Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Solved: Road Noise & Front Wind Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Through the last few months, I have been watching and reading up the various posts regarding the many ways many of you all have attempted, as well as the various kits available online, to reduce if not eliminate road noise and wind noise from the Model3. After reviewing all those posts and review of the kits, I figured that since none of you have been able to achieve that elusive goal, let alone even come close to reducing the noise, made me ask the question: What are we missing?

So as I kept driving my M3, I attempted to focus on finding those missing sources ie where is the noise emanating into the cabin from. Turns out they are the 4 corners of the cabin ie the A-Pillars and C-pillars. More specifically, the A-Pillars for wind noise and C-Pillars for road noise.

#1 - The solution for wind noise is the following - Z Weatherstrip down inside the leading edge of the front door, and foam block at the top triangle where the front fender, windshield and door meet.

Z-Weatherstrip

FE752F27-DD36-4C76-975B-39D41FA43CDA.png

Foam at the junction
30509DB7-3101-4B73-A504-E35E4989A336.jpeg

#2 - The solution for road noise is the following - 2" Fiber insulation behind the rear seat side panels that cover the rear wheel wells.
6675D311-F79A-42AD-9928-77D6FA910EAA copy.jpg

F76F1B1B-0F3F-481F-B6A4-185039144B06 copy.jpg

I hope this helps everyone who have been pursuing this goal. Thanks for all the contributions and many thanks to @XPsionic for his constant engagement and interest.

While I appreciate OP's write up and photos, it would be better if we have more photos from a certain distance so that we can see entire picture. Or it is just me...😇
I know. My focus was on getting to my goal of attenuating the annoying noises and not documenting it. At this point, I don’t feel like opening up the seat panels again to document it anymore than I have.

Maybe this link will help as he goes through the process

I know. My focus was on getting to my goal of attenuating the annoying noises and not documenting it. At this point, I don’t feel like opening up the seat panels again to document it anymore than I have.

Maybe this link will help as he goes through the process

Did you remove the trunk liner and put insulation under? Or just rear seat cushions and those side pieces under the C pillar?

Reactions: Potpourri
Took some trial and error but followed your method and it worked.

I took a scan with polycam of the foam insert that I made, have it in stl, obj and fbx formats here for anyone that wants to make a template:

@zoppp Thanks man, worked great! This saved me a lot of time.

I turned it into a PNG (attached) and cut out a paper stencil with my cricut (total height is 25 7/8 inches). PE foam was already 2x thick (two 4mm sheets stuck to each other). Cuts easily with scissors. There was one small gap towards the top that required a second small piece.

@enemji Thank you thank you. Phase 1 complete, I already hear an improvement.
model3foamv3.png
20230317_171143.jpg

Last edited:

I turned it into a PNG (attached) and cut out a paper stencil with my cricut (total height is 25 7/8 inches). PE foam was already 2x thick (two 4mm sheets stuck to each other). Cuts easily with scissors. There was one small gap towards the top that required a second small piece.

@enemji Thank you thank you. Phase 1 complete, I already hear an improvement. View attachment 918698View attachment 918700
Awesome. This is fantastic work

• Love
Reactions: Adam3
Imagine this being done at the factory - at scale, it might cost a few bucks per car with limited additional labor. Would make a huge improvement in the car a little cost. If necessary, raise the price of the car $10 or so to make up for it - nobody is going to refuse to buy the car over a $10 price difference, whereas I'm sure there are alot of people that decided not to buy because they thought (correctly) the car was too loud. If only, if only ...

The picture of the foam in the box - is that the orientation for the passenger side fender?
That pattern works for both sides, just gotta flip it. The orientation in the box is just upside down, the curve that's on the bottom left in the picture should be in the top left on the car drivers side and top right on the passenger side.
Edit: I just rotated the image and reupload, now it's in the orientation as would be installed in the passenger side.

Then to make driver side you just cut the same shape and flip it along the straight vertical section that is on the left side of the picture.

Last edited:

@enemji Thank you thank you. Phase 1 complete, I already hear an improvement. View attachment 918698View attachment 918700
I took the PNG @Adam3 uploaded and created a pdf which you a use to print out on standard 8.5" paper and then use it as a pattern to cut out the two pieces of PE foam. Working on it today...

Attachments

• model3foamv3.pdf
    20.4 KB · Views: 538