Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow. Samsung now have a heatpump that can do 70 degrees at a COP of 5! Stunning:

My reading was you can have 70c output or a COP of 5 but not both at same time. But with a load compensating thermostats setting the flow temperature it could give a system that works well on most days while still being able to quickly heat the building on a very cold day.

We still have daily battles about switching the oven on to "warm up" long before it's needed and forgetting to switch it off

Air Fryer ? If its just small quantities of food, for one or two people (at a sitting), I've found that its both much faster and uses less energy. Mine doesn't need a pre-heat at all. I also use it, on the re-heat cycle, to warm things that I would have previously done in the microwave ... it does a much better job of "warming through"

Apart from some Roasty Veg, or freezer-to-table stuff, which I find it does really well, a recent 1kg-ish chunk of Pork shoulder was done in half the time it would have taken in the oven (my Air Fryer has a probe, just push it in and choose the type of meat and Rare...Well done

I thought I was the last person on earth to get one of these, so sorry to those of you in the choir stalls that I'm preaching to :)

Last edited:
Air Fryer ? If its just small quantities of food, for one or two people (at a sitting), I've found that its both much faster and uses less energy. Mine doesn't need a pre-heat at all. I also use it, on the re-heat cycle, to warm things that I would have previously done in the microwave ... it does a much better job of "warming through"

Apart from some Roasty Veg, or freezer-to-table stuff, which I find it does really well, a recent 1kg-ish chunk of Pork shoulder was done in half the time it would have taken in the oven (my Air Fryer has a probe, just push it in and choose the type of meat and Rare...Well done

I thought I was the last person on earth to get one of these, so sorry to those of you in the choir stalls that I'm preaching to :)
Nope you're not last, we don't have one. I'll do a HUUUUGE shoulder of pork on the BBQ though, low and slow and then pull the meat and vacuum pack in portions. Then it's just a case of a quick microwave or steam reheat. Pressure cooker for veg.
Now how to find the Tesla forum link? Oh yeah, we go to the butchers in the Tesla and put the meat in the subtrunk fridge.

Reactions: WannabeOwner

We just got one last weekend. Still getting to grips with what can be done with it but we did chips (home made) in about 25 minutes start to finish and they were great.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
what is everyone's personal rules for battery charge settings vs estimated solar? eg here is my PV-GIS estimate of my average daily generation across the year

View attachment 973182

colour coding added by me as a rough estimate - red I'd probably charge to 100% and any solar is a bonus needing me to top up less at night (if I can make it to end of day); amber was thinking to charge to 50% but I might increase a bit? Green I should be ok with like 25% and use the solar to charge up during the day?

only had mine installed since May so hitting the first lower months now

Mine is very similar to that.

I guess I’ve got about another 3-4 weeks before my 15p IO export is sorted, then it’ll just be 100% overnight all the time.

Well, judging by your earlier comments about Mrs C. McC extravagant use of Oven I expect your Air Fryer has paid for itself already!
My daughter is an aspiring chef so she often will "pop the oven on". The givenergy app has become my new thermostat

Attachments

• thermostat-family.gif
    thermostat-family.gif
    845.7 KB · Views: 42
ok, I will try again:

Are there anyone with Growatt inverter who has successfully set up automation in Home Assistant?

I have Intelligent octopus integration running. I also have additional third-party Growatt integration via HACS up and running which allows me to control the inverter settings (i.e. swith to battery first). Official Growatt integration just monitors...

Some advice on how to make growatt automation is needed...

thanks in advance.

U-oh. Have cancelled my export move for now on the back of this. May just be confusion in contact centers while things get set up, but will wait a week or 2...

View attachment 972013
Just to update, spoke to them today as my whole account is going mad.

Export transfer hasn't been cancelled, MPAN has moved, 15p export confirmed fully compatible with IO. Also mixed up in a dispute with my old provider about transfer readings which is making my account read pretty weird and stopping me getting my hourly readings, maybe. Internal escalation now in progress, but looks like 15p export is still on \o/.

