Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solar Roof, big price increase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have also just received an automated email and text from Tesla that if I don't sign the new contract, they will take that as an acknowledgement of my intent to cancel the contract. This is unbelievable - this is how serious scum operates. The blatant disregard of signed contracts, of time and money people spend to prep for solar roof, construction decisions made while relying on a contract indicated that Tesla and Musk think that they can and will get away with murder by simply interpreting it as minor inconvenience and their right. While investors keep making good money on Tesla stock, they will be giving Tesla a pass on this behavior.

I've been following this thread a lot, but haven't filed with arbitration, state GA, CA licensing board and such. Now, this has given me a long needed boost to do that today. I commend everyone who actually filed as you are doing the right thing.
Not that I think it makes a difference buy in the email Tesla stated “new contract”?

D6199153-F4B0-4D7F-85D3-E331741DE358.jpeg

Anyone else get this complete BS offer today? Basically it sounds like sign here and maybe we will increase the size of your system at our discretion.

View attachment 666236
Anyone else get this complete BS offer today? Basically it sounds like sign here and maybe we will increase the size of your system at our discretion.
Did you sign the new agreement already? If you haven’t, this looks like a ploy to get you to accept a ‘change to the solar portion of your roof’ to allow them to change the price per the original agreement terms. I wouldn’t believe for one second that they were just feeling generous with extra solar tiles.

Did you sign the new agreement already? If you haven’t, this looks like a ploy to get you to accept a ‘change to the solar portion of your roof’ to allow them to change the price per the original agreement terms. I wouldn’t believe for one second that they were just feeling generous with extra solar tiles.
I read these posts and just cannot believe anyone would want to work with these folks on something as critical as ones roof.

Reactions: FlatSix911
I read these posts and just cannot believe anyone would want to work with these folks on something as critical as ones roof.
Tesla over promised and underdelivered—I said it before—but it may be a blessing in disguise. But with expectations running high, an unperfected process, zero after-sales service and support, for me it’s been a nightmare. Each day something new manifests itself. Today I checked my rain gutters and found a tool someone left behind blocking the downspout, and a pile of nails. I was wondering why nails kept showing up on the sidewalk. Also, a few of the hangers have pulled out of the gutters. Soon it will be five month and all I get from Tesla is a lot of lip service.

Attachments

• 8FF168B5-CC71-4B58-8DF4-682DCE1ED48B.jpeg
    8FF168B5-CC71-4B58-8DF4-682DCE1ED48B.jpeg
    612.3 KB · Views: 61
  • D103010F-8ED2-4EF8-89E4-0E6E94660062.jpeg
    D103010F-8ED2-4EF8-89E4-0E6E94660062.jpeg
    512.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 905E2A32-0D79-4E41-86BD-39141584417A.jpeg
    905E2A32-0D79-4E41-86BD-39141584417A.jpeg
    711.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 2FC1348B-C0BB-4CEB-9827-45B77CEB5493.jpeg
    2FC1348B-C0BB-4CEB-9827-45B77CEB5493.jpeg
    764.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 1AC58D9D-4867-42EA-AD73-B780E4BE71AC.jpeg
    1AC58D9D-4867-42EA-AD73-B780E4BE71AC.jpeg
    656.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Informative
View attachment 666236
Wow! Simply wow!

They will do an assessment and definitely increase the solar roof area by 10%, and by doing that:
1. They can now satisfy this part of the "Contract Price" section in their purchase agreement to justify the overall price increase. "causes a change to the solar portion of your Solar roof".

Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 3.36.51 PM.png

And as a result of this amendment, they no longer have to defend themselves based on "unforeseen conditions at the installation location", which is what every attorney and sane minded person is pointing out to them.

Tesla over promised and underdelivered—I said it before—but it may be a blessing in disguise. But with expectations running high, an unperfected process, zero after-sales service and support, for me it’s been a nightmare. Each day something new manifests itself. Today I checked my rain gutters and found a tool someone left behind blocking the downspout, and a pile of nails. I was wondering why nails kept showing up on the sidewalk. Also, a few of the hangers have pulled out of the gutters. Soon it will be five month and all I get from Tesla is a lot of lip service.
One of the photos is not the one I intended to post. Here, is a picture of the tool that was left behind. The interesting thing is Tesla sent a quality inspector with a UAV to review the work. What was he looking for?

