Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sold my Model S after 5.5 years...moving on

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree on leasing. I leased a Volt back in 2012 and the following year they dropped the retail price $5000. If I’d bought that I’d lost my butt on resale. I’ll never buy this type vehicle. Just think if someone figures out how to build batteries for 1/2 the price at twice the range. Yours would be near worthless to resell.

I leased a Volt back in ‘12 also. If I had purchased that instead of leasing, I’d probably still be driving it today.

Hi!

What really bothers me even more than Tesla's not telling me is that they have been downright not forthcoming when it comes to the whole battery warranty.

We purchased our S85 in 2014 from a previous owner's widow; it was one of his nine cars--no kidding--and had 1400 miles on it after a year. We now have 100,00+ miles on it and are still enjoying it when we're not sequestered here in CT. Several years ago, the battery failed. My wife came downstairs in the AM and the car was totally dead. Prior to that we had a connector problem that required battery servicing, but this time it was a full replacement. I was first told that we'd be getting a new battery, but they had to send the old one back to Fremont. That took three or four _weeks_! Whether or not the battery was new, repaired, or refurbished, I could never find out. I'm assuming it was refurbished. So, when I started noticing a decided drop in the ability to charge, which was roughly a 10-15% loss in range, I complained. No information that was useful was forthcoming.

So, here's my beef: only by reading this and similar blogs did I "discover" what had happened, after which and when confronted, did the SC 'fess up to say that yes, the charging has been capped. They said it was because I was supercharging, despite my having cleared that regular supercharging was not a problem, according to the SC some five years ago!.

The other beef? The amount of customer time wasted trying to find out and figure out what is going on is, in my book, an incredible time-waster and something for which I should be duly compensated. I'm not kidding. This is the same kind of nonsense that happens with computers or cell phones when the manufacturer elects to make a change or has a bug and the customer is left to figure it out on his own. That's a measure of product quality, or lack thereof. This is not useful in the last, although I will shyly admit that I do like trying to figure out some things; this is not one of them, however.

We've taken four trips around the US (our daughter lives in CA); we'll do it again and we may very well do it in winter. Loss of range is a new kind of "range anxiety."

Is there a model year or VIN after which the crippling did not take place? I'd like to know for planning purposes, especially if I want to do another road trip around the US.

Oh, and I understand that if you elect to upgrade your MCU or choose 4G, then you may have crippled function with the radio. I think most customers buy on the basis that the product will not be devalued by the manufacturer after the sale. I want to know more about the pending lawsuit.

We love the Tesla, still own some of their stock, plan to buy another, but crippling function is not my idea of honesty, even when 'fessed up to.

Wow. I just stumbled on to this topic and man oh man how it exploded.

We have the "fanboys" who go after anyone pointing out the ever-mounting stress/problems of owning a Tesla. (I was an early adopter in 2012 and bought my second one in 2016 - but never wanted to become the hair-on-fire crazed fanboy - admittedly hard to avoid) We have the "Einsteins" who post the equations, factoids, and theories to show the rest of us how stupid we are (I spent 40 years working engineering research and development for a global aerospace company loving almost every minute except when the one-ups would stop a project with their uncontrollable urge to proselytize) We have the climate snobs who just emote the "I am better than everyone because I have a Tesla carbon footprint." You know THAT will always start a climate argument bunny trail which one poster called a "staring at our naval" exercise. Tesla was a company I once loved. The OP expresses angst that many have. For many reasons. Service sinking. Promises not met. Changes cutting performance. I like the V8 to V6 example posted. I like the fellow who is considering the new Corvette. So am I. I owned 5 new Corvettes from 1995-2009 and loved the service commitment by Chev always followed up. OR I may drive my MS P100D until it drops. I cannot take too many other disappointments from Tesla's support. (yeah, I paid for the FSD after the salesman said Elon promised 2016 and for sure 2017 - my dumbness for investing on "the come line") Now that I probably made EVERYONE mad for one reason or another I will hunker down and wait for the beating. The OP made a good point. The original topic is interesting when taken along with ongoing Tesla experiences. Everyone stay healthy. Cars lose importance when so many people are dying in the "hotspots", Peace.

