Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Roof, big price increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am curious about what everyone is doing. My price went from 40k to 58K. I sent an email to tesla stating this Is a breach of contract and I have to move forward in a legal matter if this is not addressed. I received an email from TESLA stating they will give me a free power wall. Unfortunately, things don't work like that. I have a construction loan with was approved and funded for the roof of 40k. I cannot just ask the bank for more money because TESLA requires it. I have to take another loan, pay closing costs, etc for this. At this point, my house is being built without a roof because I was confident TESLA would never play games. So with that said, did tesla hold up anyone's initials price? Is it worth waiting at this point? Should I just hire legal counsel and move in that course? Love to hear everyone's thoughts!

Thank you!
As others noted, there is some chance Tesla will move forward. If you have not already, it probably does not hurt to respond to Tesla declining the "free" PW and explaining why (the loan) this is simply unworkable as an option.

As to lawyers, it has been noted in the past that there is an arbitration clause in the contract. That does not preclude talking to a lawyer or getting support for demand letters or arbitration, but it does potentially limit the options.

I get it that plywood is expensive. My other roofing quotes are usually first couple sheets free and $5/sq ft after. Tesla seems to just assuming the entire deck needs redone. None of the 3 other roofers has said anything close to that.

Unfortunately, Tesla seems to not be big on any ambiguity in their pricing (notwithstanding this whole thread where they surprised people with huge increases.) In a lot of ways this is good - normally they don't seem to have surprise extras during installs for variances in materials (though, again, that was the old Tesla - I guess we will see if this price increase is part of a change in philosophy.) In any event, for something like this, it seems like it would be appropriate to price it as you describe.

You might be able to try to talk to them to make sure the cost is an estimate and that they will only charge it if the replacement is required. But, you will also need to talk to the installers to ensure they are aware, since otherwise they will see piles of plywood and an order to replace the roof decking and just do it. In our case, they did replace the entire roof deck, but it was a 75-year-old slate roof, so it was appropriate to do.

I just noticed that Tesla switched my solar panel install from 18.36kw to 16kw on their configurator. The 16kw wouldn't cover my needs. And the price stayed exactly the same for over 10% less power.

I'm not going with my install which is actually happening on Tuesday. Really glad I decided to pay a little more for a company that isn't so...and there is no better way to put this....scummy.

If it wasn't for Elon Musk and all the glamour of Tesla cars, this would be enough to sink another company.

I am not sure if they are reneging on solar panel installs as well yet but who knows.
what company did you end you up going with and what state do you live in?

Just got the email last night for a free power wall, telsa will send a new contract next week. My original quote was for 43k with a power wall.

The new quote jumped to 65k, if my math is correct that should be minus 12k for the power wall, if they are including it for "free" the new balance should be 53k that's still a $10k price jump from my original quote.

Ill wait to see what the new breakdown looks like.

I too have been hit with a big (34%) price increase for a system that was already under a signed contract, permitted, installation scheduled. I paid my deposit in mid 2019, took time off to let three different semi-competent onsite surveyors document my roof, went through three design iterations with semi-competent sales and engineering reps, and signed a Solar Roof Purchase Agreement (contract) in December 2019, countersigned by the President of Tesla Energy Operations.

For the next 13 months, the COVID pandemic happened and Tesla was unable to get a permit from the City of Santa Cruz. That was all sorted by February, 20 21. Tesla got the installation permit for my project and scheduled installation to start on April 19th.

