Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panel Option

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My take on the panels is just to handle phantom loss. My truck will sit out side it's whole life. The fact that I will charge it when I need it and the rest of the time it will not be plugged in. Dealing with the phantom loss then is a none issue.

Reactions: Blup85
OK, I'll say it, I want it so I can say I'm ready for the apocalypse. For practicality, I would also like a connection for added panels, for camping... and of course for the apocalypse. If I can get another taunau cover that goes the opposite direction over the roof to the frunk, (batmobile option), then I would pay a whole lot more... Gee's an apocalyptic Batmobile, that you could drive with camera's only. To complete the package, dual power windows controllers to raise and lower the solar panals, over the side windows. Now that is Mad Max security!

Last edited:
I'd almost prefer an MC4 style connector in the bed of the truck. That way, you can hook up an array of your own, either a solar suitcase style or a set of flexible panels that you stow in the bed. I get that it doesn't help for "driving around town" type charging, but for me the benefit to having solar is when I'm out camping. Limiting vampire drain and potentially adding some miles sounds great. If 15 miles a day is possible with the size of the truck, 20-30 should be doable with a larger external array that can face the sun. A week long camping trip could yield a couple hundred miles.. not bad!

subbing the solar folding array with the cybertruck to recharge battery operated tools ( lights, chainsaws, tools, water pumps, etc.) you could live very comfortably in a national forest from california, to maine, to florida, to alaska, Super charger to supercharger. As a retired single man with an ICE HD full size pick has , I can only immagine how much better it will be when i get my cybertruck. Have fun Boys and girls, Just think about staying alive and well ?

Reactions: TK16688
A quantitative analysis of the Cybertruck with solar panels.

Nice video explanation. After factoring in my commute, and the 15 miles per day for solar roof, i would only save about $123 a year. So if the solar roof option was very cheap, then i'd definitely get it, let's say under $1000, and figuring i keep the vehicle for 10 years. But any more than that, and it's not going to give me a return on my investment.

Reactions: Albern
If you were really committed to long term off grid off road travel, I imagine you could create some type of solution similar to the link below. I'd imagine a roll out stacked double panel array, sitting in the bed or in a slanted roof rack of sorts. Won't get the type of power as the rv, but could get enough to limp along moving campsites every few days.

Would love to see a project like this take shape, even tho it won't make sense for 99.999999999% of CT owners. Would be cool to see the 1 person that makes it happen.

E-Stars – Solarrolla

subbing the solar folding array with the cybertruck to recharge battery operated tools ( lights, chainsaws, tools, water pumps, etc.) you could live very comfortably in a national forest from california, to maine, to florida, to alaska, Super charger to supercharger. As a retired single man with an ICE HD full size pick has , I can only immagine how much better it will be when i get my cybertruck. Have fun Boys and girls, Just think about staying alive and well ?
There are no superchargers in Alaska. I have a off grid solar set up on my cabin and a hybrid system on my home, and a basic system on my camper.

To “run the basics” on my camper I have 885w (295 x3) of solar, it covers ~56 ft^2. I made a moveable frame to optimize sun exposure. That is what it takes for me to be electricity neutral camping for at least a week and no need to run my generator unless get days of rain, during the peak 3 months of summer when I get 18+ hours of sun exposure. And with all LED lights, a propane: fridge, heat, cooking and hot water, and little other electronics. Initially I had a 590w system and couldn’t cover my power unless it was perfect and sunny every day so I added another panel. I’m not charging electronic tools, tablets, or smart phones. As I have a gas chainsaw and confiscate phones/tablets from all when we camp. Since most places we go don’t have cell coverage We use inReach’s and charge them off small individual panels and that works well. I’ll also add my panels weight about 40 lbs each.

I have a 2.6 kw (9 panels, 240 inverter) solar system on my cabin on a manual adjustable head unit. I have charged our LR AWD model 3 off of it and the best I’ve ever done is 18 miles range in one day, usually get only 12-14 a day. Given the CT will almost certainly operate at much higher than the model 3 rated 250wh/mi, I’m betting I’d be lucky to get 10 mile a day off my 2.6kw system, and that is almost 170 ft^2 of solar panels.

If you were really committed to long term off grid off road travel, I imagine you could create some type of solution similar to the link below. I'd imagine a roll out stacked double panel array, sitting in the bed or in a slanted roof rack of sorts. Won't get the type of power as the rv, but could get enough to limp along moving campsites every few days.

Would love to see a project like this take shape, even tho it won't make sense for 99.999999999% of CT owners. Would be cool to see the 1 person that makes it happen.

E-Stars – Solarrolla
Not sure I believe their math. 6kw solar fixed mounted on the roof most likely they will only get 3.5-4x per day. Absolute best case scenario 5x. So based on 5x to get 100 miles that van would have to get 300wh/mi and I find that very unlikely. Also to get 5x that is only realistic in the USA in the SW high desert. I would bet more like 50 miles a day max realistically.

ASK ELON " ? super chargers + cybertrucks in Alaska, United States ?
They have shown one in Anchorage as “coming soon” for at least 3 years. Anchorage doesn’t make much sense though. First should be Talkeetna junction or cantwell. After that: homer, soldotona, Seward, Mat-su, Fairbanks, glennallen, Valdez, Delta, and Tok all make more sense to happen before Anchorage. Like I’ve said I’ve had a Tesla (S then 3) up here almost 6 years and not having supercharging hasn’t limited me at all. Now to tow a camper with the CT at least the above locations need to happen.

Reactions: Hank42