Export transfer hasn't been cancelled, MPAN has moved, 15p export confirmed fully compatible with IO. Also mixed up in a dispute with my old provider about transfer readings which is making my account read pretty weird and stopping me getting my hourly readings, maybe. Internal escalation now in progress, but looks like 15p export is still on \o/.
A mess with two energy suppliers? All I can say is “good luck”. Sounds like you’ll need it!
(Also, keep everything documented as it will make it easier to argue your case with the Ombudsman).

• Funny
Reactions: Avendit

Hi,
Are you seeing the 15p export rate in the Octopus app already or still 4p?
Just wondering how long it takes to show up (become active) on the new rate?
My tariff shows “Octopus Outgoing smart export guarantee….4.1p”. Although it did say 31p for a couple of days (which I was hoping would stay 😂)
(My export was set up on Friday and I sent the meter reading photo yesterday.)

Hi,
Are you seeing the 15p export rate in the Octopus app already or still 4p?
Just wondering how long it takes to show up (become active) on the new rate?
My tariff shows “Octopus Outgoing smart export guarantee….4.1p”. Although it did say 31p for a couple of days (which I was hoping would stay 😂)
(My export was set up on Friday and I sent the meter reading photo yesterday.)

Yes, was showing in the app later that day after the phone rep sent something to the smart meter team. I did my opening read over the phone with the rep I was talking to.

Have subsequently realised that a profitable export rate breaks (in a good way) all my spreadsheets. They very much assume maxing out self usage to the extent I didn't do any calcs for export. Guess I'll bin all that. I do wonder what it could do for ROI.

Yes, was showing in the app later that day after the phone rep sent something to the smart meter team. I did my opening read over the phone with the rep I was talking to.

Have subsequently realised that a profitable export rate breaks (in a good way) all my spreadsheets. They very much assume maxing out self usage to the extent I didn't do any calcs for export. Guess I'll bin all that. I do wonder what it could do for ROI.
Thanks for that. I’ve been emailing. So maybe takes a bit longer…. And it was over the weekend.
Yep. Calcs out the window…
Basically all your generation (or a large portion of it) can now go out at 15p.
Any of the 100% solar battery imported in the IO off peak window that is spare can be discharged in the evening as well. (Maybe not so much in winter though!)

That’s as far as I’ve got so far. Maybe it’s that simple. Maybe there could be a bit more to it?
But I can’t see it if there is.

Thanks for that. I’ve been emailing. So maybe takes a bit longer…. And it was over the weekend.
Yep. Calcs out the window…
Basically all your generation (or a large portion of it) can now go out at 15p.
Any of the 100% solar battery imported in the IO off peak window that is spare can be discharged in the evening as well. (Maybe not so much in winter though!)

That’s as far as I’ve got so far. Maybe it’s that simple. Maybe there could be a bit more to it?
But I can’t see it if there is.
Phone them 100% more helpful I found.

Reactions: yessuz
Phone them 100% more helpful I found.
Ok,

So I phoned Octopus and the guy initially said no and then went off to double check then came back 10 mins later and said that:

“The 15p export rate isn’t available to intelligent Octopus customers - I’ve tripple checked. sorry”

So where to go from here?
He said it isn’t available with any other smart products. I told him that it was announced on the news and all over the internet and I know people that are on both but he just disagreed.

I’m confused and a bit perplexed.

You guys are definitely all set up on both Intelligent Octopus incoming and the 15p export rate, correct?

What is the actual name of the outgoing 15p tariff and could you post a screenshot?
Mine says “Octopus Outgoing smart export guarantee 4.1p” - does yours show the same name with 15p - or does it show some other tariff?

Also I got this email this morning, asking which tariff I am referring to. Any ideas?

“Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I apologize for any confusion caused.

I can see that you are currently on the Octopus Outgoing Smart Export Guarantee tariff, which has a rate of 4.10p/kWh. The 15p/kWh export rate you mentioned please advise which tariff you are referring to.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please let me know and I'll be happy to assist you.

Kind regards,“

IMG_7610.jpeg