Then, on April 13th, I got the Review and Accept email that others have reported. It provided a new pricing schedule that both increased the size of my roof treatment (mistake) and dramatically raised the price. (I now receive this same email every morning at 6:14a, like clockwork). Later that week, Tesla's scheduler cancelled my install date because I had not accepted their increased pricing. After talking with two Solar Roof Advisors, who promised to get me more information on what and why things had changed, neither followed up with the promised information, nor could they be reached at the phone numbers they gave me. On April 21st, a third Advisor contacted me and promised to provide more explanation on the pricing. This guy actually got back to me by email that afternoon, but the information he provided was useless. It still showed a total price increase of 34%, and the line-by-line price comparisons with my contract made no sense. The price of the solar roof component had doubled, the price of the Powerwall component was a few hundred dollars cheaper but not clear why, and the Preconstruction section included a new charge of $8,100 for Roof Deck Replacement (which had been a N/A item in my contract because the roof deck is only five years old). Furthermore, Tesla had removed a $1000 credit found in my contract for Those Affected by California Wildfires. Also, the second Advisor had offered a free Powerwall as a gesture of generosity, but that was missing from the latest pricing proposal. Basically, every pricing proposal that Tesla has sent me has been inconsistent with the other pricing proposals, so they can't get their story straight.

My bottom line is that I had a signed contract that Tesla is not honoring. Nothing about my project has changed since we signed, and Tesla had ample opportunity to identify and price any difficulties before we finalized the design and contract. The only thing that has changed is Tesla's decision to bait and switch on a signed contract. I'm an architect, and I know what incompetent contractors and shady construction contracting look like. I'm also a an otherwise-happy Tesla customer (Model 3 owner), and I know what bad customer service looks like. Sadly, the Solar Roof division at Tesla is losing credibility and their most loyal customers due to these practices. I will likely be one of them unless they clean up this mess and get my project back on track.

I too have been hit with a big (34%) price increase for a system that was already under a signed contract, permitted, installation scheduled. I paid my deposit in mid 2019, took time off to let three different semi-competent onsite surveyors document my roof, went through three design iterations with semi-competent sales and engineering reps, and signed a Solar Roof Purchase Agreement (contract) in December 2019, countersigned by the President of Tesla Energy Operations.

For the next 13 months, the COVID pandemic happened and Tesla was unable to get a permit from the City of Santa Cruz. That was all sorted by February, 20 21. Tesla got the installation permit for my project and scheduled installation to start on April 19th.

Then, on April 13th, I got the Review and Accept email that others have reported. It provided a new pricing schedule that both increased the size of my roof treatment (mistake) and dramatically raised the price. (I now receive this same email every morning at 6:14a, like clockwork). Later that week, Tesla's scheduler cancelled my install date because I had not accepted their increased pricing. After talking with two Solar Roof Advisors, who promised to get me more information on what and why things had changed, neither followed up with the promised information, nor could they be reached at the phone numbers they gave me. On April 21st, a third Advisor contacted me and promised to provide more explanation on the pricing. This guy actually got back to me by email that afternoon, but the information he provided was useless. It still showed a total price increase of 34%, and the line-by-line price comparisons with my contract made no sense. The price of the solar roof component had doubled, the price of the Powerwall component was a few hundred dollars cheaper but not clear why, and the Preconstruction section included a new charge of $8,100 for Roof Deck Replacement (which had been a N/A item in my contract because the roof deck is only five years old). Furthermore, Tesla had removed a $1000 credit found in my contract for Those Affected by California Wildfires. Also, the second Advisor had offered a free Powerwall as a gesture of generosity, but that was missing from the latest pricing proposal. Basically, every pricing proposal that Tesla has sent me has been inconsistent with the other pricing proposals, so they can't get their story straight.

My bottom line is that I had a signed contract that Tesla is not honoring. Nothing about my project has changed since we signed, and Tesla had ample opportunity to identify and price any difficulties before we finalized the design and contract. The only thing that has changed is Tesla's decision to bait and switch on a signed contract. I'm an architect, and I know what incompetent contractors and shady construction contracting look like. I'm also a an otherwise-happy Tesla customer (Model 3 owner), and I know what bad customer service looks like. Sadly, the Solar Roof division at Tesla is losing credibility and their most loyal customers due to these practices. I will likely be one of them unless they clean up this mess and get my project back on track.
Welcome to the fourm, I was on hold for almost an hour before I was able to talk to an actual rep. He stated the price increase was going to be added to anyone who has not had their roof installed, its NOT because of the higher cost in materials but in fact he stated that the decision was made by the higher ups and there was nothing I could do but to either accept the new terms or simply cancel.