Attachments

• 3E14E58A-7EAD-4B56-B87E-63E344B31BAD.jpeg
    3E14E58A-7EAD-4B56-B87E-63E344B31BAD.jpeg
    612.3 KB · Views: 64
Wow! Simply wow!

They will do an assessment and definitely increase the solar roof area by 10%, and by doing that:
1. They can now satisfy this part of the "Contract Price" section in their purchase agreement to justify the overall price increase. "causes a change to the solar portion of your Solar roof".

View attachment 666354

And as a result of this amendment, they no longer have to defend themselves based on "unforeseen conditions at the installation location", which is what every attorney and sane minded person is pointing out to them.
Right. I didn't sign the new contract, won't sign this, and don't trust a word out of their mouths. I won't pay them an extra dime over what we agreed, and now am just planning to go to arbitration and have them pay me damages. I removed a bunch of cabinets in my garage for powerwalls, had to patch and paint a ton of sheetrock and removed valuable trees. Their choices are to do the roof and lose $50k on the installation (which I don't expect them to do), go to arbitration and lose an unknown amount in damages, or settle with me in some other way.

Right. I didn't sign the new contract, won't sign this, and don't trust a word out of their mouths. I won't pay them an extra dime over what we agreed, and now am just planning to go to arbitration and have them pay me damages. I removed a bunch of cabinets in my garage for powerwalls, had to patch and paint a ton of sheetrock and removed valuable trees. Their choices are to do the roof and lose $50k on the installation (which I don't expect them to do), go to arbitration and lose an unknown amount in damages, or settle with me in some other way.
100%.

Just a heads up, I started the process of arbitration already. Either the process looks severely flawed or the person explaining things to me doesn't have a clue:

After filing the arbitration, the process indicates:
1. An intake team has to verify that all filing requirements are met. The requirements need both parties to pay filing fees.
2. Once this is done, a case manager gets assigned who will send an initiation letter to both sides.
3. After (2) is done, Tesla gets 14-days to respond to the demand letter.

Now, here's the kicker: That step (1) is completely unbounded in time.
I paid my portion of the filing fees. Their intake team is busy looking at filing requests pouring in. And hence, there is a non-deterministic time for when they will look into your filing. Once they do that, they give Tesla 10-days to remit the filing fee. If Tesla doesn't pay heed, they give them a 2nd notice to pay up. If they fail to pay after the second notice.....
<wait for it>
<drum roll>
"If no filing fees are received, then the case will eventually be closed due to filing requirement deficiency."

What the actual f*****?!?!

This is the actual response from adr.org!

What is the incentive for Tesla to participate in the timely fashion here? The only one I can think of, is they put the arbitration clause in the contract, and if they themselves don't participate, they are inviting a world of hurt with class-action.

• Informative
100%.

Just a heads up, I started the process of arbitration already. Either the process looks severely flawed or the person explaining things to me doesn't have a clue:

After filing the arbitration, the process indicates:
1. An intake team has to verify that all filing requirements are met. The requirements need both parties to pay filing fees.
2. Once this is done, a case manager gets assigned who will send an initiation letter to both sides.
3. After (2) is done, Tesla gets 14-days to respond to the demand letter.

Now, here's the kicker: That step (1) is completely unbounded in time.
I paid my portion of the filing fees. Their intake team is busy looking at filing requests pouring in. And hence, there is a non-deterministic time for when they will look into your filing. Once they do that, they give Tesla 10-days to remit the filing fee. If Tesla doesn't pay heed, they give them a 2nd notice to pay up. If they fail to pay after the second notice.....
<wait for it>
<drum roll>
"If no filing fees are received, then the case will eventually be closed due to filing requirement deficiency."

What the actual f*****?!?!

This is the actual response from adr.org!

What is the incentive for Tesla to participate in the timely fashion here? The only one I can think of, is they put the arbitration clause in the contract, and if they themselves don't participate, they are inviting a world of hurt with class-action.
I would agree that it would be a big mistake for Tesla to not pay the arbitration fee, though I am guessing they know how long they have and are waiting to the last minute, hoping to come up with a way to avoid it. (Which is similar to why they have had the free PW offer and now this 10% off the higher price/10%+ more solar offer for some customers, in addition to doing some at the original contract or agreeing to pay expenses for some to cancel.)

