Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sold my MYSR for $15k profit and getting MYLR for same price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After they open Austin factory prices of used Teslas will go down for sure. And if they introduce more range MY model with other upgrades then even current used MYLR will take big price drop hit.
They will not introduce new MCU3, highlights and other things with current battery range. It will make confusion in resale market
But i guess MYSR will still have good resale value.

After they open Austin factory prices of used Teslas will go down for sure. And if they introduce more range MY model with other upgrades then even current used MYLR will take big price drop hit.
They will not introduce new MCU3, highlights and other things with current battery range. It will make confusion in resale market
It will be a fair amount of time from "opening" it to ramping it up to full production, I would imagine. I don't anticipate that affecting the market until at least June, and I am planning to take delivery around March, depending on Gov Inslee's urgency.

Reactions: preilly44
Tried looking at the order page with several different browsers and once from my phone connected to cellular data. None of those order pages would show any estimated delivery date like they used to.
I mean the Washington State incentives.

When the tax credit returned lawmakers didn't get around to it until the very end of the session (late April) and the credit didn't go live until Aug 1st, so May/June/July guys were screwed over. I actually had a Model 3 SR+ on order for late July delivery and got Tesla to push it a couple days into Aug so I could get the credit.

This new inventive is MUCH larger and I expect a lot of fighting over it in some way (either income limits, sales price limits, etc) and would not be surprised if we didn't see it get passed late February or late April, if it gets passed. In that case it might start mid or late summer just like the tax credit return did....

May would be an optimistic date if it just sails through with support. Summer or later would be likely if they fight for a few months.

• Informative
Reactions: PNWLeccy
Wow, this is really tempting. A few things would have to happen timing wise, including the return of the federal tax credit. If it did I'd basically be able to do the switch for "free". Setting all those details aside for now, what would be better (and worse) about the LR vs the SR?

Range: 330 vs 244
Charge rate not limited to 32 amps
AWD vs RWD
Biodefense on new LR
0-60 4.8 vs 5.3 seconds
newer battery technology?
center console new style vs piano black

Anything to add to the list, plus or minus?

sold our 21 MY LRAWD with 14k miles, base everything (white ext, black int) no fsd no hitch for $63,500 to a dealer a month ago and upgraded to a MYP for $62,990 before the recent price increase.
It is a good time to be a seller but bad time to be a buyer unless you can wait.

I'm not sure why somebody downvoted you, because that's exactly what's going to happen. Granted it the resale value of Model Y's will not immediately fall off a cliff, but once Austin is open, resale value is going to plummet over the next year or two as Tesla fills the year-long backlog of orders. Let's be real for a minute, what makes the resale value of a current used Model Y so high right now? Demand GREATLY overwhelms supply. All Model Y's sold in the US were made at the same factory in Freemont, CA and they can only make so many regardless of component/chip supply. When Austin comes online, not only will supply double but I have no doubt Austin is being built to scale as large as possible to address future demand. Isn't the entire reason why Tesla is valued at $1T right now.. because they are projected to sell several millions of these cars annually?

When the new factories are online and Telsa is pumping out 2-3 million 3/Y's annually.. and supply has finally caught up with demand.. nobody is going to be paying more for a used Model Y than a new one. I would not be surprised at all to see the value of my year old MYSR go from its current high of $58K.. to a future low of $30K in the next 18-24 months. After all that would be the normal depreciation curve of a 3-year-old vehicle.. (including Tesla) before this recent car market craziness.

Anybody purchasing a new or used vehicle right now.. is going to be in for quite a nasty treat in the next two years or so. These sky-high valuations are going to prove very temporary. That includes my household as we have purchased two new vehicles in just the past 10 months.

Wow, this is really tempting. A few things would have to happen timing wise, including the return of the federal tax credit. If it did I'd basically be able to do the switch for "free". Setting all those details aside for now, what would be better (and worse) about the LR vs the SR?