I 'member back when "the anointed" intellectuals were screeching their head off about global cooling in the 70's.

Then it became global warming. [read: the anointed got it wrong but rather than admit their mistake, they doubled down]

Then it became "climate change". [read: the anointed got it wrong but rather than admit their mistake, they doubled down]

No one was "screeching their heads off about global cooling in the 70's", other than a few sensationalist editors writing headlines. A theory was put forward regarding increasing sun blocking emissions that might cause cooling. Regulation lead to reduced emissions and those concerns were alleviated. What you try to claim as some sort of failure of science was in fact the exact opposite.
Global warming and climate change are simply different terms for the same thing. Climate change is used to encompass the various changes the world will see, which can include localized cooling even in the face of global temperature increases. There was no mistake to admit, the science remains the same.

Reactions: mthoring
I am seeing Supercharging rates of 28kW to 30kW at Version 3 Superchargers on my 2015 MS85D (Idaho Springs & Lakewood Colorado) at these rates it makes road trips nearly impossible. If I drive for 3 hours at an average speed of 70mph for 210 miles and then need to charge back that 210 miles. It will take 2+ hours at that rate to charge that back, does not seem an efficient use of time.

Wow, so we have a complaint about an original Signature MS, a car built before the first Supercharger ever saw the light of day, from someone who appears to have purchased it used . . . and who has never paid a dime to Supercharge, ever.

And he's still charging at nearly 200 mph on a cold battery.

For free.

Take your complaint to someone who might listen, perhaps your barber.

Just wow.

Here, try this: Find someone with an eight-year old Lexus, MBZ, BMW, or Audi and ask them, "Where do you go to get your free gas?"

I'm not entirely sure where you're going with this. But yes it's all true I did buy a used model S whether I have paid for super charging or not is irrelevant. The car came with free supercharging and that's one of the reasons why I bought it. And not for not an insignificant amount of money I might add but I don't see the harm in expecting the car to perform and work as advertised and as bought. Normal wear and tear notwithstanding and there is performance deterioration, that's the nature of a battery electric car. But to have the goal posts moved by Tesla? that's different.

Last edited:
I am seeing Supercharging rates of 28kW to 30kW at Version 3 Superchargers on my 2015 MS85D (Idaho Springs & Lakewood Colorado) at these rates it makes road trips nearly impossible. If I drive for 3 hours at an average speed of 70mph for 210 miles and then need to charge back that 210 miles. It will take 2+ hours at that rate to charge that back, does not seem an efficient use of time.

If it’s truly that low in normal temperatures at low state of charge and only use supercharging for the intended use of long trips only, that seems like an issue worth bringing to their attention.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: First EV
Thanks everyone, I've just wasted an amazing 2 hours reading this debate. What is there to say that hasn't already been said?

It's sad to come face to face with broken promises and dreams. "Drive free on the sun forever", "Fast or Free". I did not see this yet, but the battery issue was potentially solved in 2014 with the pack swap station at Harris Ranch. By the numbers, the swap station is now cheaper than paying for supercharging.

Without getting into the math, think about the possibility. Harris Ranch proved a < 5 minute fillup, for a reasonable cost. They could charge both batteries at a reliable safe L2 charge rate, for less than the cost of today's supercharging fees. Tesla stated if the customer kept the swap pack, and didn't return the original, could keep it, pay a reasonable prorated difference in the available capacity. Sounds like a solution to the pack degradation complaint to me.

2020 - That same station could be extended to speed warranty refurbs, pack upgrades. Imagine a customer who can drive thru and get billed later for a 85 to 100 pack upgrade? Or, drop off the warranty issue pack, get a temporary loaner one for 3-4 weeks. Today a customer has to schedule an appointment 6-8 weeks out, leave their car at the shop for 3-6 weeks. While some get loaners, or uber, etc. Just pure cost efficiency of battery repair, upgrade, or fill up , Harris Ranch makes business sense vs a shop.

Reactions: First EV
I've loved my S85, but when Tesla with no explanation or notice capped my supercharging speed to less than half the former speed with a software update almost a year ago as has been done to most if not all older cars. that was it for me. My car is now a city car. Long trips are not practical when it takes 90+ minutes to supercharge. My car only had 40k miles on it when this was done.

