Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarCity (SCTY)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SolarCitys Plan for Tesla Batteries: Share Grid Revenues With Homeowners : Greentech Media

more value to powerwall and Solarcity then at first take. Peter rive talks about what I was referring to as "virtual power planting."

utiltiies in CA may pay powerwall+solar customer $10 per kW month, which is pretty interesting and could result in significant cost/kWh reduction for Solarcity product owners/lessees at initial glance.

This totally changes the economics. A Powerwall unit offers 3 kW peak. So if the utility pays $10 per kW per month, that is $30 per month and $3600 over 10 years. This alone pays for the Powerwall unit.

What's going on here is that the grid pays for standby power and distributed batteries provide standby power. So essentially SolarCity is working on how to monetize this.

I'd also point out that this distributed standby power is of greater value to the grid than power that must by tramitted. It avoids transmission cost at precisely those moments when transmission load is heaviest. Robert Boston has pointed out that transmission losses are proportional to the square of the load. So avoiding transmission when it is at peak load has a lot of marginal value.

This totally changes the economics. A Powerwall unit offers 3 kW peak. So if the utility pays $10 per kW per month, that is $30 per month and $3600 over 10 years. This alone pays for the Powerwall unit.

What's going on here is that the grid pays for standby power and distributed batteries provide standby power. So essentially SolarCity is working on how to monetize this.

I'd also point out that this distributed standby power is of greater value to the grid than power that must by tramitted. It avoids transmission cost at precisely those moments when transmission load is heaviest. Robert Boston has pointed out that transmission losses are proportional to the square of the load. So avoiding transmission when it is at peak load has a lot of marginal value.

Does anyone know who would have this capability other than Solarcity in the DG space? If not, could be a significant differentiator in and of itself in the retail electricity market.

the powerwall is not compelling to me, as an ev driver and solar pv owner. The reason is the lock in to certain installers and also the lack of one unit power. I want 5KW of continuous power out of an inverter and one single rack of batteries. If I were to install one. It would be 40 kWh and include the ability to island the house. The powerwall is only a small part of a hybrid island-able grid-tied with battery backup system. Yet some people think it will charge off the solar pv if the grid goes down. That is called islanding and there are no islanding specs because you need to send your typical solar inverter a grid signal indicating it is up. Also, you need to dump excess load into something if the batteries are full or the solar pv is outputting more power than the battery charge rate. To me, the powerwall is a verticle box of batteries which is a building block and not a solution. It fits into some people's needs but a hybrid grid tied system that load-shaves is really what people want and they need to get their installer to engineer a full system for them at a much higher price. They have basically made the 18650 cell available, nearly at cost, to the renewables community and load shaving solutions for commercial. Utility is a scaled commercial approach.

Yes, it's part of a system, but the key effect of PowerWall is providing knowns for the storage. Price, warranty, capacity, power, dimensions. Maybe now with a price and storage more in the public consciousness people are going to ask about back-up and off-grid operation, and it'll lead to a shift to use of smart inverters that would allow storage to be added.

Does anyone know who would have this capability other than Solarcity in the DG space? If not, could be a significant differentiator in and of itself in the retail electricity market.

Longterm I expect a lot of innovation and competition in this space, even directly from utilities. However, SolarCity is very well positioned. Scale matters, supply of batteries mattters, programming and networking matter. A lot of solar installers will not be able to match this. So SolarCity may come close to offering batteries for free with installation of solar, which will be a much better deal than stand alone solar.

Also think about these utilities that want to put extra fees on rooftop solar owners or cut net-metering. Aggregated DER grid services is a powerful bargaining chip. Batteries bring grid services to the table. We could potentially see utilities give preferential treatment to rooftop solar owner who also have batteries enrolled in aggregation programs.

Forgive me, I am a car enthusiast who is learning about solar. Could someone tell me about how many days/hours it would take an average home solar roof installation (say 10-15 panels?) in Southern California to charge a 10Kwh Powerwall? What's the formula? Thank you.

Forgive me, I am a car enthusiast who is learning about solar. Could someone tell me about how many days/hours it would take an average home solar roof installation (say 10-15 panels?) in Southern California to charge a 10Kwh Powerwall? What's the formula? Thank you.

Rough order....200(+)W/panel * hours effective sun per day. I believe Los Angeles is about 5.5hours average over the year.

