Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solution to not having HUD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
best solution: adapt and go forward; learn to live with one screen.

Best solution: get a different car.
I know I will, if the final car that will be available to me next year doesn't fit my requirements.
If all the rest is to my liking, then I might still buy it, even if hasn't got a HUD. In the end, every individual reservation holder will have to make the decision for her-/himself. And everyone will. If enough people complain about it, they might add one later. Just look at the center storage discussion in the Model S. In the end Tesla offered an add-on solution for the Model S, and Model X got a proper center console from the get-go. No reason to think that it will be different with regards to Model 3 and a HUD over time. Perhaps Model Y will get a HUD as an option from the start.

People don't like radical changes - irrespective of what the design gurus think of. Windows Start menu is a great example.

So is the big shift Netflix made to streaming instead of DVDs some years back. That caused a big backlash, forcing Netflix to back track - but now looks so visionary.

This is what I'm hoping to do. Hopefully we can get access to vehicle data (Bluetooth) and have fully customizable dash displays.

One could 3D print a nice mount for a phone or tablet (if there is room) and have no trouble placing it on the wide flat dash.

Could someone tweet the Bluetooth data question to Elon? I don't tweet. Lol:)
Remember me if you get one going.
Waze made me think of it.

People don't like radical changes - irrespective of what the design gurus think of. Windows Start menu is a great example.

The Windows Start menu was a radical change when it was introduced over program manager in Windows 3.1 / Windows NT 3.5, and was hated at first.

Now everybody is all up and arms when it gets touched...

So is the big shift Netflix made to streaming instead of DVDs some years back. That caused a big backlash, forcing Netflix to back track - but now looks so visionary.

Not the same thing. The NetFlix backlash wasn't format, but content. It would be the equivalent of saying Model 3 can only drive on 5% of the roads out there.

Last edited:
Not including more displays might not save a lot of materials cost for each car, but it may mean the difference between hitting 100k/year and 500k/year.

I would suggest that it might mean the difference between hitting 400,000 and 500,000 per year…because at least 20% of potential buyers (other than Tesla fanboys) would reject the idea of putting speedo information off to the side instead of directly in front of the driver where everyone is accustomed to seeing it.

The Windows Start menu was a radical change when it was introduced over program manager in Windows 3.1 / Windows NT 3.5, and was hated at first.
I was referring to getting rid of it in win 8.

Not the same thing. The NetFlix backlash wasn't format, but content. It would be the equivalent of saying Model 3 can only drive on 5% of the roads out there.
No - it was about splitting dvd mailing into a different company so that Netflix would concentrate on streaming.

Netflix CEO's apology brings new backlash

I was referring to getting rid of it in win 8.
That's my point.

People hated when Program Manager was removed, and then only later fell in love with the Start menu - to the point that they hated when it was taken away again.

No - it was about splitting dvd mailing into a different company so that Netflix would concentrate on streaming.

Netflix CEO's apology brings new backlash

Few people specifically needed/wanted to have both DVD's or Streaming. But Netflix streaming sucked (still does - probably even more now then it did then) compared to their DVD's, so you were forced to have both services - and THAT is why the move to split the services was so much reviled.

If they had the same content on both, few people would have cared.

I would suggest that it might mean the difference between hitting 400,000 and 500,000 per year…because at least 20% of potential buyers (other than Tesla fanboys) would reject the idea of putting speedo information off to the side instead of directly in front of the driver where everyone is accustomed to seeing it.
Respectfully disagree on this. The Prius has sold just fine with offset speedo info as have many other models. This car was designed for two things from the very beginning. One, to be simple, cheap and easy to manufacture and deliver...and two, to be the first car designed from the ground up to be fully autonomous. They have accomplished both of these with this design. I am sure there will be those that chose to go a different route once the car is released but I doubt it will be more than 5% of current reservation holders. Elon said we wouldn't miss the binnacle and I am going to take him for his word.

Dan

Reactions: CCWgr
Even though I'm not longer getting a model 3-it's not the speedo -it's navigation. I don't want to have to look at that console to see where my next turn is. When there's an accident on my normal route-I just make a turn and let the nav kick in. With unknown routes-nav needs to be on my windshield. It's just me. Not everyone will agree with this but I've learned this is the best solution for me.