Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Some superchargers are free?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've searched the forum and couldn't find anything. I have a LR M3 and every time I supercharger in Waco on trips from San Antonio to Dallas there is no charge for the charging. I get charged at other superchargers why is this one free?
Thanks Brad

I've searched the forum and couldn't find anything. I have a LR M3 and every time I supercharger in Waco on trips from San Antonio to Dallas there is no charge for the charging. I get charged at other superchargers why is this one free?
Thanks Brad

The Waco charger bill is picked up by that local Collin St. Bakery. I don't think it's a bug. Note that other CSB locations (all of which have superchargers) don't give away free charging. I've checked :)

The Superchargers at the highway rest stops in CT were free for everyone until earlier this year. The state of CT pays for the power, so they should still be free. But, I've been unable to get in touch with anyone at Tesla who can fix it. Seems like fraud for Tesla to charge a fee for power that the taxpayers of CT are already paying for. Maybe they get away with it because it's a per-minute fee instead of per-kwh.

I've heard there are some other random locations where the property owner pays for power and the superchargers are therefore free for everyone. The Qualcomm one in CA is often mentioned.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
In my experience, from 3 multi-state road trips in the 6 months I have had my Model 3, there have been 8 SCs at which I was not charged. Some of them are at hotels, restaurants, etc. I was and am rather surprised by this & I'd like to know which ones are being paid for by some host, as I'd like to thank them.

I can report that the SCs in the following list are/were NOT free to me. St. George UT, Beaver UT, Nephi UT, SLC UT, Las Vegas NV South Strip, Tonopah NV, Flagstaff AZ, Holbrook AZ, Gallup NM. I did get some free L2 charging on each of these 3 road trips, and that helped me avoid a couple of SC stops.

As an off-topic side note, I, too, wish there was CHAdeMO support for the Model 3, as I also know of at least two free CHAdeMO chargers to which I have access at places I go. As a further side note, I also wish that Tesla would finally install the SC at Kayenta, AZ, which has been "planned for this year" for the last several years.

Last edited:
FWIW I've never actually been billed for using a supercharger, and I definitely don't have free supercharging on the car.

These would be in NC, SC, and Georgia and mostly late fall of last year when I used any of em on a couple of longer trips

The GA one was brand new (had only opened a few days ago) but the others had all been there for quite a while... one was sharing a hotel parking lot, another was at a Sheetz, 2 were at malls, the last was a regular shopping center.

Someone suggested it might've been due to hurricanes having come through the southeast, just know none of them charged me anything.

Only one of them even indicated I should be charged (all the rest said $0.00 the whole charge) but I was never billed for even the one that did put a non-0 number on the screen. (and yes I have a CC on file to bill)

FWIW I've never actually been billed for using a supercharger, and I definitely don't have free supercharging on the car.

These would be in NC, SC, and Georgia and mostly late fall of last year when I used any of em on a couple of longer trips

The GA one was brand new (had only opened a few days ago) but the others had all been there for quite a while... one was sharing a hotel parking lot, another was at a Sheetz, 2 were at malls, the last was a regular shopping center.

Someone suggested it might've been due to hurricanes having come through the southeast, just know none of them charged me anything.

Only one of them even indicated I should be charged (all the rest said $0.00 the whole charge) but I was never billed for even the one that did put a non-0 number on the screen. (and yes I have a CC on file to bill)

I've talked a few Canadian owners who have gone on road trips and have racked up Supercharger charges but haven't been actually billed to their CC on file. Sounds like a common billing issue at Tesla.

I was a little surprised to see this thread as this has happened to me. Charged at the Raleigh one when I first got the car in September, it was free. went to Burlington, NC, it was free, went to Wilmington, it was free. I was thinking "Are all these free?". I went back to Wilmington and all of a sudden, it wasn't free, and none have been since. Here is a picture for proof from my account.

Note, here is some proof

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-28_11-5-52.png
    upload_2019-3-28_11-5-52.png
    56 KB · Views: 273
I was a little surprised to see this thread as this has happened to me. Charged at the Raleigh one when I first got the car in September, it was free. went to Burlington, NC, it was free, went to Wilmington, it was free. I was thinking "Are all these free?". I went back to Wilmington and all of a sudden, it wasn't free, and none have been since. Here is a picture for proof from my account.
The explanation for that one is simpler: you had a supercharging credit applied to your account when you bought the car. Once you used up that credit, they started charging you. I think this credit is normally ~400 kWh.

Edit: from Tesla's supercharging page:
Certain Model S and X vehicles ordered before November 2, 2018 receive 400 kWh (~1,000 miles) of Supercharger credits annually. Standard Supercharger fees apply after credits are used.
So you'll get another 400 kWh credit in a year. :)

Last edited:
I have a model 3 though :(
It wouldn't be the first time Tesla's website contained statements not completely aligned with reality... ;) Given that your account screenshot shows Credit Remaining at 0 kWh, it could be that this value was non-zero when you got your car as an unadvertised perk, or they might have failed to bill you for the first few charges. I guess the explanation isn't really that obvious after all.

Thanks Brad

Same thing happened to me this weekend. Was charged in Austin, but not Waco. Must be that CSB (or someone) picks up the tab because when you touch the icon on the map to see how many stalls are free there is no cost information. But for Italy and Austin it shows the slow/fast cost per minute.

Capture.JPG

I was speaking with a 2018 Model S owner at a supercharger earlier today and he told me he had free supercharging. I thought that went away with the introduction of the 2017 Model years. I was told that if you purchased a 2016 or earlier year the free supercharging would transfer and stay with the car. Is this correct?

The Superchargers at the highway rest stops in CT were free for everyone until earlier this year. The state of CT pays for the power, so they should still be free. But, I've been unable to get in touch with anyone at Tesla who can fix it. Seems like fraud for Tesla to charge a fee for power that the taxpayers of CT are already paying for. Maybe they get away with it because it's a per-minute fee instead of per-kwh.

I've heard there are some other random locations where the property owner pays for power and the superchargers are therefore free for everyone. The Qualcomm one in CA is often mentioned.
My first super chargers were free chargers at CT rest stops. Charged there this am. No idea why there’s no charge. City must pay? So strange. But hey, I’ll take it.