So 10 panels would give about 11kWh per day. 200W * 10Panel * 5.5Hours

The nice thing is that the parts of the year where you might need to run A/C is the time of year when you get the most sun.

The bad part is that you may only get half of the average production in the Winter.

It's interesting the Baird downgrade, CNBC downplay, and a couple negatively toned articles come out the day before solarcity's earnings.

My theory is creating a favorable window to cover short positions before earnings.

CEO has already stated Q1 was on schedule to be the biggest booking quarter in company history. March is speculated to have booked 18k customers where they booked 21k in all of Q4.

Q1 saw multiple financing deals totalling nearly $2bln in install capital. Over the past two months, online solar bonds have brought in ~$200mln alone.

Hawaii unloaded policy restricted backlog, connecting 2.5k systems to the grid in Q1 which suggests revenue influx would begin immediately in Q1. Also, Arizona's APS claims to have permitted more solar system's then they did last year Q1, indicating a potential positive effect on Solarcity systems installed and potentially generating income within the q1.
Also Solarcity broke two major production milestones within two weeks of each other: 4 gWh and 5gWh single day records. To me, this being noted by an Elon tweet as significant only signifies a potentially unexpected production level not anticipated in revenue guidance. Thus, the NE seasonality might not have had as dramatic affect on revenues(as Baird and others today are indicating as negatives on ER tomorrow).

Given multiple positives going into this ER, it is difficult to see this being a neutral to negative Q1 report. The guidance ought to be very strong since we are enter the prime spring/summer months.

Lastly, Powerwall orders going forward will be strong which is another metric to judge future revenue streams given the potential of utilities paying for aggregation capacity Solarcity is offering. Again, California is already speculated to be offering $10 per kW month. These installs are set to happen starting in October, so momentum will only build from here on out. Not to mention the positive affect on pv system booking numbers nowing that Powerwall might be an add on feature down the road.

update:
my understanding aggregating powerwall+pv means utilties will essentially "island" the home from the grid when the home turns on "internal power" thus reducing the load on the grid during peak times.

To me, this "service" will only improve solarcity's current retained value numbers as it will be additive to current NEM rates, especially for customers already grandfathered into current NEM rates. So, the entire previous retained value could shift higher incrementally(on top of the new customer value created)as current customers integrate powerwall into their systems.

this also gives more weight to customers signing back up for Solarcity at year 20 because the aggregating service value they bring to the table, which reduces your electricity costs regardless of panel efficiently. Again, powerwall is a 9-10 warranty, so further advances can be plug and play with pretty much any aged pv system. Thus, Solarcity may gain a higher probability of retaining customers well past year 20...

Last edited:
SolarCitys Plan for Tesla Batteries: Share Grid Revenues With Homeowners : Greentech Media

more value to powerwall and Solarcity then at first take. Peter rive talks about what I was referring to as "virtual power planting."

utiltiies in CA may pay powerwall+solar customer $10 per kW month, which is pretty interesting and could result in significant cost/kWh reduction for Solarcity product owners/lessees at initial glance.

Once the utilities begin to pay the full value for "ancillary services" provided by these fast ramping batteries that can also provide reactive power (VAR's) for voltage support/regulation, the economics of these batteries will get even better. Think about it there are already times on the grid when energy prices out at $1000/kWh!

Once the utilities begin to pay the full value for "ancillary services" provided by these fast ramping batteries that can also provide reactive power (VAR's) for voltage support/regulation, the economics of these batteries will get even better. Think about it there are already times on the grid when energy prices out at $1000/kWh!

Exactly, these are the kinds of transformative developments that can radically alter the economics of batteries. With adequate pricing mechanisms that can enable home storage to participate in offering aggregate grid services, one $1000/kWh event is enough to fully pay off a Powerwall unit with 3 kW peak output.

With battery aggregation like this, I see no real economic need for any new peak power plants. Utilities can avoid capex for such plants and simply buy peak power as needed. That is, the utilities do not even to pay $10/kW/month to battery aggregators. Such payments are needed to cover capex for peak power plants. But with distributed batteries owners are willing to absorb the capex already, no inducement needed. So all that is needed is that when the spot market gets above a critical threshold, the utility makes an offer to the aggregator. Say, the spot market is at $3/kWh. The utility offers say $2.50 to the aggregator, which in turn gets passes on say $2.25/kWh to battery owners. The battery owner nets about $2.00/kWh to offset the cost of the battery. Over the life of the PW unit, only about 1500 kWh ever need to be sold to cover the cost of the unit.

