Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar PV News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hawaii’s new reality of solar plus storage: under 10 cents

The price for each of these contracts was between eight and ten cents per kilowatt-hour. This is cheaper than both gas peaker plants and HEI’s current cost of fossil fuel generation, much of which is petroleum-based, which the company put at around 15 cents per kilowatt-hour.

But perhaps more important than that is that these projects can be used to supply electricity during the evening peak and on cloudy days, moving solar from an intermittent, mid-day supply of electricity to a dispatchable resource.

As such, they are ushering in the age of the solar peaker. And there will be more where these came from.

Navajo Nation to move beyond coal

Navajo Nation bill would replace 2.25 GW of coal with renewables

Fortunately they rejected the offer to buy the toxic coal plant and are now looking at solar. They have sun and space and transmission lines. Could work out well. Also provide jobs, training and revenue.
Certainly better than their not too long ago asinine decision to buy the coal mine in the 4-corners area (near Kirtland), purportedly to preserve some mining jobs. I tried to warn them that those jobs were going away regardless but special interests prevailed.

By 2030, Over Half Of New Electricity Connections Will Be Off-Grid

Corporate-level investments in off-grid solutions have rallied since 2014, as technological advancements and new business models in the sector address the problem that 3 billion people worldwide lack access to reliable electricity. As such, by 2030, the IEA estimates that more than 71 percent of new electricity connections will be via off-grid or mini-grid solutions.

In the power industry, utilities are turning away from central feed-in solar power programs. But rather than alleviating issues with electricity supply, these programs are exacerbating problems in the grid infrastructure. As this shift accelerates, some strategic investors are now betting that off-grid power will replace the grid – a major shift in the way we power our homes, businesses and communities. And as we all know, market disruption also presents an investment opportunity.

How Coal-Killing Solar Panels Can Help US Farmers | CleanTechnica

Good opportunities for farmers to combine solar and crops.

The basic idea is to preserve most of the topsoil, instead of leveling the entire footprint of a new solar farm. Then you can plant pollinator-friendly native plants and other species. Et voilà:

The deep roots of native vegetation retain more water than turf grass and gravel during heavy storms and periods of drought. They also help retain topsoil and improve soil health over time, even in “brownfield” areas with polluted soils.

Perhaps most importantly, native and flowering vegetation provides a habitat for native species, especially pollinators and other beneficial insects that can improve yields at nearby farms.

A new model of how we get to 100% renewables shows lower costs and lots of jobs.

Solar dominated renewable energy world possible by 2050, and cheaper

“The sustainable energy system is more efficient and cost-effective than the existing system, which is based primarily on fossil fuels and nuclear. A global renewable transition is the only sustainable option for the energy sector, and is compatible with the internationally adopted Paris Agreement.

“The energy transition is not a question of technical feasibility or economic viability, but one of political will.”

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele
A new model of how we get to 100% renewables shows lower costs and lots of jobs.

Solar dominated renewable energy world possible by 2050, and cheaper

“The sustainable energy system is more efficient and cost-effective than the existing system, which is based primarily on fossil fuels and nuclear. A global renewable transition is the only sustainable option for the energy sector, and is compatible with the internationally adopted Paris Agreement.

“The energy transition is not a question of technical feasibility or economic viability, but one of political will.”

Might as well link to the full study: it's worth digging into.

http://energywatchgroup.org/wp-content/uploads/EWG_LUT_100RE_All_Sectors_Global_Report_2019.pdf

For example:

