Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sold my MYSR for $15k profit and getting MYLR for same price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You definitely did the right there. If someone said for $6K I could get a brand new 2022 car, with more range, power, AWD, and faster-charging speeds.. I would extremely hard to resist it. The MYP is like $12K more.. mainly because I really particular about the options.. I want the red paint, white interior, and tow hitch all over again.

I'll be extremely interested to know how much you like the new MYLR. While I'm pretty hell-bent on the MYP + options.. considering I can sell my MYSR for $58K.. there is a strong case to be made for the $6000 upgrade a "basic" MYLR with no options.

I doubt MYLR driving will be any better but we will see. I will let you know.
Im also curious how faster it will charge since i charge my car at work.

I love new technology and if i hear new "Austin" model is going to have more upgrades im going to sell this one too if price is right.
My ideal range would be 370 miles, I dont need more

I'm not sure why somebody downvoted you, because that's exactly what's going to happen. Granted it the resale value of Model Y's will not immediately fall off a cliff, but once Austin is open, resale value is going to plummet over the next year or two as Tesla fills the year-long backlog of orders. Let's be real for a minute, what makes the resale value of a current used Model Y so high right now? Demand GREATLY overwhelms supply. All Model Y's sold in the US were made at the same factory in Freemont, CA and they can only make so many regardless of component/chip supply. When Austin comes online, not only will supply double but I have no doubt Austin is being built to scale as large as possible to address future demand. Isn't the entire reason why Tesla is valued at $1T right now.. because they are projected to sell several millions of these cars annually?

When the new factories are online and Telsa is pumping out 2-3 million 3/Y's annually.. and supply has finally caught up with demand.. nobody is going to be paying more for a used Model Y than a new one. I would not be surprised at all to see the value of my year old MYSR go from its current high of $58K.. to a future low of $30K in the next 18-24 months. After all that would be the normal depreciation curve of a 3-year-old vehicle.. (including Tesla) before this recent car market craziness.

Anybody purchasing a new or used vehicle right now.. is going to be in for quite a nasty treat in the next two years or so. These sky-high valuations are going to prove very temporary. That includes my household as we have purchased two new vehicles in just the past 10 months.
I'm the one who down voted it. While I agree with the sentiment, I don't see used values dropping for another 12 months. All used values are outrageous right now, not just Tesla because of demand. Also, it will take quite a while for Austin to ramp and once it is ramped, there will be a backlog to get through. We probably have more than 12 months of crazy high used prices, then they will tank :) but not until the chip shortage ends and a several months after Austin is fully ramped.

Reactions: Daekwan
Just got my car 1 hour ago..doing update now... It was the most unprofessional buying experience ever, night and day comparing my MYSR delivery (both home deliveries).
Young girl that delivered it seemed annoyed when i told her i need 2 min to inspect the car. And she locked it also so i was not able to see inside till i accepted delivery.
When i got delivered my MYSR they allowed me to inspect it in the front of my house.
I can see some gaps outside but its ok, only annoying thing so far is some strange mechanical sound inside driver door when i close it. MYSR didnt have that

I'm 100% on the fence about doing my swap from 2021 MYLR (VIN 271xxx) to 2022 MYLR (VIN 351xxx) (essentially moving from White to MSM). I have an offer from GMTV of $63500 for the 2021, and the 2022 cost to me is $62100 out the door. I would need to re-invest in PPF/Homelink/Tint, but that total cost is $2500, or about $1000 out of my pocket to get into the MSM. Delivery is set up for Thursday (12/30). :oops:

I got my 2021 for just $57K out the door.

Just not sure if the build quality will be better or worse. The grass isn't always greener.

Any thoughts on the paint quality of the MSM?

I'm 100% on the fence about doing my swap from 2021 MYLR (VIN 271xxx) to 2022 MYLR (VIN 351xxx) (essentially moving from White to MSM). I have an offer from GMTV of $63500 for the 2021, and the 2022 cost to me is $62100 out the door. I would need to re-invest in PPF/Homelink/Tint, but that total cost is $2500, or about $1000 out of my pocket to get into the MSM. Delivery is set up for Thursday (12/30). :oops:

I got my 2021 for just $57K out the door.

Just not sure if the build quality will be better or worse. The grass isn't always greener.

Any thoughts on the paint quality of the MSM?
What about sales tax?