Now, being in the auto industry I understand the shortage of materials that affect products made, the demand is so high right now its crazy. There is simply not enough inventory for everyone, its like this with lumber too. I am guessing they are being hit hard by the 3rd party installers, I am sure there are "complex" roofs and also roofs that need more work than anticipated, I would completely understand the price increase THEN, but to just add a random amount to all the roofs, that's just not right.

I had two telsa roofs inspections and both said my roof would be a very simple and a typical install. My house was built in the late 2000's so I am sure there is nothing that would need to be replaced due to dry rot or need a panel upgrade.

There should be more thorough inspections to make sure the final cost of install is at least right on the money with the contract. I could justify a couple thousand dollar increase but from what im seeing, 20k to 75k! that is just not right.

I got my email last night offering me a free Powerwall if I would sign. I guess they are offering everyone a free Powerwall, regardless of the roof cost? My 20kW system with 2 Powerwalls went from ~$90K to ~$150K. A single Powerwall doesn't seem like much incentive for me to sign considering they raised my system by almost $60K. Maybe if they offered me 4 free Powerwalls, I might be interested.

Reactions: VaNick and cobra
I got my email last night offering me a free Powerwall if I would sign. I guess they are offering everyone a free Powerwall, regardless of the roof cost? My 20kW system with 2 Powerwalls went from ~$90K to ~$150K. A single Powerwall doesn't seem like much incentive for me to sign considering they raised my system by almost $60K. Maybe if they offered me 4 free Powerwalls, I might be interested.
You and I have the same numbers ($90K --> $150K), and I got the single Powerwall offer as well. I fail to see how a "more complex roof" would add that much of an increase - $5-10K or so I could see, but $60K? Unfathomably ridiculous. Still waiting around to see what happens...

You and I have the same numbers ($90K --> $150K), and I got the single Powerwall offer as well. I fail to see how a "more complex roof" would add that much of an increase - $5-10K or so I could see, but $60K? Unfathomably ridiculous. Still waiting around to see what happens...
Sadly I can't wait too long since my roof is in really bad shape. I ordered the Tesla Roof because I needed a new roof, but they have really screwed up my planning.

Plywood is crazy expensive right now. So could be legit.
I agree plywood is expensive. It's $50 a 32sf board. You can check it out at Home Depot. My decking was over 30 years old as was fine. Maybe a board or two needs to be replaced. After all it has been covered up. But $7200!!! The roofer can't even see the decking yet.

If there had been an insect infestation then maybe. But otherwise seems like a scam. Need more information on this one.

WOW!!! 90k to 150k? Thats completely insane. Tesla is a hot mess as a company, thats for sure.

Reactions: jkeyser14
I had an earlier post on page 14 about just getting under the wire on the price (they started my job the Monday after the price increases). The original pricing has held in my case and the roof is nearly finished, the dumpster just left today. I've heard (please take this as hearsay for now, don't want to get anyone in trouble) that management has reversed course. I was told that signed contracts will be honored. Please update if you get a call or new contract terms.
Interesting to hear. I wonder how this will play out for those that are still waiting to accept or cancel such as myself. I replied to one of the updates from Tesla reminding me there was still an action item for me to process for my Solar Roof asking how long I could defer accepting (or cancelling) before my mid-June install date was affected. They responded stating I had until April 30th to commit, after which my install date could not be honored. I didn't ask if that meant an outright install cancelation or just a need to negotiate a new install date. I was just looking for a date in writing from them which I got.
The plot thickens: I just got an email offering a free Powerwall. Up until the post above, I probably would have considered it. To recap, I'm going from $41k to $52k, but then they added another $7k for roof decking. There are some decent incentives here in MA through the Connected Solutions program for having a battery, but....am I totally getting taken for a ride regarding an extra $7k for plywood? It could be signs the pressure could be working, though I've heard nothing back from the AGO or FTC.
I also got the e-mail offering a free Powerwall stating a new contract would be posted to my account in the coming days. It hasn't shown up yet though. As usual, it's unclear what they mean. I don't know if they'd add a 4th Powerwall to our configuration, or apply a credit to one of the three existing on the order. And either way, it's not clear how this affects installation costs as adding another PW might result in a proposed net increase in installation costs.

