Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Panels UK - is it worth it?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the main thing which would potentially change the equation is switching gas boiler to heatpump. But if the extra battery is only really needed for 3 months of the year, it probably won't pay back.

There is a natural tendency to think "Wouldn't it be great if I'd gone with more" when you do run out of batteries. You don't tend to go back to the spreadsheets and work out the cost benefit.

Reactions: ringi
Unfortunately our gas boiler came to the end of it's life recently and I don't have time before the colder months to prepare for a heat pump. Replacement combi being fitted next week so I won't have to factor a heat pump in to the equation for the foreseeable future.

Just waiting on the Solaredge/Powerwall quote following a good visit from the fitter yesterday. He said I could fit another 3 panels on the lower small pitched roof we have at the front of the house which I hadn't even considered so that would bring it up to 19 panels in total. Although wifey isn't too keen on that idea as they would be more in your face.

Also waiting for Octopus to reply regarding when they might be offering the Givenergy All-in-one battery, although I'm not holding my breath on that one. There is another recommended local installer who fit Givenergy so I'll see if they offer the All-in-one and get a quote from them to compare with the PW2 quote.

A 13.5kWh battery would make more sense for me than a 9.5 and 2 x 9.5 are probably too much and as mentioned above I'm unlikely to break even on that within the warranty period.

Seems like there are plenty of pros and cons for both Givenergy and Powerwall. The Solaredge inverter that would be fitted with the PW2 sounds decent and the warranty on that can be extended to 25 years for not a lot of money.

Lots to consider!

No, I haven’t. Everyone said it’d just be a quick email or a phone call !

I’ll wait for their reply and try your link if I get no joy. Thanks.

So you switched straight from the “Octopus Outgoing SEG - 4.1p” to “Outgoing Octopus -15p” using that link then? Whilst already on Intelligent Octopus? Just to clarify.

I’ve already supplied my MCS details. But if no joy I’ll try using the online links. Thanks again.
So bizarre, they are giving me grief. 😂

It’s like the classic “Computer says NO” sketch.
Sigh I've got a battery only setup and no MCS (installer only does MCS Certificates for Solar). Getting outgoing rate is going to be a challenge even with the DNO approval

Unfortunately our gas boiler came to the end of it's life recently and I don't have time before the colder months to prepare for a heat pump. Replacement combi being fitted next week so I won't have to factor a heat pump in to the equation for the foreseeable future.

Just waiting on the Solaredge/Powerwall quote following a good visit from the fitter yesterday. He said I could fit another 3 panels on the lower small pitched roof we have at the front of the house which I hadn't even considered so that would bring it up to 19 panels in total. Although wifey isn't too keen on that idea as they would be more in your face.

Also waiting for Octopus to reply regarding when they might be offering the Givenergy All-in-one battery, although I'm not holding my breath on that one. There is another recommended local installer who fit Givenergy so I'll see if they offer the All-in-one and get a quote from them to compare with the PW2 quote.

A 13.5kWh battery would make more sense for me than a 9.5 and 2 x 9.5 are probably too much and as mentioned above I'm unlikely to break even on that within the warranty period.

Seems like there are plenty of pros and cons for both Givenergy and Powerwall. The Solaredge inverter that would be fitted with the PW2 sounds decent and the warranty on that can be extended to 25 years for not a lot of money.

Lots to consider!
I do agree on the PW 13.5kw being a bit of a sweet spot. Our 10 isn't quite enough, but going to 20 or a mix of devices is too much or too complex.

Reactions: Chimpy McChimp
Have you tried an online switch using this link Outgoing Octopus

Provide your MCS details etc. Mine just sailed through.

Ok - no email reply today, fed up with waiting… applied online using that link. Will post back if successful. The link looks like it’s for new users though and talks about them contacting the DNO to set up an export MPAN etc and waiting weeks and weeks 🤪.

I hope all that gets bypassed and doesn’t bugger things up and they just switch me 😂

How long did yours take to switch using that link @browellm ?

Ok - no email reply today, fed up with waiting… applied online using that link. Will post back if successful. The link looks like it’s for new users though and talks about them contacting the DNO to set up an export MPAN etc and waiting weeks and weeks 🤪.

I hope all that gets bypassed and doesn’t bugger things up and they just switch me 😂

Under 24 hours.

Reactions: Pete UK
9.5 was best bang for buck at the time. I want another as I'm going to induction for cooking and want to use my A2A more (although it doesn't reach enough of upstairs). Ignoring the 5.2 or lower as 80% devices and also just expensive relative to their size. So its 8.2 or 9.5 again and the price is similar. When I can afford it I'll probably grab another 9.5

Based on my recent Octopus quote a heat pump would be 1.5k

I have strong suspicions though that Octopus are going to be quite choosy about who they install for at that price (esp. since there's a 6+ month wait for installs already), so I'm half expecting them to say no.
Octopus want to do a standard job at a standard price. They don't want to get involved with anything complex or different, and they want to have 0% failure rate due to undersizing. On the other hand, they'll generally do a decent job at a good price.
The tendency for this group would be towards something less standard

I've got British Gas installing an ASHP in November (Oxymoron I know) and they have just informed me my end price is dropping £2.5K due to the subsidy change.

Yes I tried going with Octopus but lost the will with noisy kit needing planning permission and total inflexibility on using quieter alternatives from same ASHP supplier.

Update: seamless move to Octopus Outgoing at 15p (while on IO incoming) in under 24 hours using the online switch link and re-submitting my MCS details again - Just showed up about 20 mins ago. So that works, the customer phone agents don’t know what they are talking about and Zainub the email AI talks nonsense 👍🏻

Incidentally, this morning I just got an email back from “Zainub” who is definitely an AI bot 🤖 telling me I was on the 4p rate !

Thanks for the tip @browellm - put an end to me going nuts.