The sales tax is what's killing it for me. I probably would be open to writing off the cost of PPF/Tint (will tint again, that's $1,000 or so, PPF, maybe not if I upgraded) and would open the wallet $2 or $3k for a Performance... but when you add another $6k in tax, now that's $8k to $9k to get a Performance with NO PPF and tint... my LR isn't that "bad." LOL

I wish Tesla ran really good trade ins, they likely know they'll sell the cars since they don't have any building up on the show rooms. If the car is in great condition (literally a quick wash and park it on the lot kind of deal) and somewhat new (like Current model year or one year old and maybe 10k or less miles) they probably would get people jumping for immediate delivery and a $4,000 or $5,000 discount from brand new. In my case a Model Y LR Blue/White with FSD would be $70,990 before delivery fee. They could probably list it for $65,990 and have someone jump at it. If they gave me $66k on a trade in they would move a new vehicle and probably sell the used one within days or maybe a couple weeks. Since they're so streamlined with digital sales and listing and stuff they likely could spend maybe 20 second inputting a VIN and generating a feature list and generic pictures to have online. Maybe spend 20 minutes in the service center to make sure major issues aren't there (thinking like suspension damage) and that would be all. I would think internally it wouldn't cost more than a couple hundred bucks.

I walk in and hand over my perfect condition Model Y and they give me $65,990 credit and I walk out in a new Performance Model Y (Red/White without FSD) for $68,190. I write a check for $2,200 and pay $197 in sales tax in WA state. I literally would probably go this weekend and do that. Maybe Tesla tags on a $500 "delivery fee" for the used car (if they're legally allowed to do that) and that covers the "inspection" and hand off to the new customers.

Heck, maybe you even only allow this on the "high end" cars, a Performance 3/Y or an S/X since Tesla seems to be working magic to get the Performance versions delivered in a month or two compared to the others being half a year out.

I know Tesla doesn't *NEED* to do this, I know they have a line out the door already, but this gets more orders on the books, or people out the door taking whatever (usually higher end) car shows up first and gets an existing car quickly sold back to someone else. There are TWO used Model Y's being sold direct from Tesla, both for crazy high prices, literally a $2,400 discount from new and like 20k miles on them. But I'm sure Tesla valued that trade in at like $56k and is now selling it for $71k....

More info as I get it….Got the Vroom contract there are 2 clauses (5 and 7) that got me concerned. Essentially, when they get the car and inspect it, they reserve the right to change the offer and if the seller doesn’t agree, they have to pay to have their car shipped back to them. I don’t see a reason to do business like this as it very much reminds me of the days when car dealers would hold on to your keys after the test drive and give you hell for wanting the keys back. Carvana offered exactly $10k better than Tesla, and even though it’s a few thousand lower than Vroom, they give you a check on the spot. I say a bird in hand is worth two in a bush. Carvana does ask for a build sticker with VIN on it, but I don’t think Tesla provides one. It’s not in my account “glove box”. Has anyone bought a “Moroney Sticker”?

More info as I get it….Got the Vroom contract there are 2 clauses (5 and 7) that got me concerned. Essentially, when they get the car and inspect it, they reserve the right to change the offer and if the seller doesn’t agree, they have to pay to have their car shipped back to them. I don’t see a reason to do business like this as it very much reminds me of the days when car dealers would hold on to your keys after the test drive and give you hell for wanting the keys back. Carvana offered exactly $10k better than Tesla, and even though it’s a few thousand lower than Vroom, they give you a check on the spot. I say a bird in hand is worth two in a bush. Carvana does ask for a build sticker with VIN on it, but I don’t think Tesla provides one. It’s not in my account “glove box”. Has anyone bought a “Moroney Sticker”?
I wouldn’t worry about the vroom contract. I sold another car to them. They don’t care about minor issues. If there’s a large dent, then they may reduce the price. Curb rash or other wear and tear mean nothing.

Carvana asks for the sticker (and yes Tesla provides one) but only because of policy. They want to know the options.

If any of the car buying services offer you a great price, take it. We’re in a strange time where this seems too good to be true but it’s reality.

Upgrade. It’s worth it.

I'm the one who down voted it. While I agree with the sentiment, I don't see used values dropping for another 12 months. All used values are outrageous right now, not just Tesla because of demand. Also, it will take quite a while for Austin to ramp and once it is ramped, there will be a backlog to get through. We probably have more than 12 months of crazy high used prices, then they will tank :) but not until the chip shortage ends and a several months after Austin is fully ramped.
I actually agree with you and your points are solid. No reason for a downvote though. You could have just posted that exact reply and added to the conversation.

There’s capital gains tax on individual, private car sales?…but I also owned my car for over 12 months.
I'm no tax expert, just a regular guy. But as I was considering this I Googled it and found some information saying that I would owe capital gains taxes if I sold my car for more than I paid for it. Rates vary based on your income and filing status, but it looks like about 15% for long term capital gains (greater than one year as in your case) or 22% for short term gains (less than one year).