Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Someone talk me out of my range anxiety

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well by this time you've finished your trip and I'm sure it went well. I recently did my first trip in my 70D, Ohio to Virginia beach and back, and learned three things:
1. Don't forget your charging cable at home. I did. No biggee, just accelerated my faith in network.
2. Plan is great unless you take a wrong turn. That mistake will eat into your reserve.
3. Try not to snack too much at charging stops.

• Funny
Reactions: Ciaopec
Good evening,

I have been lurking for awhile and took delivery of my refreshed 90D MS in late June. I have ~2,500 miles on the car including a handful of trips at 180-185 miles.

I am about to take my maiden voyage using the SC network and stretching the range out a bit. The first half of the trip will be 210 miles on a toll road with a 75 MPH speed limit. I will then hit the SC for full charge and make the next 210 miles on a primarily 65 MPH highway.

Everything in my gut (and head) tells me I will be just fine, but the first leg at 75-80 MPH with a/c is beginning to keep me up at night. Once I start each leg, I will essentially be on an island with virtually no viable charging opportunities.

The trip will be at night with headlights. The car has aftermarket 20" wheels, while I haven't weighed them, I likely sit somewhere between the 19" and 21" range numbers.

Thoughts?

Austin

Draft a large truck or other vehicle -- even a safe distance behind provides major benefits for range. I did it a few times when I was anxious about range on my drive from Baltimore to California last July.