Range: 330 vs 244
Charge rate not limited to 32 amps
AWD vs RWD
Biodefense on new LR
0-60 4.8 vs 5.3 seconds
newer battery technology?
center console new style vs piano black

Anything to add to the list, plus or minus?
This is what's keeping me from selling my MYSR right now & immediately upgrading to 2022 MYP in the next month? Granted im pretty much only interested in upgrading to the MYP, but if I did just that.. to answer your question.. what would be better or worst right now?

Here are my predictions based on *my* real-life driving habits and usage:

Acceleration: MAJOR upgrade
Range: Noticeable upgrade
Charging speed: MAJOR upgrade
Drivetrain & Traction: Noticeable upgrade
Wheels: Noticeable upgrade
Biodefense: unnoticeable upgrade
Battery tech: unnoticeable upgrade
Brakes: unnoticeable upgrade
Exterior: Noticeable upgrade
Interior: unnoticeable upgrade
Headlights: Noticeable upgrade
Comfort & Ride quality: Noticeable downgrade
Monthly Car Payment: MAJOR downgrade lol

As you can imagine I've done my best to pick out what actual *real-world* differences I expect to see between my 2021 MYSR and a new 2022 MYP. The 3 things that immediately jump out of the list.. are 1) Acceleration & 2) Charging speeds are going to be absolutely HUGE upgrades!! Not only will the 0-60 basically push my eyeballs back into my socket, but because I have a 60A Tesla wall connector at home my charging speeds jump 50% from 32A to 48A!! If I pull into the garage with an empty battery, I will be able to add almost 50 miles of range per hour using that 48A charging speed. Charging at Superchargers should also be faster as the SR is limited to a max charging rate of 170kW.. while the MYLR and MYP can charge at rates up to 250kW (and possibly more, with future updates). 3) The big negative to all this is of course there will be a major increase in my monthly car payment. I expect my monthly payment to increase by about $150 per month (from $676 to $830).

I also want to explain why I listed things like range, drivetrain/traction/ wheels, battery, exterior & headlights as noticeable upgrades, but not major ones. I've driven 13K miles on my car over the past year, and know it very well. If I charge up daily to 90%, that gives means I leave the house daily with about 200 miles of "real world" range. While I certainly appreciate the MYLR & MYP both have a 40-50% larger battery, the reality is how many times am I driving over 200 miles in a single day? Pretty much never. In other words, when will I actually use this "extra" range from the 40-50% bigger battery? The real answer is probably only on long highway trips over 300 miles or so. Think about it this way, if you are driving 300 miles in an MYSR you will need to stop and charge up at least once. If you are driving 300 miles in an MYLR or MYP.. guess what.. you will STILL need to stop & charge up at least once. Unless I'm missing something here the extra battery will really only change the number of times I need to stop & charge on very long highway drives.. and that's just not something I *personally* do often. Maybe once every other month or so. If you are the type of person up/down the highway every weekend.. then I can certainly understand why the bigger battery in the MYLR & MYP are extremely attractive to you.

As for the other things: All Tesla's are RWD biased.. meaning AWD doesn't 'activate' until the rear wheels start to lose traction. I can tell you straight up after driving 13K miles over the past year, I can't remember ever losing traction with my RWD MYSR. I live in the DC area and it's very rare that we even get snow anymore, so I don't expect AWD to change anything about the vehicle. I will definitely notice the awesome looking 21" Ultraturbine wheels.. but in addition to the great looks.. I will definitely notice stiffer, rougher ride from the bigger wheels and thin tires. Speaking of tires, those 21" tires will also be more expensive.. something you will definitely notice every 25K miles when its time to replace them.

I will definitely notice the exterior changes of the MYP, it does look the best of all the MY versions. It sits 10mm lower, has a nice CF spoiler, bigger wheels & brakes which have huge red calipers.. it certainly looks more aggressive! I honestly don't think anyone will ever notice the biodefense HEPA filter, battery tech, or interior changes. From every angle, all of these things will *appear* exactly the same to someone inside the cabin.

