavy. I think it’s the metal trim piece but we also think some of the tiles are not seated plush. Do you guys have something like this on your installs?

5347009B-DE5B-447E-9208-4676A8A523DA.jpeg

CF9419B5-7A83-426E-B021-7340507B61E0.jpeg

Also, there are a few areas where I don’t think the glass tiles are properly snapped on.

F88C8803-0A95-4CF5-A683-B08EC67F90B9.jpeg

I wasn’t too confident with the 2nd crew that did our tiles. The tear down/underlayment crew were awesome and efficient but the 2nd crew that laid the glass tiles didn’t give me the same impression.

I will definitely point them out to the PM, who said he’ll come by to do a walk around with us. Just wondering if you guys had this type of issue with your installs