I've also yet to hear back from my complaint with the SEIA. The state AG's office did get back to me agreeing to work with me on the complaint, but the only motion there was requesting me to sign an authorization form for Tesla to release my information to the AG's office when the AG contacts Tesla on our behalf.

Depending on how the free PW offer impacts the contract, I may consider accepting it (we're only up 18% unlike others). But in doing so it feels like I would be accepting a bribe.

My project got affected by the pricing hike (47k -> 65k). I have held back on accepting the new contract. I asked them to state clearly if there were able to honor the original price contract in email. If the answer is yes, then they should either absorb this cost increase OR allow the previously approved material for installation on signed contracts. If the answer is no, then we need to look at legal options. It's as simple as that. I did get the offer of a single power wall, but making a customer "pay" for a power wall they weren't intending to put at this point in time, is no deal for me. If they had offered 2-3 power wall units I would have considered something.

As with most other responses here, my roof design hasn't changed and this shady behavior from Tesla is not going to fly. I'm hoping they see they can't pull a fast one like this, and revert to honoring signed contracts!

Reactions: FlatSix911
People seem a bit confused about the powerwall incentive. Since I already signed my new agreement, I think I got a slightly different email (I was worried they would not offer me the deal, since I'd already signed, but I guess they, like me, realized that then I could likely claim actual damages). My letter said:

Thank you for your continued support. We’d like to offer you one Powerwall at no additional charge when you proceed with your Solar Roof installation. Once your system receives Permission to Operate, we’ll send you a check for the cost of one Powerwall.

I've emailed my account manager to verify that the wording is what it says - I front the money, and they send me a check.

My house renovation is currently waiting on Tesla to dry-in.

Reactions: rspray2000
I'm personally not affected but reading all these awful stories I think you guys need to make this information is very public. It should be on all channels and news sites. I googled it and it's barely in the news. Public opinion matters and could affect how company react on negative PR.
Eleck trek just posted another article that PW's are being offered, but generally agree. I know some folks in here had planned to email tips to some outlets but I'm unsure of which ones and/or what the responses were.

People seem a bit confused about the powerwall incentive. Since I already signed my new agreement, I think I got a slightly different email (I was worried they would not offer me the deal, since I'd already signed, but I guess they, like me, realized that then I could likely claim actual damages). My letter said:

Thank you for your continued support. We’d like to offer you one Powerwall at no additional charge when you proceed with your Solar Roof installation. Once your system receives Permission to Operate, we’ll send you a check for the cost of one Powerwall.

I've emailed my account manager to verify that the wording is what it says - I front the money, and they send me a check.

My house renovation is currently waiting on Tesla to dry-in.
Great to hear, I think. But, does that mean those that accept the free powerwall offer will get a nice surprise from Tesla later with a 1099-MISC putting us on the hook to pay taxes on the freebie? That would be some fine icing on this cake.

Has anyone gotten any kind of response back from the [email protected] address (a response to filing a dispute)? Two weeks seems like sufficient time to respond when they planned this in advance and knew it was going to anger a lot of people. I think they are just biding their time trying to shake loose anyone who will cancel on their own or accept the new agreement so they don't need to actually violate any contracts, after which the legitimate offers will come out. Otherwise every statement from a Tesla rep is just squirrely language that avoids saying "we won't honor your contract", so I am holding out hope that they will indeed honor our contracts. I've only heard one person say a rep said something to the effect of "we will not honor your existing price", so I'm guessing that one rep just went off the script.

I'm personally not affected but reading all these awful stories I think you guys need to make this information is very public. It should be on all channels and news sites. I googled it and it's barely in the news. Public opinion matters and could affect how company react on negative PR.
I've been trying, espeically for the Tesla Fans. But I even got a few Tesla Fans on Twitter tell me "I don't believe you". Super insane...