You can peruse the chargegate threads, all 500+ pages of them, for the reason why Tesla is doing this but the bottom line is that it's to avoid battery failures during the warranty period. The equivalent would be for GM to disable 4 cylinders in your Corvette via an unannounced software update to reduce engine failures under warranty.

I've loved my Tesla and hope to be back someday when Tesla can guarantee reasonable charge rates for the life of the battery pack. Car is sold and new car is in the garage. Not going to get into what I got because I don't want to turn this thread into a Tesla superfan hatefest but it's not an EV.
Sorry to see you go.
Last year, on drive from CA to NY in my 2015 S85D, the DC converter failed outside Pittsburgh, necessitating slow charge only on the rest of the trip. Not sure SC speeds have subsequently been reduced, but planning on a Y in the next couple months. We also have a dualmotor M3. Hope you[ll be back to TSLA soon.

• Disagree
Reactions: InternetDude
I've loved my S85, but when Tesla with no explanation or notice capped my supercharging speed to less than half the former speed with a software update almost a year ago as has been done to most if not all older cars. that was it for me. My car is now a city car. Long trips are not practical when it takes 90+ minutes to supercharge. My car only had 40k miles on it when this was done.

You can peruse the chargegate threads, all 500+ pages of them, for the reason why Tesla is doing this but the bottom line is that it's to avoid battery failures during the warranty period. The equivalent would be for GM to disable 4 cylinders in your Corvette via an unannounced software update to reduce engine failures under warranty.

I've loved my Tesla and hope to be back someday when Tesla can guarantee reasonable charge rates for the life of the battery pack. Car is sold and new car is in the garage. Not going to get into what I got because I don't want to turn this thread into a Tesla superfan hatefest but it's not an EV.

it’s OK, I know what you bought, because it’s what I would’ve gotten if Tesla S’ did not exist: an Audi RS seven. lol

If you can afford an S and you are a surgeon you can afford to charge at home ... I don't understand the whole supercharging BS. I have my own private gas station which charges my car every night for "free" (I do have solar). I might charge 1-2 times per month at a supercharging station just to believe that Tesla is giving me something for free ... :)

The downgrades take charge speed away, but they also take away range and horsepower so you can no longer distance-trip in your Tesla because it doesn't go as far and you spend 3 times longer charging on the road where you can't home-charge. And every day, right out of your garage, the car is permanently slower. The Tesla Grin gets tarnished when stoplights aren't as fun as they used to be.

So you can afford a P100D but now it charges slower than an old S40, accelerates slower than a 75D, and has less range than a 60D. Not from weaqr and tear or damage, but from intentionally imposed artificial performance limitations.

People don't like the Downgrades Tesla is making because they take away things that we explicitly bought.

Sorry to hear about the troubles. As MXLRplus says, life to short for the hassle. Half of our driving has been on the road with our Model X. I think of this issue often and always leave out with full battery so to skip a charger. Charge at AC destination as often as we can but, I know the days are numbered. Looking in the future on the next purchase, I flip flop between the 3 performance or the S performance (5 + years from now). One nail in the coffin for the S is knowing throttling may happen. It's going to be interesting to see what if anything happens to the Model 3 or Y as the years go on. Wish the best in your travels with the new vehicle. Fully understand the decision.
I too totally understand that decision! When I bought an X100 in 2018 I was happy to be dealing with a car company that was "customer oriented". Well, turns out car people are, finally, just car people and they're all the same "lowlifes".

Reactions: InternetDude
Yes you have. You needed to inject "Still" into that statement because denial like this is how you cope with seeing proof every single time.

The only thing people have shown for the capped Model 3 Supercharging speed is a BJorn video where he says he has heard a rumor that someone had their Supercharging speed capped. That isn't evidence, or proof, of capping.

And I haven't seen anything about Ravens...

I am new to the group and Tesla. Got my S long range model last December. Driven about 2000 miles. Bit of a learning curve but no complaints. The discussion about reduced charging rates in an older model raised a question in my mind. How much does it now cost to replace the battery pack in an older Tesla? Do we anticipate the price coming down.

Status
Not open for further replies.