Out of curiosity, what is the filing fee for you, and are you expecting Tesla to eventually reimburse it? I know my contract indicates Tesla "will pay all AAA fees for any arbitration", and I guess I would expect that includes filing fees.

I would agree that it would be a big mistake for Tesla to not pay the arbitration fee, though I am guessing they know how long they have and are waiting to the last minute, hoping to come up with a way to avoid it. (Which is similar to why they have had the free PW offer and now this 10% off the higher price/10%+ more solar offer for some customers, in addition to doing some at the original contract or agreeing to pay expenses for some to cancel.)

Out of curiosity, what is the filing fee for you, and are you expecting Tesla to eventually reimburse it? I know my contract indicates Tesla "will pay all AAA fees for any arbitration", and I guess I would expect that includes filing fees.
Yes, Tesla should be paying for everything here according to my contract. It was $200.

Don't we need to wait 60 days from your email to the resolutions address? Assuming you got the letter on the same day as me and emailed them the same day (as I did) that should put the arbitration initiation out to Wednesday, June 9th.
Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, please consult your attorney.

If you and Tesla have tried to resolve this in good-faith and are at an impasse. It is possible to skip the 60 days. Again, please check for your specific situation.

Don't we need to wait 60 days from your email to the resolutions address? Assuming you got the letter on the same day as me and emailed them the same day (as I did) that should put the arbitration initiation out to Wednesday, June 9th.
I know in NJ if you file a complaint via the DCA or in CA with the CLB they will attempt mediation first, which is non-binding, then arbitration. One possible benefit is they may refer it to AG for violations and possible fines. Other states may be similar.

And I just thought it was a Malco gutter stopper. :)

Thanks, that's nice to know. But at my age and condition climbing on a roof, especially a glass roof, is out of the question.
Same, but when you have windows on a second story and someone(contractor) needs to get on the roof the popper comes in handy.

No complaints with ours, production / duck curve seems interesting compared to traditional panels. Cleanup of random construction debris lasted as long as most large scale home projects, screws/nails randomly showing up for nearly a year after install. Magnet rake earns its keep.

Reactions: BGbreeder
Same, but when you have windows on a second story and someone(contractor) needs to get on the roof the popper comes in handy.

No complaints with ours, production / duck curve seems interesting compared to traditional panels. Cleanup of random construction debris lasted as long as most large scale home projects, screws/nails randomly showing up for nearly a year after install. Magnet rake earns its keep.
I've been on many roofs installing roofing, siding, and gutters. But, one doesn't leave a job with dozens of nails in the driveway, destroy someone's siding and gutters, and leave tools, nails, and other plastic parts and metal pieces all over the place. I built my home from the ground up and have rehabbed many properties, it would take me the totality of the work I’ve done to match this level of avocation, ineptness, artlessness, ineptitude … on and on and on.

I found tin snips in my flowerbeds and about 100 screws of varying sizes. The reason the nails keep showing up near my front door is because they occasionally wash out of the gutters. My neighbor a few doors down came over a month ago and showed me stuff he's been picked up in his yard. The job ended in early January. What I witnessed was a real cluster jerk or a circle something. These guys shouldn't be trusted with a dog house.

I have contacted 7 companies and none have quoted me a fixed price to fix the damage. Only one has offered a WAG of $20k. I’m still expecting one more, and this got interesting. First the estimator came, he called a project manager and then the project manager who showed up and then called the boss. The boss told the PM he’ll get back to me because he could be off by $10k. The ROM was $10k so $20K. So that’s two at $20k. and that doesn’t fix all the issues. I had one guy say he would re-side the whole house for $40k, $5k of which was due to the solar roof.

I’ve been waiting for almost 5 months for Tesla to facilitate at least one repair. I’ve made numerous phone calls and have sent countless emails. Finally about 3-4 weeks ago a local Tesla employee shows up to see what the problem is. They had no idea anything was wrong.

Buying a Tesla product is like joining the mafia, there’s only one way they let you out.

“Well, I screwed it up real good, didn't I?” ~ Richard (Musk) Nixon

• Informative