Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some superchargers are free?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots of people report not being charged for SC even when the vehicle did not come with free SC.

Elon has also tweeted about this, stating that free SC for all is not financially sustainable but they do not always charge. Interestingly, I received free SC when it was not being offered at all, except as a sales incentive for pre-existing new inventory, and my SC agreement states that free SC is attached to my ownership, not the car. So if I sell it, no more free SC.

BTW I love the Waco SC at Collin Street Bakery but have not had good luck with it recently - very slow.

Some are paid by the complex or business owners. Telsa was going to put 12 superchargers at my work which my company was going to pay no matter where they are from. However the landlord wanted us to pay for premium parking at $200 per month per spot. No way we are going to pay $2,400 per month for parking spots for all Teslas (not just for our employees) so the deal was off.

I think some like this and Qualcomm has a deal with their complex owners and Tesla where Tesla provides the installs and businesses pay for all superchargers.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
Lots of people report not being charged for SC even when the vehicle did not come with free SC.

Elon has also tweeted about this, stating that free SC for all is not financially sustainable but they do not always charge. Interestingly, I received free SC when it was not being offered at all, except as a sales incentive for pre-existing new inventory, and my SC agreement states that free SC is attached to my ownership, not the car. So if I sell it, no more free SC.

BTW I love the Waco SC at Collin Street Bakery but have not had good luck with it recently - very slow.
On a recent trip through, I had a slow supercharger, changed to a different one and had success.

I think there’s some glitches in their credit card processing or something
I occasionally get free charging at chargers I frequent and am usually charged at
Happens something like 20% of the time
Specifically happens more at Urban Superchargers

I was speaking with a 2018 Model S owner at a supercharger earlier today and he told me he had free supercharging. I thought that went away with the introduction of the 2017 Model years. I was told that if you purchased a 2016 or earlier year the free supercharging would transfer and stay with the car. Is this correct?

"Free supercharging for the life" shows up on the Model X and S during end of quarter pushes. I have it on my 2018 X.
However, since 2017 the definition of "free supercharging for life" has changed to "for the time the original purchaser owns/leases the car". When the car is sold or turned in on lease the free supercharging goes away.

Not sure about the 2016 cars and earlier that had "free supercharging for life". I would no be surprised if they still got it. Especially on 3rd party sales.

You also hear stories of Tesla stripped other things like Ludicrous mode and FSD from cars traded in Tesla.

It changes constantly, but free supercharging for as long as you own the car is currently part of Model S/X sales. Been like this for awhile again.

I assume this is just to goose sales, so Tesla could remove this perk at anytime if they decide they no longer need to offer it though. Honestly the (briefly offered) free 400kWh per year they had for a short time seemed to me like a fair tradeoff to combat unlimited use abusers.