Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solution to not having HUD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is definitely something to think about. I'd imagine they are hoping that the word of mouth of how awesome autonomous mode is and the car in general is enough to overcome any negativity about the lack of a 2nd screen. Model S had to overcome some of the same general struggles (different issues than a screen) and was able to become a huge success for them. I think the same with happen with the 3, initial screen disappointment or not. Once people start taking their friends on rides around town in autonomous mode (Note to Tesla: better get cracking on this) the reaction will be the same as people who drove in S's on autopilot on the highway. Having taken a couple of roadtrips in one, it changed my view of roadtrips and travel, and I think full autonomy (in most situations, probably lvl4 for awhile) will continue to change that dynamic for people.
Autonomous driving is not enough to sell a car in profitable numbers. Period. Model 3 will need to offer a hell of a lot more than that.

Autonomous driving is not enough to sell a car in profitable numbers. Period. Model 3 will need to offer a hell of a lot more than that.
I'm not sure how you can be so certain of this, unless you are involved in market research with the car industry and have some insider information on what people are willing to pay for or not. A poll on electrek is not an in depth dive on what the majority people in the world think and feel. None of us are certain, and I was not implying that I was either, just said what their strategy seems to be.

Edit: changed Americans to "people in the world". Trying not to be so America-centric :)

I'm not sure how you can be so certain of this, unless you are involved in market research with the car industry and have some insider information on what people are willing to pay for or not. A poll on electrek is not an in depth dive on what the majority people in the world think and feel. None of us are certain, and I was not implying that I was either, just said what their strategy seems to be.

Edit: changed Americans to "people in the world". Trying not to be so America-centric :)
Would you put your faith into a "fully autonomous" vehicle right now?

Would you put your faith into a "fully autonomous" vehicle right now?

(Note to Tesla: better get cracking on this)

Nope! Hence my qualifier from above haha. Lots of work to do, but probably at least 9 months at least before I see my car on the east coast, so I have faith that for 95% of my driving, it'll be space-ship like driving. Excited to see what they put together over the next few months.

I think this opens up an opportunity for an I-phone I-pad app.
This is what I'm hoping to do. Hopefully we can get access to vehicle data (Bluetooth) and have fully customizable dash displays.

One could 3D print a nice mount for a phone or tablet (if there is room) and have no trouble placing it on the wide flat dash.

Could someone tweet the Bluetooth data question to Elon? I don't tweet. Lol:)

Last edited:
This is what I'm hoping to do. Hopefully we can get access to vehicle data (Bluetooth) and have fully customizable dash displays.

One could 3D print a nice mount for a phone or tablet (if there is room) and have no trouble placing it on the wide flat dash.

Can you imagine if we were talking about BMW or Mercedes and saying we could 3D print a phone holder to act as a speedometer? This is a freaking Tesla.. Unacceptable!

Reactions: kablammyman
That was one of the first things I noticed about the Model 3's dash. By not having an instrument cluster in front of the driver, the dash is cut down significantly over a regular car, all the way across. I'm not exactly sure, but I think those contours extend out across the nose of the car. That adds up to a considerable weight savings, probably a couple of hundred pounds overall.

They end up needing less steel for the dash/firewall (that portion of the car is steel in the Model S/X), less aluminum in the nose, as well as simplified wiring harnesses in the dash. I've read the wiring harnesses in the Model S and X are one of the biggest pains with manufacturing. The cars have wiring going everywhere.

Everything in the car is a cost trade-off. They probably looked at manually cranked windows, but power windows have become so ubiquitous the manual mechanism might cost more than the power mechanism these days. Or the cost difference (with manufacturing costs) was negligible.

Eliminating the driver's instruments and putting everything on the center screen allows Tesla to cut down the dash more than just about any car on the market. They will probably pitch it as a feature (better forward visibility). This probably will be the wave of the future when cars become 100% automated. There will be no actual driver. One person will punch in the destination and the vehicle will do the rest. There will be no manual override. But that is sometime in the future. It's going to be several years until the software for that sort of thing is ready and another number of years until regulations catch up.

Sorry, I am not buying any of that.

Putting in a small instrument cluster screen would add minimal weight and take minimal space - and would certainly work within the design of the current Model 3 dash.

Can you imagine if we were talking about BMW or Mercedes and saying we could 3D print a phone holder to act as a speedometer? This is a freaking Tesla.. Unacceptable!

I agree. The one screen thing is disappointing to me. Even more so because of the slap it on a stalk installation of the single screen. Nevertheless, I am still 99% sure of purchase so I will have to make due.

Reactions: sitter_k

Already exists (with apps):
www.hudwayglass.com