Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know how you can switch supplier for the Smart Export Guarantee scheme (SEG)?
I'm currently using Octopus for electricity on IO and their SEG scheme, but they only pay 4p/kWh for SEG export. Scottish Power are offering 12p/kWh so I'd like to switch the SEG to them, but keep the electricity supply with Octopus on IO.

I thought it'd just be a case of applying on the Scottish Power SEG site Gas and Electricity Company | ScottishPower but one of the eligibility conditions is 'You must not be receiving SEG payments from another supplier'.

Just wondering whether anyone has done a similar thing and how it worked, before I start to email Scottish Power customer support?

Reactions: duncans
Does anyone know how you can switch supplier for the Smart Export Guarantee scheme (SEG)?
I'm currently using Octopus for electricity on IO and their SEG scheme, but they only pay 4p/kWh for SEG export. Scottish Power are offering 12p/kWh so I'd like to switch the SEG to them, but keep the electricity supply with Octopus on IO.

I thought it'd just be a case of applying on the Scottish Power SEG site Gas and Electricity Company | ScottishPower but one of the eligibility conditions is 'You must not be receiving SEG payments from another supplier'.

Just wondering whether anyone has done a similar thing and how it worked, before I start to email Scottish Power customer support?
did you check this opoe?

guy coming round Monday, fingers crossed install on Thursday (they had someone change their install date). If I haven’t had the G99 from Eon by then (and they can’t confirm directly with the DNO) then I guess it may end up not being switched on yet? Although maybe they can enable the battery for my other solar array as that woudln’t impact the export potential

installer turned up today to have a quick check wehre things needed to go and roughly measure up. Dropped off the solar inverter as he had it in the van already. Makes it feel a bit more real.

Scaffolding Thursday morning, along wiht some electrics - panels likely not until Friday depending if they come in Weds afternoon or Thurs afternoon. Didn’t check on the battery/inverter - would be good if that can go in Thursday along with the other electrics leaving just the panels to do, but will wait and see. If they can run all wiring to the sub-board and up into the loft/out to the side passage then hook-ups on Friday shoudl be fairly quick?

Need to ask about CT clamps but hopefully they should all still be in the main CU cupboard so can be integrated into the Myenergi setup (and maybe the givenergy one can also see the same?) will I need two CT clamps - one for each system?

If they can run all wiring to the sub-board and up into the loft/out to the side passage then hook-ups on Friday shoudl be fairly quick?
When I had this done, they did a very similar run. They didn't install the batteries (still waiting), but the solar, those cables and a zappi install took 3 days.

The first day was 3 on the roof doing the panels, and two inside runnings the cables.
The second day was an electrician finishing wiring everything up for the solar.
The third day was an electrician installing and wiring the zappi.

HTH

Reactions: Mrklaw

Have you looked at Octopus Flux for export? 22p daytime rising to almost 34p 1600 to 1900.

Reactions: ringi

We've just applied to switch our SEG to Scottish Power (from So Energy, who are utterly unresponsive/incompetent) all done online, with final approval to come within the next few weeks.

The 12p/kWh export rate is going to change the economics of our situation. It will now be cheaper to fully charge the Powerwall overnight at 7.5p/kWh to maximise solar export the next day. Not only that, it'll also be cheaper to charge our cars/heat water overnight rather than using excess solar.

Their rate is, supposedly, "variable" so I don't expect the above situation to last long if energy prices continue to drop.

We've just applied to switch our SEG to Scottish Power (from So Energy, who are utterly unresponsive/incompetent) all done online, with final approval to come within the next few weeks.

The 12p/kWh export rate is going to change the economics of our situation. It will now be cheaper to fully charge the Powerwall overnight at 7.5p/kWh to maximise solar export the next day. Not only that, it'll also be cheaper to charge our cars/heat water overnight rather than using excess solar.

Their rate is, supposedly, "variable" so I don't expect the above situation to last long if energy prices continue to drop.
isn't this the case with SP:

• As part of the application you must supply installer certification that states the generation circuit being measured by the export meter is unrelated to the battery storage, to ensure no payment is issued for that type of energy
?

isn't this the case with SP:

• As part of the application you must supply installer certification that states the generation circuit being measured by the export meter is unrelated to the battery storage, to ensure no payment is issued for that type of energy
?
We're good - our Powerwall is not permitted to export, per DNO edict, and we have paperwork which says so.

