Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Someone value my model S for me

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking about selling or trading in my Model S. Interested in informed opinions here on 2 values: trade-in and private sale. The window sticker is attached.

It's a 2014 S85 (december 2014 delivery, serial #63xxx), original owner, excellent condition, no accidents, in Central California. Note that it does have autopilot and is fully optioned. Original sale price was $102,970.

My opinion: private sale $50k, trade-in $45k.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• windowsticker.JPG
    windowsticker.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 112
What's the mileage? Specifically, is the odometer over 50K? Any extended warranty? If not, is it ESA-eligible?

I've been monitoring prices and I think you're close, but CA is a saturated market for used Teslas, at least compared to here on the East coast. CA also has unfavorable sales tax regulations for out-of-state buyers.

Check with Vroom and Carvana to find the floor for trade-in. For a private sale, the mileage and warranty/eligibility can make all the difference.

My gut tells me at worst, your estimates are high by ~$5K if your mileage is under 50K.

I would think you're way overestimating how much you'll get on trade-in to Tesla. I would guess they would offer you $36k. I would buy the extended warranty to make it an easier sale, and post it for sale for $55k. You would likely sell it very quickly at $45k, but should be able to sell it for $50k since it has AutoPilot, is fully loaded, and has low miles. Good luck with the sale!

I went online, carguys, kbb, etc printed out all the Tesla for sale. Put on the kitchen table and compared prices, rated best to worse
Then settled on 2. Called tesla for service records. Bought one.
If you pay cash, you can really deal, i got 10k off , paying hard cash.
I say dont buy a CPO, you cant drive before you pay for it. You cant inspect it. My opinion.

I went online, carguys, kbb, etc printed out all the Tesla for sale. Put on the kitchen table and compared prices, rated best to worse
Then settled on 2. Called tesla for service records. Bought one.
If you pay cash, you can really deal, i got 10k off , paying hard cash.
I say dont buy a CPO, you cant drive before you pay for it. You cant inspect it. My opinion.

That's not entirely true bud. You can drive and inspect a Tesla CPO purchase when you go to the dealer to do the paperwork. You always have the option then of not taking delivery if there are issues with the vehicle. Have been through this process twice with absolutely no issues.

Here's a similarly optioned MS, without 2nd charger and coils. for about $50k. Add $2500 for your additional options. So retail for your car is about $52.5k
From my personal experience, tesla gave me 10k less for my old car than what they sold it for. So wholesale on your car is probably about $43-45k.
Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 11.17.26 AM.png

i wasnt able to
drive or
see the car until after my cpo paperwork was all finished. honestly i felt like was was being rushed thru and being scammed. i didnt like the cpo process at all. i bought out of LA marina del rey

I found when I made a firm point that I was going to inspect the car before completing the transaction, they didn't give me a hard time about it. On my second CPO purchase, I went down and checked the car out on the Saturday before I finalized the deal the following Tuesday. Granted, by the second purchase I knew the guys and have a pretty good relationship with them. In general, I have found Tesla folks to be extremely helpful whenever I have been jammed up by something. As a former high end BMW and MB owner, I find their service far superior.

I found when I made a firm point that I was going to inspect the car before completing the transaction, they didn't give me a hard time about it. On my second CPO purchase, I went down and checked the car out on the Saturday before I finalized the deal the following Tuesday. Granted, by the second purchase I knew the guys and have a pretty good relationship with them. In general, I have found Tesla folks to be extremely helpful whenever I have been jammed up by something. As a former high end BMW and MB owner, I find their service far superior.

Luckily, you're in a state that allows Tesla to sell directly.

Out of the three Tesla, Carmax and Carvana, I got offered the most by Carvana($6k higher than Tesla). After I sold it myself someone mentioned success with texasdirectauto.com. Out of curiosity I tried their online quote and they came in $3k more than Carvana, and only $1k less than what I got for myself via private sale.