Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SolarEdge Monitoring w/Tesla Solar Panels (Using GWY10 Zigbee Gateway)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for the lengthy and super technical first post, but Tesla energy has been completely clueless regarding this, and SolarEdge is telling me that there's nothing they can do on their end.

I had solar installed through Tesla last week. The install went alright with a few minor hiccups that local management is helping me fix. For some reason, they didn't install a powerblaster, which means I have zero info about load monitoring (Trying to get this fixed). But mainly, I want to be able to access the SolarEdge monitoring on my panels since it's MUCH more granular than the Tesla app. Here's where I'm at:

1) I contacted SolarEdge and got them to add me as a user on the site. I can see the site, see that there is a system there, but it doesn't show any information about what the site is producing.

2) The inverter is communicating over Zigbee to the "Solarcity" GWY10 Gateway. The gateway is online, connected to the inverter, and connected to Tesla's monitoring platform

3) The Tesla app shows site production, but the info is so basic it really doesn't help me. I want to see what each panel is producing so I can optimize for shading and other issues.

4) I've worked with Solarcity to troubleshoot the lack of connectivity to their monitoring, and the issue seems to be that while the inverter is connected to SolarCity/Tesla, it's NOT connected to them. My guess is that the GWY hub is somehow tunneling the connection with a proxy or VPN so that the inverter can talk to their monitoring server, but not solaredge's server.

5) The inverter server setting seems to be set to prod2.solaredge.com, communicating on port 22222. I haven't tried changing this, however it's possible that the old server was prod.solaredge.com or the port has changed, and the Gwy10 box hasn't been updated to pass communication to the new server.

6) Tesla wants nothing to do with this. They've threatened everything from breach of contract if I try to get this working, to voiding my warranty. They say that they have NOTHING to do with this monitoring, and they don't support it, and all they can do is "Give me access", although Solaredge has already done that, so there's nothing to give me access to. I've tried explaining that if they have a mechanism to give me access, clearly the access they give me is supposed to serve some purpose (the inverter should be communicating data to Solaredge). Why would they have a way to give me access to a system that isn't connected to my inverter because they don't support it?

7) Another possibility, which I've avoided exploring because I don't know what will happen on the Tesla side, is that I can link the inverter through my internet using Ethernet. I'm technical enough that I can run a Cat6 cable from my switch, crimp an RJ45 or wire it directly if that's what I need to do) but I'm unsure what will happen to the Tesla monitoring if I do that. I can only have the inverter set to communicate on Zigbee OR LAN, not both. My guess, though obviuosly I don't know this for sure, is that if I disconnect Zigbee and switch the inverter over to LAN communication, the tesla app isn't going to get monitoring data anymore. That's not a HUGE issue, except this is a rental system, so Tesla is probably going to freak out if I do that and they lose connection to the system. I'd like to find a way to leave the GWY10 in place, but remove their restriction for communication, but I don't know how to get into the config settings or reflash the GWY10 to change anything on it. Does anyone have experience with this?

Hope someone can help!

How do you even get logged in to the SolarEdge site? This may be the wrong site (the support site) but I can’t get any browser to even respond on the www.solaredge.com site so I call them directly when I need them to look at something.

They can definitely access my inverter, is there other setup that would need to be done in order to have the detailed stats working? I’ve also heard of this but never pursued it.

I'm having the exact same problem here in CT. I"ve been fighting with Tesla to resolve access to the Solar Edge Monitoring app for months to no avail. I have access to the Solar Edge app but it's stuck on July 6, 2019. It's definitely a communication problem as you describe and Tesla has no interest in fixing it as they want everyone using their app that does not panel detail. Very frustrating.

I asked Tesla for access to the SolarEdge monitoring platform in August (July install) and tech support configured everything within an hour for me. I am using the same exact GWY10 and everything is working perfectly. Since then I have purchased to powerwalls where I technically don't need the GWY10. The only reason I keep it plugged in is the inverter is communicating thru the GWY10 to the SolarEdge monitoring platform. I get an update on the Solaredge app everything 15 minutes or so and realtime updates on the Tesla app with the powerwalls.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
I asked both Tesla and SolarEdge to give me access to the solar edge monitoring website. After about a month the SolarEdge people gave me access and now I can see per panel production. Tesla didn't want to help at all. And I found that one of my panels is not producing anything but Tesla has been saying everything is fine for months. With this new info I'm finally able to get Tesla to come out and fix the one panel.

Had the same issue.. ran an Ethernet cable directly to the solaredge inverter and the solaredge monitoring now works. I use the (crappy) Tesla app to monitor power usage and the Solaredge app for production monitoring. Production monitoring no longer works in the Tesla app.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
Anyone been able to get access to create a 'layout' in the Solaredge app? I can see panel level metrics but I don't have access to create a layout. So it's a pain to see exactly which panels are being shaded. I'm stuck in the middle since Tesla won't help create a layout, nor will they provide admin access.

Thanks!

No the inverter talks to the Tesla little black box gateway. I had the SolarEdge monitoring before the Powerwalls were install. On the SE there should be something the S_OK if its connected to their monitoring/servers.
What ‘Tesla’ little black box? The flat black gateway IS the Solar Edge gateway that the inverter talks to and is the only thing the inverter talks to.

You may not need it for overall numbers when you have a TEG but you do if you want anyone to remotely access your SolarEdge inverter.

No the inverter talks to the Tesla little black box gateway. I had the SolarEdge monitoring before the Powerwalls were install. On the SE there should be something the S_OK if its connected to their monitoring/servers.
Mine has been disconnected from solar edge servers for two weeks now. Solar edge app won’t update and the inverter just says _OK as opposed to S_OK. Any suggestions how to fix this? I don’t trust Tesla’s data vs solar edge.

Mine has been disconnected from solar edge servers for two weeks now. Solar edge app won’t update and the inverter just says _OK as opposed to S_OK. Any suggestions how to fix this? I don’t trust Tesla’s data vs solar edge.
Mine has been disconnected since November 23rd. I typically just reboot my black box and it reconnects. I guess I need to go out to my inverter and reboot it for it to reconnect this time

My SolarEdge app stopped getting data sometime around Nov. 23 as well. I rebooted the inverter and had S_OK until data feed to SolarEdge was again turned off on 11/29 at 1:45am. Not sure if it’s Tesla cutting SolarEdge connection or inverter issue, my guess is Tesla. :(

My SE inverter and app have continued to work fine, but my system is not connected with Tesla, so sounds like it could be Tesla interfering with communication to SE servers.
Usually I can just power cycle the GWY10 and it will pick up the Solar Edge servers again. When it dropped on the 23rd of no longer would reconnect power cycling the Zigbee box. I also have powerwalls so that gateway is at least more detailed then the solar only GWY10