• Informative
Reactions: PITA and yessuz
We're good - our Powerwall is not permitted to export, per DNO edict, and we have paperwork which says so.
can you come back and let us know if they do accept you?

I’ve emailed with no response, have gone with BG as a result. 6.4p/kWh. I hear they all don’t actually want “brown” power just some seem to be more militant about it. I am wondering if o had just submitted to SP, and not mentioned it, if I would have got away from it.

Mind you I am DNO approved for 3kw solar and 5kw battery, even though my PW won’t export anyway, so wouldn’t be able to show them a DNO no export rule.

Mind you hear Scottish are a shower support wise on the import side, so that doesn’t bode well.

Reactions: scdoubleu
Jus as a heads up. I just had a very convincing phone call today from a company who said they'd taken over my solar panel annual maintenance. They said they'd come and check the panels and perform maintenance if neccessary, check all the voltages were correct etc. I asked them how they'd got my details and the reply was from the previous company.. they mentioned DNO and MCS and I almost fell for this, as we've just had some new panels and waiting for the DNO letter.. but when they made the engineers appointment they insisted both my wife and myself be present it finally clicked.. its a scam or sales call. We've recently switched away from BT so no call minder.. that was very successful at defeating the spam/scam calls.

• Informative
Reactions: ACarneiro
Jus as a heads up. I just had a very convincing phone call today from a company who said they'd taken over my solar panel annual maintenance. They said they'd come and check the panels and perform maintenance if neccessary, check all the voltages were correct etc. I asked them how they'd got my details and the reply was from the previous company.. they mentioned DNO and MCS and I almost fell for this, as we've just had some new panels and waiting for the DNO letter.. but when they made the engineers appointment they insisted both my wife and myself be present it finally clicked.. its a scam or sales call. We've recently switched away from BT so no call minder.. that was very successful at defeating the spam/scam calls.
Be careful. I've had multiple calls like this and told them to f*** o**.

I suspect they will manufacture a defect and then say your installation is dangerous and charge you a lot to fix, else what is in it for them?

My advice is turn them away, but if you let them in watch what they do with their hands.

Just turn them away.

guys are here and scaffolding is late. Some fussing about how to get the cable out from the meter cupboard - need some trunking internally and they think they won't get to that until Tuesday. Should have talked to him about timing before now I guess - hopefully the scaffolding is down before then and its just final wiring up, but I took Friday off for the long weekend so its good I'll still have electricity but that means possibly electrics off and disruption to my office room on Tuesday when I'm supposed to be working.

Ah well

My system got fitted by Octopus Energy Services last week, and is now fully operational. 3.95kWp, single plane, GivEnergy 3.6kw Gen 2 hybrid and 9.5kWh LFP battery.

Decent level of service, they seemed to be keep to learn from any small slipups (Scaffolders are a law onto themselves), very quick to get the install rolling. Prices are competitive vs what people seem to actually pay, uncompetitive vs the "draw them in prices" on the adverts, but no corners cut (Eg SPDs in the CU, bird netting, all done as standard).
Installers did a nice neat job. The GivEnergy Gen2 inverters are a little finicky and seem to have a few outstanding issues which are waiting on firmware upgrades. (Silly things like they charge between 00:30 and 04:30 on Go rates, but once it tops up, it switches back to powering the house off the battery, then (shock of shocks) the battery level drops below the target and it starts charging again).,

Would recommend octopus as long as you're after a standard install. They only work with one set of vendors, so if you want anything fancy or specific, you'll need to go elsewhere. (No solaredge or powerwalls)

rained on the installers this afternoon - main guy left the little ones on the job poor things. Battery is up on the wall but the inverter isn't - goop in the plugs not dry yet apparantly. So thats sitting next to me in the spare room until tomorrow. Giving them a nudge to get the drilling through into the CU cupboard tomorrow as its more convenient for me than Tuesday but lets see. Would much prefer Tuesday is left as a 'drop sub board in and connect up and we're done'. Or even better get the battery hooked up fully tomorrow so it can be commissioned and charged up over the weekend and solar next week so any snags can be resolved more quickly.