Such a mechanism creates a market. If there are too few PW units participating in this market, then peak payments will be larger and more frequent. Thus, PW owners stand to make a profit. If there are too many, then these events pay out very little per unit. So this leads to an equilibrium that is based on both the value of peak payments and other derived benefits of PW to their owners, e.g. self-consumption and back up. These derived benefits may suffice to assure that enough PW units are available to meet the utilities need. When this happens, they will no longer need to make stand by payments to merchant fleets. This in turn reduces the power bill of every ratepayer.

Good news: The SCOTUS agreed to hear the appeal of EPSA v PJM. If that decision is overturned, retail customers will be allowed to sell products in the wholesale markets (ancillary services, energy, capacity). Or I should say the reverse: absent a repeal of EPSA, ​retail customers will be frozen out of direct participation.

Q1 results, folks!

"
SolarCity First Quarter 2015 Shareholder Letter
153 MW Installed Exceeds Guidance of 145 MW
Record 237 MW Booked
Nominal Contracted Payments Remain
ing Up 144% Y/Y to $6.1 Billion
Incremental Q1 Economic Value Creat
ion to Equity of $147 Million
Net Retained Value of $2.7 Billion "

results are out - http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...larCity_1Q15_Earnings_Presentation_FINAL2.pdf - stock seems to be reacting positively.

Bah spoke too soon. down again

I sure was hoping that they would announce 2016 targets. I guess with a new CFO that certainly was up in the air. I love their new value metric of Unlevered Retained Value. *hoping for 2016 guidance please.

Conference call Just started: I will try to blog important questions. Lyndon Going over details now but they seem pretty close to what is on the slides so far.

Installed a Commercial Project in 3 days instead of the 20 It would have taken without their new commercial mounting hardware (tonga Talking)
They expect to see results from commercial in q3 and q4.

5-10 years SCTY will install a battery by default on all solar installs.

The backup generator market is actually bigger than solar with around 3-5 percent residential penetration (peter talking I think)

Next year SCTY will offer 0 down off grid in Hawaii but peter thinks going off grid is the result of bad policy and should never be needed with good policy.

Brad Buss

Nailling down 2016 Financing Now. New 500 million aggregation facility is much more flexible. Get to draw down cash at installation which is 90 days faster than currently

Will soon have all off their offering be investment grade but can not talk much about it because their new ABS is close to being completed.

Q1 deployments expected to generate 11 percent ROI over life of contract. In one year the projects deployed this quarter will generate cash of 5 Million on projects deployed .

Net retained value- Old retained value-all debt = new net retained value.

Currently sitting on 2.7 billion - If they stopped booking contracts at end of quarter the net cash flows after paying off debt would be worth 2.7 billion to equity markets.

Targeting 180 MW q2 installation which will be a record.

2nd half of 2015 will have a significant MW deployment ramp.

Q&A session.

Q1. Patrick (credit susse) Congrats on quarter thanks for the new metrics very helpful. How should we think about the evoulution of those numbers the 11 percent Ir giving the geogrphic mix of q2,

We are not looking to forecast that right now (b.buss)

How should we htink of the hurdle rate for entering new rates, on arizona have they offset your growth plans or are new markets going to offset that.

When we look at new markets we look at the economic value for the region. It needs to be cash flow positive on day one.

Commercial IRR will be in the 20 percent range

In arizona we are not growing and have moved some of our operations to other states. We are suing snp right now for them using their monopoly strength to kill the market, Once that is cleared up we will move back into that market but right now we are allocating those resources to other regions.l

Brian lee Goldman sachs

Kudos on new metrics, How will the debt cost assumptions with your 4.5 percent change, (missed first part of question)

brad,
wow alot of questions , again I dont want to forcast these metrics.

Lyndon You can pick some of it up off the Retained value if the retained value is going up the IRR should be going up so that is something you can look at in the future but we dont want to forcast it.

brad, on the 4.5 percent we feel it is very conservative as every 6 months we have seen our financing cost drop it is really our cost and cost of financing that we our outpacing our competitors and I think that will continue to be the case.

Goldman, Follow on volumes if you can talk about your operation capacity and how it has grown I think you had targeted 1 gig by the end of the year how is that coming , He thought they might have guided higher on q2 to hit numbers.

Lyndon - let me clarify that it is not 1 gig residential it is 920-1 gig commercial and residential

tonga- On commercial things are tracking nicely I think we will see a lot of progress on q3 and q4 based on where projects are now.