Finally, the headlights.. as we've all seen the matrix LED headlights only come on the Performance version of the MY and are definitely capable of some cool stuff (like spelling out the words Tesla). Something not talked about is the new Infrastructure Bill recently passed by Congress allows the US Dept of Transportation to finally make use of these cool matrix LED features. Unfortunately, the DoT still has not made any changes that will allow manufacturers to legally enable these features in the US. Whereas in Europe cars with these matrix LED lights are allowed to use those advanced features. Here's a video showing what's possible with these new matrix LED lights:

As far as the other stuff like the Austin production & build quality, improved paint, 4860 battery cells, and of course any new EV tax credit which would be applicable to Tesla's. Well.. that's the other part of the equation and why I'm still hesitant to pull the trigger. I would feel like an idiot to have purchased two Teslas in less than one year.. basically spent $120,000 in Tesla purchases to end up with two vehicles both built at the old factory in Fremont CA, both still dealing with old Q/A issues and neither receiving any tax incentives. At a minimum Austin built cars should be of much higher quality because of lessons learned from the MY production process at Freemont and Shanghai. Austin should have the latest manufacturing equipment and assembly processes which *should* produce a better-built vehicle. Especially the paint. That said.. it's still all woulda, coulda, shoulda and there is nobody who knows exactly when Austin will be online and at mass production.. OR if the new tax credit will ever get passed. So while those things do carry weight, not even Elon himself can give you an accurate answer. It's just not worth worrying about right now.

This is what's keeping me from selling my MYSR right now & immediately upgrading to 2022 MYP in the next month? Granted im pretty much only interested in upgrading to the MYP, but if I did just that.. to answer your question.. what would be better or worst right now?

Here are my predictions based on *my* real-life driving habits and usage:

Acceleration: MAJOR upgrade
Range: Noticeable upgrade
Charging speed: MAJOR upgrade
Drivetrain & Traction: Noticeable upgrade
Wheels: Noticeable upgrade
Biodefense: unnoticeable upgrade
Battery tech: unnoticeable upgrade
Brakes: unnoticeable upgrade
Exterior: Noticeable upgrade
Interior: unnoticeable upgrade
Headlights: Noticeable upgrade
Comfort & Ride quality: Noticeable downgrade
Monthly Car Payment: MAJOR downgrade lol

As you can imagine I've done my best to pick out what actual *real-world* differences I expect to see between my 2021 MYSR and a new 2022 MYP. The 3 things that immediately jump out of the list.. are 1) Acceleration & 2) Charging speeds are going to be absolutely HUGE upgrades!! Not only will the 0-60 basically push my eyeballs back into my socket, but because I have a 60A Tesla wall connector at home my charging speeds jump 50% from 32A to 48A!! If I pull into the garage with an empty battery, I will be able to add almost 50 miles of range per hour using that 48A charging speed. Charging at Superchargers should also be faster as the SR is limited to a max charging rate of 170kW.. while the MYLR and MYP can charge at rates up to 250kW (and possibly more, with future updates). 3) The big negative to all this is of course there will be a major increase in my monthly car payment. I expect my monthly payment to increase by about $150 per month (from $676 to $830).

I also want to explain why I listed things like range, drivetrain/traction/ wheels, battery, exterior & headlights as noticeable upgrades, but not major ones. I've driven 13K miles on my car over the past year, and know it very well. If I charge up daily to 90%, that gives means I leave the house daily with about 200 miles of "real world" range. While I certainly appreciate the MYLR & MYP both have a 40-50% larger battery, the reality is how many times am I driving over 200 miles in a single day? Pretty much never. In other words, when will I actually use this "extra" range from the 40-50% bigger battery? The real answer is probably only on long highway trips over 300 miles or so. Think about it this way, if you are driving 300 miles in an MYSR you will need to stop and charge up at least once. If you are driving 300 miles in an MYLR or MYP.. guess what.. you will STILL need to stop & charge up at least once. Unless I'm missing something here the extra battery will really only change the number of times I need to stop & charge on very long highway drives.. and that's just not something I *personally* do often. Maybe once every other month or so. If you are the type of person up/down the highway every weekend.. then I can certainly understand why the bigger battery in the MYLR & MYP are extremely attractive to you.

