Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Someone had to do it... (Autopilot stunt)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A lot of you guys seem like you are afraid of cars, or driving. At 18mph, with someone ready to press the emergency brake, and with automatic emergency braking, this wasn't likely to do any more than, in the worst case, dent the bumper. And even that's a bit unlikely.

A lot of you guys seem like you are afraid of cars, or driving. At 18mph, with someone ready to press the emergency brake, and with automatic emergency braking, this wasn't likely to do any more than, in the worst case, dent the bumper. And even that's a bit unlikely.
I don't think it was that bad. The thing is others will try to do something more extreme and things will escalate out of control eventually.

I'm not particularly concerned about wk's safety or the car's since this trick was fairly well thought out. I am very concerned that videos of this sort and of drivers eating hamburgers and looking at laptops (both of which I've seen) get more wide-spread attention that it will encourage the regulatory authorities to demand that tesla implement nag mode 24x7, which would make me very sad indeed.

Wow Just wow, really with $100,00 plus car. People truly amaze me, and not in a good way.

lol

I like the quick pan up to the sunroof to show that Mr. Bean wasn't steering from the roof.

Yeah, I'm honestly not 100% sure why that was done...

Private roads have do not pass lines in the center?

I don't know the whole story behind why this road has lane markings, honestly. It used to be gravel about 15 years ago. Then it was paved with this crappy tiny rock/tar coating that it has now to lower the dust that used to get kicked up near the interstate there. And for whatever reason lines were painted. I honestly do not know exactly why, but they're there. They weren't painted for at least the first year of it being "paved." GIS data clearly shows the land as privately owned by the person I know who owns it and owns the gate at the end of the road that meets a public road.

It was really the voice scrambling that made me LOL.

Yeah, just having some fun with that. :p

Cool proof of concept though, and you did it just about as responsibly as humanly possible. I wonder if Tesla will change it to require a driver in the seat.

Honestly, while they might do this, I doubt it's worth the effort. The driver side seat just has a switch, not a pressure sensor. So, piece of cake to defeat with basically any object in the seat. If you're willing to click the seat belt to defeat the system you're willing to throw a weight in the seat.

You think the danger was high at 18 mph on a closed course with someone ready at the parking brake? I'd guess people are taking bigger risks with AP right now, hundreds of times a day, just by driving with it.

For sure. I've seen some videos already that I just want to scream at the driver, "WTF WERE YOU THINKING?!"

Now I have to go find my parking brake!

Hold the park button on the stalk, or have the Controls->E-Brake menu up on the 17" and hold the button displayed there.

We can't see the seat. There could be a couple of sand bags there for all we know.

What is the camera on the windshield for? We don't see any video from that.

lol. I assure you the seat was empty. Video stabilization cropped out the wider view that better shows the seat. Here's a frame:

vlcsnap-2015-10-16-21h30m26s001.jpg

Looks like the cam was never panned down to show the entire seat... but there is definitely no one there and no sand bag. lol.

As for the GoPro on the windshield, that was an attempt at recording the instrument cluster for other testing. It was actually off at this point due to a battery issue (even though it was powered from USB).

I can't let this go. You're further gone than I suspected. Sorry, but that's just too crazy, even for an early adopter. Hope you do well at the home.

I'm not sure if you're joking or not?

I'm not particularly concerned about wk's safety or the car's since this trick was fairly well thought out. I am very concerned that videos of this sort and of drivers eating hamburgers and looking at laptops (both of which I've seen) get more wide-spread attention that it will encourage the regulatory authorities to demand that tesla implement nag mode 24x7, which would make me very sad indeed.

I definitely tried to think out the safest way to do it, and this was certainly the best way aside from something like a runway or otherwise more open area. Considering my passenger could have easily engaged the parking brake and/or taken the steering wheel at any time... I personally don't think there was much, if any, danger to me, my passenger, or the car... aside from maybe a hint of whiplash if the brake were engaged at that speedy 18 MPH.

As for nag mode... honestly, I've mostly been expecting such an update to happen shortly after this was released. I commented in the Firmware thread that I will no longer update my P85D until I'm assured that the update doesn't enable additional nagging or otherwise cripple paid functionality. I drove about 200 miles today. 140 of that on the interstate. I was nagged to "hold the wheel" three times on the interstate. One white overpass with no lines with tree shadows and a random puddle confused it and I got "take over immediately." I took over to dodge tire debris once. Aside from those things, the system drove for nearly 140 miles undisturbed. This is what I paid for, and if they make that impossible then I'll have a problem. People are already doing things much worse than I've done in my video. Someone using AP on public two lane windy roads at speed while holding a cell phone cam comes to mind...

Word of the day: fe·lo·ni·ous

fəˈlōnēəs

adjective
of, relating to, or involved in crime.

• "the defendants blatant disregard for the acceptable user agreement resulted in a felonious conviction by the court"
    • LAW: relating to or of the nature of felony.
    • "his reckless driving conduct resulting in the death of the victim was a felonious event resulting in a minimum 10 year incarceration"
    • The civil suit that followed decimated his families ability to sustain their lifestyle resulting in bankruptcy.
  • It would take Law enforcement about five minutes to figure out who did this video with the electronic DNA embedded in the meta tags. (geo location, hardware MAC, Storage signature etc)

Last edited:
Word of the day: fe·lo·ni·ous

fəˈlōnēəs

adjective
of, relating to, or involved in crime.

• "the defendants blatant disregard for the acceptable user agreement resulted in a felonious conviction by the court"
    • LAW: relating to or of the nature of felony.
    • "his reckless driving conduct resulting in the death of the victim was a felonious event resulting in a minimum 10 year incarceration"
    • The civil suit that followed decimated his families ability to sustain their lifestyle resulting in bankruptcy.
  • It would take Law enforcement about five minutes to figure out who did this video with the electronic DNA embedded in the meta tags. (geo location, hardware MAC, Storage signature etc)

lol? Law enforcement is welcome to contact me. I'll happily respond to a subpoena and let them who made the video, who was in the car, and who's property it was on with exact GPS coordinates. Good luck finding a law on the books in my state that says anything that occurred in my video was illegal when conducted on private property. It's not even illegal to talk on the phone non-handsfree here yet (in most cases). lol.

To be honest, I am proud to say I know of the forum member who recorded this video. Most wouldn't have the balls, or the idea to do this, but I'm happy you did.

I know that you have been pining for Autopilot the most wk057, so I'm happy the rollout was quick and painless.

:D Love the vid

yes I was kidding, but I can't say I think it was a good idea to post the video. Somebody will see it and try to duplicate it and get hurt. Maybe its good though, since it might cause Tesla to implement something to prevent it from being done. It shouldn't be possible - they certainly don't intend for the driver's seat to be un-occupied while the car is moving.

Yes, you said do not try this at home, etc. It won't stop them though. Does it relieve you of all responsibility? I guess that's a judgement call. I would say no.