Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panel Frame Reflection - HOA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just received a letter from the HOA that one of the home owners is in much "discomfort" because of the glare from my solar panel frame. Does anyone have suggestion on how to remedy this?

Matte black paint? Can they just be removed? Will Tesla help?
Capture.PNG

Just received a letter from the HOA that one of the home owners is in much "discomfort" because of the glare from my solar panel frame. Does anyone have suggestion on how to remedy this?

Matte black paint? Can they just be removed? Will Tesla help?
That seems strange as my Tesla install only had a skirt on the downward edge, and it is black, with nothing on the side. If you have something there that is bare aluminum then painting it with a black spray paint meant for metal should fix the issue. Your neighbor is a bit of pill for complaining about this as it likely only lasts for about 15 minutes a day when the angle is just right.

I would ask that neighbor to point out which section is reflecting so you paint the correct section on the first trip up, or actually the 2nd as I would also prime it first them the final coat. Is this a new installation? I ask because at other times of the year, other sections may reflect into his house.
I am also wondering if someone's window may also be reflection into his location.

Matte black paint? Can they just be removed? Will Tesla help?View attachment 845503

Matte paint would be an easy solution but how long will it last? I doubt Tesla will do it for you. If you know a local PPF shop, maybe just get a strip of matte PPF and lay it over top of the trim, that will last a pretty long time.

Legally, unless it affects safety the HOA cannot make you change it but they can make life a pain for you so I suggest doing something.

I'll bet someone with a cutoff wheel could remove that quite quickly, but only Tesla (or other installers with Zep tools) will be easily able to remove it without cutting or damage.

FYI: "PPF", aka paint protection film, often used along the front edge of a hood, or above the running boards to prevent damage from road debris, e.g. loose stones. It has the advantage of being tougher than paint as it is thicker, and is designed to take full sun day in and day out.

All the best,

BG

Reactions: Vines