Policy Recommendations

To ensure a smooth, fast, and cost-effective transition to 100% renewable energy across all sectors, governments need to adopt national legislative acts that will ensure the swift uptake in the development of renewable energy, storage technologies, sector coupling, and smart energy systems. Frameworks should include favourable investment conditions for all actors, including businesses and communities. The following key political support measures will accelerate the energy transition:
  • Policies and instruments focused on sector coupling and enabling direct private investment in renewable energy and other zero emission technologies.
  • Feed-in Tariff laws should be adopted to enable investments (under 40 MW) from decentralised actors, such as small and medium enterprises, cooperatives, communities, farmers and citizens. Tendering procedures for large scale investors should only be applied for utility-scale capacities above 40 MW.
  • A responsible phase-out of all state subsidies to fossil fuel and nuclear energy generation is necessary.
  • Introduction of carbon, methane and radioactivity taxes.
  • Incentives created to spur the growth of renewable energy technologies; such as tax exemptions, direct subsidies, and legal privileges.
  • Policies and frameworks that promote research, education and information sharing on renewable energy and zero emission technologies.
Good to see stick and carrot together. I was also pleased to see projections around energy storage using synthetic gas, generated from renewable energy. However I'd like to understand why they emphasized H2 over CH4.

Reactions: mspohr
Might as well link to the full study: it's worth digging into.

http://energywatchgroup.org/wp-content/uploads/EWG_LUT_100RE_All_Sectors_Global_Report_2019.pdf

For example:

Policy Recommendations

To ensure a smooth, fast, and cost-effective transition to 100% renewable energy across all sectors, governments need to adopt national legislative acts that will ensure the swift uptake in the development of renewable energy, storage technologies, sector coupling, and smart energy systems. Frameworks should include favourable investment conditions for all actors, including businesses and communities. The following key political support measures will accelerate the energy transition:
  • Policies and instruments focused on sector coupling and enabling direct private investment in renewable energy and other zero emission technologies.
  • Feed-in Tariff laws should be adopted to enable investments (under 40 MW) from decentralised actors, such as small and medium enterprises, cooperatives, communities, farmers and citizens. Tendering procedures for large scale investors should only be applied for utility-scale capacities above 40 MW.
  • A responsible phase-out of all state subsidies to fossil fuel and nuclear energy generation is necessary.
  • Introduction of carbon, methane and radioactivity taxes.
  • Incentives created to spur the growth of renewable energy technologies; such as tax exemptions, direct subsidies, and legal privileges.
  • Policies and frameworks that promote research, education and information sharing on renewable energy and zero emission technologies.
Good to see stick and carrot together. I was also pleased to see projections around energy storage using synthetic gas, generated from renewable energy. However I'd like to understand why they emphasized H2 over CH4.
Interesting that they are proposing "radioactivity" taxes on nuclear power.
" In addition to the phase-out, the introduction of carbon, methane and radioactivity taxes, further helps internalising the external costs, such as global warming, air pollution, or nuclear waste caused by fossil and nuclear utilities."

Nuclear power is not "renewable" and not "clean".

L.A. could replace traditional power plants with home solar, experts say

A combination of residential solar and batteries could replace traditional power plants!

I live in California and have a solar system. It works great in the Summer but not so much during the winter. It puts out about 8 times as much power during the summer than the winter. Since I use about the same amount of energy in the winter as the summer I would need about 5 or 6 times the panels plus storage to go off the grid. So the cost would be really expensive and would never pay out. Even if I was willing to pay for such a system I don't have enough rood space to add enough panels.

I live in California and have a solar system. It works great in the Summer but not so much during the winter. It puts out about 8 times as much power during the summer than the winter. Since I use about the same amount of energy in the winter as the summer I would need about 5 or 6 times the panels plus storage to go off the grid. So the cost would be really expensive and would never pay out. Even if I was willing to pay for such a system I don't have enough rood space to add enough panels.

Why aren't you grid tied? There's more wind in the winter and less demand. It balances out. That's one of the many... many... many reasons being grid-tied is better.

Reactions: mspohr
Solar+storage can outcompete “mid-merit” gas units, not just peakers

Solar plus storage has begun displacing new natural gas peaking units in Arizona, and 8minuteenergy Renewables CEO Tom Buttgenbach has said his firm can build solar plus storage at a lower price than gas peakers “anywhere in the country today.”

A new study shows that solar plus storage (S+S) also outcompetes new “mid-merit” gas units in four of five grid service areas across the nation in a scenario where current rates of compensation for grid services hold steady over 30 years. S+S also costs less than these gas units in a number of other cases studied. The study was published by battery maker Fluence, a joint venture of Siemens and AES.

• Informative
Reactions: mblakele