As for the other things: All Tesla's are RWD biased.. meaning AWD doesn't 'activate' until the rear wheels start to lose traction. I can tell you straight up after driving 13K miles over the past year, I can't remember ever losing traction with my RWD MYSR. I live in the DC area and it's very rare that we even get snow anymore, so I don't expect AWD to change anything about the vehicle. I will definitely notice the awesome looking 21" Ultraturbine wheels.. but in addition to the great looks.. I will definitely notice stiffer, rougher ride from the bigger wheels and thin tires. Speaking of tires, those 21" tires will also be more expensive.. something you will definitely notice every 25K miles when its time to replace them.

I will definitely notice the exterior changes of the MYP, it does look the best of all the MY versions. It sits 10mm lower, has a nice CF spoiler, bigger wheels & brakes which have huge red calipers.. it certainly looks more aggressive! I honestly don't think anyone will ever notice the biodefense HEPA filter, battery tech, or interior changes. From every angle, all of these things will *appear* exactly the same to someone inside the cabin.

Finally, the headlights.. as we've all seen the matrix LED headlights only come on the Performance version of the MY and are definitely capable of some cool stuff (like spelling out the words Tesla). Something not talked about is the new Infrastructure Bill recently passed by Congress allows the US Dept of Transportation to finally make use of these cool matrix LED features. Unfortunately, the DoT still has not made any changes that will allow manufacturers to legally enable these features in the US. Whereas in Europe cars with these matrix LED lights are allowed to use those advanced features. Here's a video showing what's possible with these new matrix LED lights:

As far as the other stuff like the Austin production & build quality, improved paint, 4860 battery cells, and of course any new EV tax credit which would be applicable to Tesla's. Well.. that's the other part of the equation and why I'm still hesitant to pull the trigger. I would feel like an idiot to have purchased two Teslas in less than one year.. basically spent $120,000 in Tesla purchases to end up with two vehicles both built at the old factory in Fremont CA, both still dealing with old Q/A issues and neither receiving any tax incentives. At a minimum Austin built cars should be of much higher quality because of lessons learned from the MY production process at Freemont and Shanghai. Austin should have the latest manufacturing equipment and assembly processes which *should* produce a better-built vehicle. Especially the paint. That said.. it's still all woulda, coulda, shoulda and there is nobody who knows exactly when Austin will be online and at mass production.. OR if the new tax credit will ever get passed. So while those things do carry weight, not even Elon himself can give you an accurate answer. It's just not worth worrying about right now.

Your points are all valid.

Im taking delivery of my MYLR today, Tesla just called me to prepare.
Sold my MYSR 3 days ago for same price .
I have to pay tax and delivery charge and that is $6000 total.
Now, while i agree that MYSR is great car im getting new car with zero miles,new tires and 2022 model for $6k more.

Even without all upgrades, (larger battery, AWD, faster charging...) i think it is still good deal.
Im going to do soon same thing with my honda accord 2020. Will pay $6k difference to get 2022 model. (no upgrades here).

To bad im missing tax deal, it would be extra $8000 in my pocket.
oh well....

Your points are all valid.

Im taking delivery of my MYLR today, Tesla just called me to prepare.
Sold my MYSR 3 days ago for same price .
I have to pay tax and delivery charge and that is $6000 total.
Now, while i agree that MYSR is great car im getting new car with zero miles,new tires and 2022 model for $6k more.

Even without all upgrades, (larger battery, AWD, faster charging...) i think it is still good deal.
Im going to do soon same thing with my honda accord 2020. Will pay $6k difference to get 2022 model. (no upgrades here).

To bad im missing tax deal, it would be extra $8000 in my pocket.
oh well....
You definitely did the right there. If someone said for $6K I could get a brand new 2022 car, with more range, power, AWD, and faster-charging speeds.. I would extremely hard to resist it. The MYP is like $12K more.. mainly because I really particular about the options.. I want the red paint, white interior, and tow hitch all over again.

I'll be extremely interested to know how much you like the new MYLR. While I'm pretty hell-bent on the MYP + options.. considering I can sell my MYSR for $58K.. there is a strong case to be made for the $6000 upgrade a "basic" MYLR with no options.

Reactions: voltaren