TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Someone value my model S for me

Discussion in 'Model S' started by eye.surgeon, Aug 24, 2018.

1. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Active Member

Thinking about selling or trading in my Model S. Interested in informed opinions here on 2 values: trade-in and private sale. The window sticker is attached.

It's a 2014 S85 (december 2014 delivery, serial #63xxx), original owner, excellent condition, no accidents, in Central California. Note that it does have autopilot and is fully optioned. Original sale price was $102,970.

My opinion: private sale $50k, trade-in $45k.

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. tstafford

tstafford Supporting Member

3. cellphonechris

What's the mileage? Specifically, is the odometer over 50K? Any extended warranty? If not, is it ESA-eligible?

I've been monitoring prices and I think you're close, but CA is a saturated market for used Teslas, at least compared to here on the East coast. CA also has unfavorable sales tax regulations for out-of-state buyers.

Check with Vroom and Carvana to find the floor for trade-in. For a private sale, the mileage and warranty/eligibility can make all the difference.

My gut tells me at worst, your estimates are high by ~$5K if your mileage is under 50K.

4. eye.surgeon

Sorry , it has 34k miles.

5. MIT_S60

MIT_S60 Member

I would think you're way overestimating how much you'll get on trade-in to Tesla. I would guess they would offer you $36k. I would buy the extended warranty to make it an easier sale, and post it for sale for $55k. You would likely sell it very quickly at $45k, but should be able to sell it for $50k since it has AutoPilot, is fully loaded, and has low miles. Good luck with the sale!

6. eye.surgeon

I'm not trading in to tesla.

7. MIT_S60

MIT_S60 Member

I wouldn't expect you to, as you would probably be offended by their offer price. Carvana seems to be a good option for those who don't want to wait for a private party buyer.

8. Lasttoy

Lasttoy Member

I went online, carguys, kbb, etc printed out all the Tesla for sale. Put on the kitchen table and compared prices, rated best to worse
    Then settled on 2. Called tesla for service records. Bought one.
    If you pay cash, you can really deal, i got 10k off , paying hard cash.
    I say dont buy a CPO, you cant drive before you pay for it. You cant inspect it. My opinion.

9. Jashev

Jashev Supporting Member

That's not entirely true bud. You can drive and inspect a Tesla CPO purchase when you go to the dealer to do the paperwork. You always have the option then of not taking delivery if there are issues with the vehicle. Have been through this process twice with absolutely no issues.

10. tmadvegas

tmadvegas Member

i wasnt able to
    drive or
    see the car until after my cpo paperwork was all finished. honestly i felt like was was being rushed thru and being scammed. i didnt like the cpo process at all. i bought out of LA marina del rey

11. Muzzman1

Muzzman1 Member

Here's a similarly optioned MS, without 2nd charger and coils. for about $50k. Add $2500 for your additional options. So retail for your car is about $52.5k
    From my personal experience, tesla gave me 10k less for my old car than what they sold it for. So wholesale on your car is probably about $43-45k.
    Screen Shot 2018-09-02 at 11.17.26 AM.png

12. Jashev

Jashev Supporting Member

I found when I made a firm point that I was going to inspect the car before completing the transaction, they didn't give me a hard time about it. On my second CPO purchase, I went down and checked the car out on the Saturday before I finalized the deal the following Tuesday. Granted, by the second purchase I knew the guys and have a pretty good relationship with them. In general, I have found Tesla folks to be extremely helpful whenever I have been jammed up by something. As a former high end BMW and MB owner, I find their service far superior.

13. cellphonechris

Luckily, you're in a state that allows Tesla to sell directly.

14. Jashev

Jashev Supporting Member

That is true. I have no idea what you would go through in a state that doesn't allow direct sales. You are in CT, so can't you go to a SC in Mass or NY?

15. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Member

I would say $45K tops, simply because a similar CPO would be under 50K from Tesla and includes a 4-year warranty.

16. Firewired

Firewired Member

Out of the three Tesla, Carmax and Carvana, I got offered the most by Carvana($6k higher than Tesla). After I sold it myself someone mentioned success with texasdirectauto.com. Out of curiosity I tried their online quote and they came in $3k more than Carvana, and only $1k less than what I got for myself via private sale.

17. cellphonechris

We have a SC in CT, but no stores due to stupid laws that don't allow manufacturers to sell directly. CT owners typically take delivery in Mt. Kisco, NY.