Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Someone had to do it... (Autopilot stunt)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, part of the intent behind my video was to show that the seat occupancy sensor wasn't used at all with autopilot, just the seat belt sensor. I'd much rather have my controlled experiment posted showing this than someone less prepared testing it out.

As for the idiots who are just doing stupid things to be stupid, they're going to do them regardless, so I think my video has a net-zero effect on stupidity.

Tesla should probably incorporate the occupancy sensor with autopilot in some fashion. Obviously we don't want autopilot disengaging when someone fidgets in their seat, but if the sensor is open for an extended period it probably indicates the driver has disappeared. Perhaps it could trigger the "Hold the Steering Wheel" warning after a second or two of no occupancy, which would seem sane.

I don't think it was 100% down to you...

Last edited by a moderator:
If the result of wk057's video is that Tesla requires weight in the driver's seat for Autopilot to function, preventing those who would be less safe than wk057 from taking risks, isn't that a good thing?

Most reasonable and rational people don't think: "Hmm....I wonder if this (AP) will work with me in the back seat? Let's find out." Instead, they simply use the feature as intended. In specific terms of 'isn't that a good thing'...I'm of the opinion that *too stupid to live* is effective birth control and thus good for the human race.

If the OP thought it important information for Tesla, he could have simply contacted Tesla privately and told them that the AP was functional without a driver in the seat/functional if the driver shifted/released weigh off the seat.

Most reasonable and rational people don't think: "Hmm....I wonder if this (AP) will work with me in the back seat? Let's find out." Instead, they simply use the feature as intended. In specific terms of 'isn't that a good thing'...I'm of the opinion that *too stupid to live* is effective birth control and thus good for the human race.

The problem is that the "too stupid to live" people that may want to try autopilot from the back seat unsafely could really hurt Tesla if Tesla doesn't protect them from themselves.

If the OP thought it important information for Tesla, he could have simply contacted Tesla privately and told them that the AP was functional without a driver in the seat/functional if the driver shifted/released weigh off the seat.

Sure he could have. But it wouldn't have been as dramatic, and I expect not as much fun for him. (Edit--Based on his post below, apparently he did both--notified Tesla and made the video!)

My main point was that any autopilot functionality we lose that actually matters to us will not be due to wk057's video. We probably will lose the ability to drive from the back seat, due to his video, as well we should. Anything else that changes is almost certainly because of other videos that are out there, and the changes will have had nothing to do with wk057's video.

lol.

I don't think you'll find a bigger fan of Darwinism than I when it comes to people being stupid and paying the price. But clearly you have me in the wrong category in that regard.

And you incorrectly assume that I didn't contact Tesla about the occupancy sensor usage.

So if I understand correctly, wk claims to have notififed Tesla over his concern (though I'm sure they were aware, just held the erroneous opinion that people wouldn't do that), but then decided to make the video to really stress how important it was with the hope that no one else would try to imitate him.

Maybe it's just me, but I missed that message in the video. Probably just me. :) (And let's keep in mind the whole 'don't do this at home' approach with Jackass and other similar videos is precisely so that people WILL do their own version.)

lol.

I don't think you'll find a bigger fan of Darwinism than I when it comes to people being stupid and paying the price. But clearly you have me in the wrong category in that regard.

I wasn't actually thinking of you specifically when I wrote the part about 'most reasonable and rational people'. So clearly you have me wrong. If there's ever any doubt what I'm thinking, you can ask me specifically either on the forum or in a PM. I'm also open to clarifying any points I may not have expressed clearly enough.

And you incorrectly assume that I didn't contact Tesla about the occupancy sensor usage.

I made no such assumption. I stated that you could have 'simply contacted Tesla privately', as in done *just that* rather than post a video of the activity - and here's the important part of the dialogue between me and Andyw2100 - if your intent was to help Tesla, as he suggested.

Context and reference is important.

- - - Updated - - -

The problem is that the "too stupid to live" people that may want to try autopilot from the back seat unsafely could really hurt Tesla if Tesla doesn't protect them from themselves.

Or not. Tesla seems to do just fine on its own in regards to legal 'stuffs'.

Sure he could have. But it wouldn't have been as dramatic, and I expect not as much fun for him.

Right, so no intent to help Tesla.

Or not. Tesla seems to do just fine on its own in regards to legal 'stuffs'.

Your initial point about the "too stupid to live" people was that you were fine with Tesla leaving things as they were, and letting those people's stupidity end their lives. At least that's what I inferred from:

In specific terms of 'isn't that a good thing'...I'm of the opinion that *too stupid to live* is effective birth control and thus good for the human race.

My point was that if those stupid people choose to kill themselves, and possibly others, by doing stupid things in Tesla autopilot enabled cars, DRIVING FROM THE BACK SEAT that would not be good for Tesla.

I'm not suggesting Tesla would be legally responsible. But there's just no way that the publicity from something like that would help Tesla. Public opinion would not be, "Cool--Tesla is helping keep the population down, Darwin-style. What a great company." Sure, a few people may feel that way, but that's not where the general public's feelings on the matter would settle.

IMO, one of the smartest things Tesla could do here is immediately stop marketing this as "Auto Pilot" (which it isn't) and rebrand it as "Driver Assist" (which it is.) Auto Pilot conveys the wrong message about functionality. Cars don't have pilots, they have drivers. Auto Pilot, which is primarily an aviation concept, generally encompasses a significantly different and more complex feature set than the driver assist features of the Tesla.

I'm not suggesting Tesla would be legally responsible. But there's just no way that the publicity from something like that would help Tesla.

Public opinion would not be, "Cool--Tesla is helping keep the population down, Darwin-style. What a great company." Sure, a few people may feel that way, but that's not where the general public's feelings on the matter would settle.

Tesla did just fine with the whole battery-on-you-know-what and recall-that-wasn't-technically-a-recall-recall and Broder-runs-out-of-charge-fiasco and on and on the list goes. Somebody doing something stupid expressly against the very obvious stated parameters of AP isn't going to suddenly harm Tesla in an appreciable way. It'll get headlines, get people chawing at each other, maybe add some volatility to the stock price, but otherwise it'll be free advertisement and another teaching moment for the world about Tesla.

This thread, the video, or the OP's actions were never about helping Tesla avoid bad publicity or any other noble 'for Tesla' intent.

IMO, one of the smartest things Tesla could do here is immediately stop marketing this as "Auto Pilot" (which it isn't) and rebrand it as "Driver Assist" (which it is.) Auto Pilot conveys the wrong message about functionality. Cars don't have pilots, they have drivers. Auto Pilot, which is primarily an aviation concept, generally encompasses a significantly different and more complex feature set than the driver assist features of the Tesla.
Uhm, no!

Auto Pilot is the correct term and is derived from aviation... where the captain or first officer has to be ready to take over the controls at all times.
Plus Auto Pilot allows for a good/smooth transition to autonomous driving :)