On residential you dont want to scale to quickly ahead of when you need to because you increase you cost but we have great formulas that help us predict the time we need to hire installers so they are ready to be trained in time to install the projects and we are very confident on how this process works.

Questions form roth

What were MW deployed in q1,

143, you can always find that in the ~tables

When can you make a distribution to investors due to your billy bad ass financing ( my words)

Brad buss, I have a dream , No , with the growth rate we have we will plow all money back into the company for the forseable future in my view.

Chris(BOA) Hi thanks, I ahve a couple, First on CA, Now that they are collapsing the tiers some of your earliest customers might be underwater based on new rates and escalators.

most of our ca pricing is in the 15/c pricing so historically we are protected from these type of changes.

Lyndon- This is actually the second time in 3 years they have changed the rate structure,

q. Given the troble you have seen in arizona and the international markets do you plan on expanding sooner rather than later,

Lyndon- We are actually very bullish on US market and see afuture where the grid is two way and consumers are providing a service to the utilities, Arizona is challenging for us because they are doing what ever they can to prevent consumers from benefiting from solar, In markets like that we will fight the fight, having said that we have been thinking about expanding internally in the next year or two ( he jokes they have said that for 8 years)
No urgency to expand internationally , just to be clear we are offering micro grids overseas,

Duece bank. You talk about this 5k battery system , when do you think you can offer a system for customer in the US market for base load storage,

Sorry I dont think I understand your question,

What price point do you need to see for a broader adoption of storage to release it beyond just a backup,

a. I think the market structures have to evlovle, Demand response, time of use , I think the economics are kind of their now if the right market constructs in place.

lyndon, There is a great blog post peter right that I recommend everyone read that there is no incentive for the Utilties to want distributed solar and the real way they make money is new capacity,

Peter. I will say our battery demand has been way beyond expectation

question (something about mypower)

Bookings are much higher in Mypower right now then installs because of how long it takes the backlog to filter through.

q. Robert baird,

Looks like a large portions of the 1.07 a watt is coming from renewal years, can you break down the 1.07 on the original contract vs renewal,

Brad, Its not a number we are looking to seperate but we are thinking that value roughl comes to 2/3 for contracts and 1/3 for renewall.

q. will you get grandfathered in for net metering laws, or is it state by state.

lyndon, Yes we will be grandfathered in , Peter, well it has been state by state but so far all have been grandfathered,

question (new person ) Of the 920-1000 deployment this year how much will be commerical.

lyndon it has always been around an 80-20 and we expect the commercial to be in the low teens.

question (Could not tell)
question , last question on myupower , since you guys have launced the product have you seen more competition on the loan side of it are you seeing competitors do the same.

Lyndon they strategy has never been to lead by financials , Our focus is differentiating cost and services but that being said we are not seeing much competition with mypower.

Question about yield co , I am going to stop this because the questions have lost quality along with my typing .. I will clean this up a little later.

Last edited:
Blake, thanks for transcription!

CFO also said powerwall is seeing "off the charts" demand, more then anticipated. He also said Solarcity may grow faster if ITC is not extended.

CTO Peter Rive said they already have micro grids set up internationally and are seeing strong demand in general. CTO also noted that California is pay $190 per kW year, potentially more then the $10 per kW month mentioned in Greentech article. 50/50 cut with customer already built into the customers contract right now. Peter also noted the powerwall is a two man lift and there are handles alread imbedded within the powerwall for this lift and installation onto a wall.

CFO said they hired 1300 people in Q1 or 433 new employees/month. So at total at the end of Q1 ~10250 employees.

CEO is very pleased that total installation costs stayed flat as they carried more overhead then installed. COO Tanguy Serra noted they are hiring and developing capacity in a just-in-time process to not get ahead of deployment growth with costs. A whole sophistacated algorithm to hire and grow capacity in balance.

Also, big negotiations on aggregation and capital stream already being conducted for 2016. Big ABS offering on its way soon.

overall, beat on top and bottom. Company record bookings at 237MWs. Contracts grew by 1.2bln well over the $800mln inQ4. Prospects into the future are good.

Potential areas to track: Arizona SRP lawsuit. Right now in discovery process, no court date set yet. However, as soon as the case is settled, Lyndon Rive said they will continue the growth in Arizona.
California rate change will have a positive effect on growing solarcity's market.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.