Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sold my '19 model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tend to buy and sell cars very frequently. My wife's father and brother were Ford dealers so she grew up accustomed to there being a new car in the garage every few months. I read a WSJ article recently reporting that used car values have risen due to the post lock down buying boom. I have also been following Carvana's business model and decided to see what they would pay for my '19 M3 standard range. Input the data - white, 19" wheels with 3200 miles. They replied with an offer of $39,000 or $1,300 more than I paid for the car last year not counting the $1,875 tax credit. I decided I would sell the M3 and buy my 3rd Leaf knowing full well that the Leaf is certainly not comparable to Tesla but will serve my purpose of having an EV for around town driving. During final negotiations with the Nissan sales manager who I bought my previous Leafs from I asked if he had any interest in my M3, and he agreed to match the Carvana $39k on trade which saved me $900 in sales tax. So for a 2020 Leaf S MSRP $34,610 my net cost was $20.150.

Uhh Leafs are known to have terrible resale value.

This was from 2018, but still:
The all-electric Nissan Leaf suffered a 71.7 percent decline in value over five years
Last month article:
According to a new study, Tesla Model 3 retains almost 90% of its value over three years, which is five times better than other electric vehicles

I don't think that was a great financial decision for an inferior car with horrible depreciation, but I guess to each his own.

I think I understand a bit more what happened, but not sure why OP didnt just say so. OP bought a SR car, then started posting about "not getting range promised) in October of this year. Likely, OP got tired of it, and decided to get a car with a guessometer vs the range meter the tesla has.

It would have made more sense (and likely been better received) if OP had said:

================================

"I am tired of stressing about the range on this car, even though it is not effecting me, it makes me unhappy. The car retained good value anyway, even though I dont like it anymore, so I bought a different EV".

================================

I still would wonder why people feel the need to share stuff like that, because its basically "im outta here" but it would have made more sense to say "im unhappy with this car" than it does to say ' i sold this car because somehow its worth more than i paid for it, and got this other EV which is slower, and has worse range".

Actually you get such a huge discount on the car itself (as referenced $34k msrp vs $20k net cost), the "depreciation" has mostly been taken care of. seems like ~2yr old leafs go for 15-16k or something last I looked at used EVs, which isn't that far off from brand new @ 20k .. doesn't seem like a terrible decision if you 1. don't mind driving a non-tesla and 2. want to reduce your overall capital commitment to a vehicle.

Reactions: cgiGuy and DanCar
I tend to buy and sell cars very frequently. My wife's father and brother were Ford dealers so she grew up accustomed to there being a new car in the garage every few months. I read a WSJ article recently reporting that used car values have risen due to the post lock down buying boom. I have also been following Carvana's business model and decided to see what they would pay for my '19 M3 standard range. Input the data - white, 19" wheels with 3200 miles. They replied with an offer of $39,000 or $1,300 more than I paid for the car last year not counting the $1,875 tax credit. I decided I would sell the M3 and buy my 3rd Leaf knowing full well that the Leaf is certainly not comparable to Tesla but will serve my purpose of having an EV for around town driving. During final negotiations with the Nissan sales manager who I bought my previous Leafs from I asked if he had any interest in my M3, and he agreed to match the Carvana $39k on trade which saved me $900 in sales tax. So for a 2020 Leaf S MSRP $34,610 my net cost was $20.150.

So your 2019 Tesla not only kept its value, it increased in value! When every other car depreciates in value the minute you drive it off the lot. NICE!!!!